LED Headlight Conversion Kits

vdubpassat

TDI
Passat
Hi,
I have a 2015 VW Passat and recently purchased an H7 LED conversion kit from www.streetglow.com. When I received it, I quickly realized it would not work because it is designed for cars that have the H7 plug/harness accessible outside of the headlight enclosure. As you likely know, the headlight enclosure on the newer Passats has a single wiring harness that delivers power to all of the bulbs and it is distributed internally within the enclosure...so, no H7 female to plug the bulb into. The factory bulb plugs into a small round gray holder which has metal conductors on the sides. The holder serves two purposes - 1. It complete the electrical circuit to get power to the bulb. 2. It twists into the opening in the enclosure and holds the bulb securely in place.
So, for my question - Does anyone know of an LED conversion kit that will work with my car? Or, are the some good mod plans that aren't too crazy difficult to get a kit to work/fit properly?

Thanks!
Ryan

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I don't know of an LED bulb conversion that works for ANY car worth a wet slap. But if you insist you should be able to source H7 connectors and construct a jumper. There is a single harness to the housing, but individual H7 connectors to the bulbs, right? That's how my 2015 works.

-mickey

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just for whatever it's worth, I did the LED conversion on my former Jetta and all I can say the lighting sucked big time.
LED's are not at the point to replace regular or HID lights, possibly with the exception of a factory LED setup on cars I can't afford.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On June 21st I purchased a WINPOWER headlight set off eBay. It arrived 10 days later. TOTALLY plug and play. Just had to mount and ground the 2 ballasts which came with the lights. Completely CANBUS for no errors. Cost about US $ 600.00 shipped to me.

The projector Low beam has a D2H HID bulb and the high beam has a H1 HID bulb.Also has Angel eyes, a LED brow over the lights and a sequential LED turn signal.

Nice sharp cutoff lights going up toward the right where traffic signs are.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
can you post the pics of the cut off?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Until I get around to getting a picture of the lights, these are the ones I bought. PLUG and PLAY !

BTW, the seller is open to offers but not ridiculous low ballers.:confused:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For some reason I can not make the pictures any bigger. Just found ou that if you click the picture it enlarges.

Winpower Low beams

Winpower High beams

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
New Winpower HID headlight pictures

Low beams

High beams

Low beams on local road

High beams

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
nice cut off, def looks like a worthwhile purchase

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would be nice to find a reliable Win Power model for a 2004 Passat (B5.5) but I could not so far.
I would suggest that the market for a 2004 is very small and is not worthwhile for anyone to produce/manufacture any longer.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I would suggest that the market for a 2004 is very small and is not worthwhile for anyone to produce/manufacture any longer.
Thanks for the reply. You have a point. I am going to do some research about my options from The Retrofit Source (TRS). Unfortunately they do not sell HID compatible headlights.