possible fix for P2201 code

todds87ss

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2012 Passat SE
Please forgive the "no newbie introduction", but I've been around the planet a while, and do not need that sort of validation. I recently purchased a 2012 NMS Passat TDI from a local dealer to replace my trusty 2003 jetta TDI. I did not perform my usual due diligence, as I was stoked about getting such a great price. After about 100 miles, the CEL lit up. I scanned it and noted a P2201. No problem, let's see what the interwebz say...(crickets....). There is not much info out there regarding the NOX code, except replace the sensor. Well, it's not an O2 sensor at 40 bux. It runs $400 or so. Gotta be another fix...So I got out the O2 sensor socket and went to work. The first thing I noted was a very dirty O2 sensor (under the hood, by the firewall). OK, pull it and clean it. Shot some trusty carb cleaner on it and let it dry. Next, the NOX sensor. Tougher to find, this one is under the car, about 1/2 way to the tailpipe. Looks like an O2 sensor and uses the same size socket. I do not advise using a wrench, as rounding off is likely. Pulled this one, and could not see through the small pin-holes on it. OK, spray carb cleaner into a small glass jar, and soak the sensor for a minute. After shaking off the excess and letting it dry, I could now see daylight through the pinholes. It was reinstalled. I let it sit overnight just to make sure that the sensors had completely dried. Then I started it. I have waited to post this until the readiness codes reset, and the CEL has remained off for 500 miles. If your P2201 is causing you to lose sleep, try cleaning first.

Happy trails,
Todd

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Nice post, Todd.

NOx sensors are like O2 sensors. You're always wondering if it's the system it's meant to measure or the sensor itself that's the problem.

Thanks for the info (and experimentation).

Kyle

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Todd, do you remember what size socket this takes? I may have to do this soon, as I just got the P2201 code this morning.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I had the NOX codes pop up on my 2013 with 40k on it. After VW refused to do anything about it, I took the sensor out and sprayed starting fluid (ether) in all the little holes until it sprayed out uniformly on the other sides. Then I let it dry and put it back in. So far, no more codes. It has been a couple hundred miles. Might be too early to tell for sure if it is going to work or not.

PacoTDI

TDI
Passat TDI 2013 SE
Hi its a 22mm socket .U can buy the open socket or O2 socket like Todd explained.

Last edited:

PacoTDI

TDI
Passat TDI 2013 SE
I had the NOX codes pop up on my 2013 with 40k on it. After VW refused to do anything about it, I took the sensor out and sprayed starting fluid (ether) in all the little holes until it sprayed out uniformly on the other sides. Then I let it dry and put it back in. So far, no more codes. It has been a couple hundred miles. Might be too early to tell for sure if it is going to work or not.
Did the cleanup fixe your NOX issue? Pulled mine cleaned it and unfortunately after 350Km the F.....ng CEL came back on..... I was wondering if de DEF could be the cause ??? crystalisation in systeme , frozen DEF ? :confused:

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Did the cleanup fixe your NOX issue? Pulled mine cleaned it and unfortunately after 350Km the F.....ng CEL came back on..... I was wondering if de DEF could be the cause ??? crystalisation in systeme , frozen DEF ? :confused:
So far the code has not returned. I have driven the car about 500 miles since I cleaned it.

todds87ss

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2012 Passat SE
Just an update...10K miles and no CEL. I'm calling success.

For the tool, most auto parts stores have free loaner O2 sensor removal tools. They are hardened steel (typically) and work very well.

saizzz

TDI
2011 Touareg TDI
+1 for cleaning being the fix for a NOx CEL on my 2013 Touareg TDI. VW was quoting $800 for the repair. Removed the sensor, cleaned it with a rag, then used compressed air to blow soot out of the sensor holes. Reset the codes with a $10 VAG-Com rental and it looks good so far.

Sadly, I had already ordered Part Number 8K0907807 using my goodwill credit. I'll probably try to unload on ebay.

Anyway, just wanted to encourage those with NOx sensor faults to try cleaning before replacing. It's not a cheap part.

Greg

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
the code just popped in my passat 2013, what do you think about cleanin the sensor with ultrasonic cleaner??? i have on home...

jettskiman

TDI
2012 Passat
Please forgive the "no newbie introduction", but I've been around the planet a while, and do not need that sort of validation. I recently purchased a 2012 NMS Passat TDI from a local dealer to replace my trusty 2003 jetta TDI. I did not perform my usual due diligence, as I was stoked about getting such a great price. After about 100 miles, the CEL lit up. I scanned it and noted a P2201. No problem, let's see what the interwebz say...(crickets....). There is not much info out there regarding the NOX code, except replace the sensor. Well, it's not an O2 sensor at 40 bux. It runs $400 or so. Gotta be another fix...So I got out the O2 sensor socket and went to work. The first thing I noted was a very dirty O2 sensor (under the hood, by the firewall). OK, pull it and clean it. Shot some trusty carb cleaner on it and let it dry. Next, the NOX sensor. Tougher to find, this one is under the car, about 1/2 way to the tailpipe. Looks like an O2 sensor and uses the same size socket. I do not advise using a wrench, as rounding off is likely. Pulled this one, and could not see through the small pin-holes on it. OK, spray carb cleaner into a small glass jar, and soak the sensor for a minute. After shaking off the excess and letting it dry, I could now see daylight through the pinholes. It was reinstalled. I let it sit overnight just to make sure that the sensors had completely dried. Then I started it. I have waited to post this until the readiness codes reset, and the CEL has remained off for 500 miles. If your P2201 is causing you to lose sleep, try cleaning first.

