Help!! P1247/p0228

'02TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hey Guys,

I have been having a few issues with my 2002 Jetta TDI. I took it into the shop and my mechanic is telling my I need to replace cylinder 3 injector. His quote on the total job is about $850... Cant afford it currently but need to get the car in order because its my main ride to work.

Heres whats going on:

First it give me P1247 and P0228 codes.
I have the glow plug light blinking and the CEL on.
Engine start up it becoming rougher.....

He said the #3 injector has open circuit which is making it bad.

I have been looking on line and don't know what I should do in order to get the car back on the road.

I found a TDI within my model range in a pick-n-pull the injector will cost me $10 and however long it takes me to pull it, clean, and install in my car.

I came across "Hans Auto" that sells rebuilt one for a decent price

or

Buy it from one of the parts stores online.

Background on the car: purchased it a few years ago with 102k on it, no problems ever until now. Mainly used for commuting to work so highway miles, always make sure my fluids are good and change them on schedule. Car has 137k on it now.

Any help would be great...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey Guys,

I have been having a few issues with my 2002 Jetta TDI. I took it into the shop and my mechanic is telling my I need to replace cylinder 3 injector. His quote on the total job is about $850... Cant afford it currently but need to get the car in order because its my main ride to work.

Heres whats going on:

First it give me P1247 and P0228 codes.

I have the glow plug light blinking and the CEL on.

Engine start up it becoming rougher.....

He said the #3 injector has open circuit which is making it bad.

I have been looking on line and don't know what I should do in order to get the car back on the road.

I found a TDI within my model range in a pick-n-pull the injector will cost me $10 and however long it takes me to pull it, clean, and install in my car.

I came across "Hans Auto" that sells rebuilt one for a decent price

or

Buy it from one of the parts stores online.

Background on the car: purchased it a few years ago with 102k on it, no problems ever until now. Mainly used for commuting to work so highway miles, always make sure my fluids are good and change them on schedule. Car has 137k on it now.

Any help would be great...
Did your mechanic give you those codes? Those aren't vag codes, those are generic ones.
You need to verify that the injector 3 is bad before replacing it. To do that you need to use a multimeter and check the resistance between the two terminals on the plug for the third injector.

$850 sounds rather steep for just replacing number 3 injector. It's 30 minutes labor (if you're taking coffee breaks and going slow) and maybe $300 max for number 3 injector. It sounds like someone is trying to rip you off. (Imho)

Don't buy from Hans, he sells cheap junk Chinese parts, and his injectors could ruin your engine.

There are several reputable places, like idparts, kermatdi, and the likes, but I would doubt that injector 3 is your problem. I would recommend more testing to verify that's what's wrong.
Its common for a generic shop to mis-diagnose a tdi.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
No expert but I agree that $850 sounds steep. Injector removal slide tool is $50-100 and a FULL SET of new upgraded hot-swap injectors from idparts is $499 (plus core charge you get back). I mention this not because you need them, just for perspective.

For a part that's so accessible and commonly replaced (and explained online probably) don't go back to that shop. Figure out what's really wrong and go to another mechanic, or do it yourself if you're confident.

Investing in VCDS with the money you end up saving will help you in the future too. Good luck with what you decide!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

'02TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Alright guys I will stay clear of hans auto and when I have some time this weekend I will dig deeper into this. I plan on testing the injector myself with my multimeter. Also regarding the VCDS can I work this software off my MAC? or how can I purchase the software so I can dig deeper into my car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Buy cable here and download the software.

https://www.ross-tech.com/

People have run it off of their mac but in a virtual windows mode IIRC. I don't know about macs so you will have to search here and read how they did it. Or just buy a really cheap used windows machine for just this.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have a set of spare injectors (PP520) and access to an injector removal tool but will not be in Sacto area until Friday. I am willing to help but I am no expert.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a full set of .185 injectors out of my 2003 and you can have them all for say $100 + shipping? This gives you the number 3 injector cheap