Engine fault - workshop! Not HPFP??

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
My '09 JSW is having an issue I can duplicate on command, but I currently don't have the dough to buy a VCDS cable, not to mention I've been told by those much smarter than me, that I am only shooting in the dark with my issue anyway, but I wanted to see if anyone else had my same symptoms. I know this has been covered somewhat and I have ready many of those threads, but they don't seem to be the same symptoms for this error.

When I accelerate at a moderate pace I get the above error with one flash of the glow plug light. It goes away and does not store any codes. It only happens when RPM's are below 2k. I can accelerate slowly and not get the error, or hard to force a downshift.

It doesn't feel like it stumbles and if there weren't a audible *ding* I'm not sure I would have noticed the issue readily.

Andrew - Mr. CP3 fuel pump guy, lent me his spare metering valve on the HPFP to give that a try, but that didn't change anything. Obviously, I was targeting the HPFP especially since the car is approaching 119k and the HPFP warranty is up at 120k. But I am not convinced it's fuel related. I wonder if it's intake related.

Anyone have similar experience out there? I don't like the idea of waiting for whatever part to fail and possible cause worse issues.

Appreciate any help!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
You will need to find someone local with a VCDS, or purchase one of the used Hex-CAN or Micro-CAN units in the classifieds.

If the Engine Fault light gets lit and then goes off, the car does store a code. The code reader you used to read the code does not read VW specific codes, the typical code reader reads generic emissions codes.

VCDS will tell you the code, then you will have the problem information you need to research the resolution.

Last edited:

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I just recently had to clean my throttle valve that was sticking. its just behind the radiator. first item on hose coming up from intercooler. Mine was showing code P0638. Once in a while I would also get a code for excessive EGR flow because of the throttle valve sticking.

Go to a auto parts store so you can at least get the generic OBD II codes. that should give you some direction on which way to start.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the response. I have had this issue intermittently since I bought it in August. It has been into two different VW dealers who found no code. Perhaps I'll call my local VW dealer once again and explain my issue and see what they recommend. I just worry about what they will charge and not find anything concrete.

I've been eyeing the classifieds, but I get confused as to which VCDS will work on my car. I believe I have an CJAA engine, but I am clueless to know what that actually means.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I've been eyeing the classifieds, but I get confused as to which VCDS will work on my car. I believe I have an CJAA engine, but I am clueless to know what that actually means.
I believe that VCDS is based on the electronics in the car, not the engine.
Per the Ross-Tech page

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Diagnostic_Procedures#Volkswagen

when you find your model and year, go to the detail page, it will show the VCDS Interface Hardware that works with your car.

The model to choose is based on the VIN, the 7th and 8th digits, like "1K" which is probably in your VIN.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
It appears I can use the following:

HEX-V2, HEX-NET, HEX+CAN, Micro-CAN based on the link that says
VW Golf/Golf Plus/Jetta Wagon (JSW)/Golf Variant (5K/52/AJ) 2009+

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Alternatively, for $40-50, you can buy a VAG401 scan tool that's VAG-specific and will give you the same code information as VCDS. Nowhere near as convenient for coding things though.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Thanks for the response. I have had this issue intermittently since I bought it in August. It has been into two different VW dealers who found no code. Perhaps I'll call my local VW dealer once again and explain my issue and see what they recommend. I just worry about what they will charge and not find anything concrete.

The trouble with calling and trying to explain something to them is your not talking to a maintenance person. your talking to a salesman (service advisor). Sometimes the service advisor is an ex-mechanic, but not often. Seems if you have seen the glowplug light flash on, the computer should have stored a fault code.

good luck on getting this figured out.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
The trouble with calling and trying to explain something to them is your not talking to a maintenance person. your talking to a salesman (service advisor). Sometimes the service advisor is an ex-mechanic, but not often. Seems if you have seen the glowplug light flash on, the computer should have stored a fault code.

good luck on getting this figured out.

And that is one of the reasons I haven't called yet, because they'll just say "bring it in $$".

I'm going tighten our budget a little and get a scanner of some sort soon. I've been offered a couple of Ross-tech's already that will work. I may be asking questions on what I should start monitoring to see the issue.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
In Highland, about 40 min West of StL. But I will have a vcds on it's way to me soon.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In Highland, about 40 min West of StL. But I will have a vcds on it's way to me soon.
If I lived only 40 minutes from StL (east or west:rolleyes:) and I was stumped with a problem and my car was drive-able, I would probably be seeking out oilhammer in StL. If VCDS doesn't tell us enough to figure it out, this would be my next move, if I were you.

Have Fun!

Don

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Oilhammer and I have been in contact. He's not sure of my issue either.
I do have a vcds headed my way, so I'm hoping I can start ruling things out.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
NO...

The sad part about it, I haven't even tried to use my VCDS. Just been going too many directions!

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
This is moving up my list. I am trying to get a new laptop setup for work, and once that is complete, I can then use my current one to go with my VCDS. So if time allows, I am hoping to start learning next week!