Happy trails,
Todd
This is a pretty old post but thought I'd chime in. Just bought 2012 Passat from an old couple (like 92 years old) had it a couple weeks now and same issue with the P2201. Not gonna screw with it myself because the emissions warranty is still good for another 20k because of the buyback so I got an appointment at the stealership. I'm betting both sensors are probably plugged just like yours mainly from grandma putting back n forth to the grocery store for the last 3 years in it. Probably never getting it above 2000 rpm. Then me taking it out on the road and blowing the carbon out of it. I've owned an 05 Benz cdi for about 12 years now and always take it out and run it hard once in a while. I really think it's good for these diesel's to keep them clean so to speak. I've never had a check engine light come on in the cdi accept for when the glow plugs wear out. Anyway just my 2 cents. I'm new to the TDI family so there could be more particulate filters and stuff on them but hopefully I'll plug everything up and get all brand new parts while I've still got the warranty.

Fish

TDI
06 brm
This is a pretty old post but thought I'd chime in. Just bought 2012 Passat from an old couple (like 92 years old) had it a couple weeks now and same issue with the P2201. Not gonna screw with it myself because the emissions warranty is still good for another 20k because of the buyback so I got an appointment at the stealership. I'm betting both sensors are probably plugged just like yours mainly from grandma putting back n forth to the grocery store for the last 3 years in it. Probably never getting it above 2000 rpm. Then me taking it out on the road and blowing the carbon out of it. I've owned an 05 Benz cdi for about 12 years now and always take it out and run it hard once in a while. I really think it's good for these diesel's to keep them clean so to speak. I've never had a check engine light come on in the cdi accept for when the glow plugs wear out. Anyway just my 2 cents. I'm new to the TDI family so there could be more particulate filters and stuff on them but hopefully I'll plug everything up and get all brand new parts while I've still got the warranty.
Hey jettskiman it may be a old post but the issue is still relevant haha. I just bought a 2012 Passat tdi and am having the same issue. I cleaned the NOX sensor even though it did not look dirty, no luck. Decided that the sensor must be bad and went ahead and spent $380 on a new sensor I most likely didn't need. While I was installing the new sensor I did notice that the wiring harness looked pretty beat up so after the P2201 code came back, naturally I cut out all the jumper connections to NOX and soldered new wires in with good connections. Using a multimeter to confirm, the sensor was getting power and voltages were holding relatively constant proving good connections. Sure enough, code is back and I have no idea what to do next. If you could update me with your findings at the dealer that would be great! Or if any one else in here has some ideas I'd love to hear them! I just don't want to pay VW an arm and a leg to redo the work I have already done.

jettskiman

TDI
2012 Passat
Hey jettskiman it may be a old post but the issue is still relevant haha. I just bought a 2012 Passat tdi and am having the same issue. I cleaned the NOX sensor even though it did not look dirty, no luck. Decided that the sensor must be bad and went ahead and spent $380 on a new sensor I most likely didn't need. While I was installing the new sensor I did notice that the wiring harness looked pretty beat up so after the P2201 code came back, naturally I cut out all the jumper connections to NOX and soldered new wires in with good connections. Using a multimeter to confirm, the sensor was getting power and voltages were holding relatively constant proving good connections. Sure enough, code is back and I have no idea what to do next. If you could update me with your findings at the dealer that would be great! Or if any one else in here has some ideas I'd love to hear them! I just don't want to pay VW an arm and a leg to redo the work I have already done.
Will do, Its going in on the 21st I think, I take it yours is past the warranty period. Did you run the vin to see when the mod was done? It's good for 55000 miles or 4 years I think from the time it had the mod done. Put your vin in this site.

Fish

TDI
06 brm
Will do, Its going in on the 21st I think, I take it yours is past the warranty period. Did you run the vin to see when the mod was done? It's good for 55000 miles or 4 years I think from the time it had the mod done. Put your vin in this site.
Yeah, I did double check but unfortunately it has passed on both the milage and the timeframe for the valid warrantee. Thank you though! Wishing a speedy fix for your P2201!

jettskiman

TDI
2012 Passat
Just wanted to update ya, The dealer replaced the NOX sensor and that was all they had to do. Didnt see a cost breakdown because it was under the emissions warranty. Ya just need to find a friend close by that has a Passat that's still under the warranty and ask him/her if you can trade them NOX sensors. Then they could just take it in!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would never agree to anything like that. Swapping parts only applies to my own cars. Why would someone do this and have to go through all the trouble of getting it replaced, if they could, just so you don't have to pay for a part? Why would you suggest theft and collusion as a viable solution? Why would you involve your friend in it too?