Polar-FIS : integrated alternative to scangauge?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
How do people here like the Polarfis PF03? It sounds like it has all the functionality you get with Xgauges on the scangauge 2, plus DPF ash load, also displays four variables at a time, but is completely integrated into the MFD/MFI:

It also allows some customization of the car (mirror dip for parking, adjust one-shot turn signal duration).
Has anybody here tried it? I could only find one previous thread.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The PolarFis is great. You can have up to 10 screens of 4 parameters each. Talk about info overload. The update rate is top-notch and very fast - I'd call it real time, since it is intercepting all of the canbus signals as they pass through the canbus gateway. Yeah, it's a bit pricey at 257 euros ~ $350 with shipping, plus you can do on-line updating of the firmware. It is pretty informative to see how many miles you get between DPF regens, the soot load in grams, watch the soot load diminish to 0 during a regen, see the miles reset to zero and start over again, etc, etc. Air intake temp, radiator water temp out, engine coolant temp out, and more. The biggest plus is not having to enter all the HEX code as you have to do for the scan gage. One mistake, and you're screwed. The PolarFis puts itself onto your phone menu MFI screens. You get a call, it goes to that and comes back to P-F afterwards. You can program all parameters you want to see and on which screen simply using the right side MFSW buttons - up, down and OK. I should make a video showing the screens I got so far.

Here is a link to a video that shows the 4 screens I have programmed. Little bit of washout from the sun, but still readable.
Polar Fis+ Demo

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The PolarFis puts itself onto your phone menu MFI screens. You get a call, it goes to that and comes back to P-F afterwards.
One minor correction: The Polar FIS+ does not install itself as a phone, so it does not use the phone screen. It creates up to 10 of its own screens, unrelated to the phone. Everything else you said was right on.

There is (was?) another similar product from Kufatec called the E-MFA which did install as a phone. Also, it only worked on red MFD clusters and it had many fewer options, but I used to have one. Anyway, it sometimes caused problems when used with a bluetooth units (both trying to write to the same screen at the same time). This is not an issue with the Polar FIS+ because it uses an entirely different address on the CAN bus. It does not show up in a VCDS autoscan, but if you use VCDS and look at the CAN bus installed controller list you will find one called "Telematics" (IIRC) which is the Polar unit.

Have Fun!

Don

JP-2010

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
What is a good place to purchase the Polar FIS in US?
I am going to add one to my 2010 TDI Jetta.

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Does anyone know if this is compatible with a 2015 Jetta TDI SE? I am reading mixed reports... Also waiting on a reply from KermaTDI, but figured I'd ask here in the meantime.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Does anyone know if this is compatible with a 2015 Jetta TDI SE? I am reading mixed reports... Also waiting on a reply from KermaTDI, but figured I'd ask here in the meantime.
http://www.auto-polar.com/support_area/

http://www.kermatdi.com/polarfis-advanced-dashboard-display/

How do I know my car is compatible?
Locate the 2-character code that is between parenthesis in our list of compatible vehicles, for example 8P for the "Audi A3 (8P)", and check the characters on the 7 and 8 positions of your vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
If you find the same 8P code in these positions then it is compatible: WAUZZZ8P77A021568
This same example is applicable for Seat, Audi, Volkswagen and Skoda which are the supported brands by the product.
Any Jetta with a 5C VIN will support the white PolarFIS unit.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Absolutely Not Compatible......The Jetta 6 uses Polo electronics......ask me how I know it is not Compatible......I have a P3 cars in my 2015 Jetta TDI SEL since new

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think the GLI is the only mk6 jetta that got the good electronics. I just installed a polar unit on my golf two weeks ago. It's pretty awesome.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Actually just did a search and they will have a Beta version for the MQB platform available soon.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually just did a search and they will have a Beta version for the MQB platform available soon.
I suspect that they will have to come up with a different way to connect into the CAN system. In MK5 and MK6 cars it plugs directly into the CAN Gateway (above the brake pedal) between the Gateway and the infotainment bus. As I understand it (and I could be wrong) the MK7 (MQB) has its CAN Gateway integrated into the instrument panel. It is no longer a separate component above the brake pedal. They might just need to find another (relatively convenient) place to plug it into the system and then update the software.

Have Fun!

Don

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
We should be getting a new prototype to test for the Mk7 this week.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I bought my polarfis a year ago, literally last September. They were "weeks away" from the MQB release. I still have the unit and have even inquired about testing a beta version. Still patiently waiting because it would be a fantastic unit!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Small update from an email Auto-Polar sent out a few days ago:

"Hi to all,

First of all, give you thanks for all your interest in our PolarFIS product and for contact with us.
At this point, we are very close to release the first initial beta for this platform, and we need a little help from your side.
In the case that you have one MK7 model (Skoda, Seat, Golf), we need that you send us an AUTOSCAN of your vehicle, we are looking for different configurations or variants that can exists.

In case you have one of this models, and you send us this file, we will appreciate very much, and will help us to finish more faster (and stable) the first beta firmware.
For any other concern or doubt, as always feel free to contact me here, anytime.

Thanks in advance for all your help and collaboration,
With best regards!"

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In case you have one of this models, and you send us this file, we will appreciate very much, and will help us to finish more faster (and stable) the first beta firmware.
For any other concern or doubt, as always feel free to contact me here, anytime.
I have an FIS+ unit and a new MQB car. I would love it if I could install it instead of selling it. The only email address I can find on their website is info@auto-polar.com. Is this the email address they want autoscans sent to or do they have a tech support email address? I'd be happy to sent them a scan.

Have Fun!

Don

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an FIS+ unit and a new MQB car. I would love it if I could install it instead of selling it. The only email address I can find on their website is info@auto-polar.com. Is this the email address they want autoscans sent to or do they have a tech support email address? I'd be happy to sent them a scan.

Have Fun!

Don
The email address to reply to is just sales@auto-polar.com

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
I'm hoping that I will love mine as well. Just kinda wished that something would have been said on their site or karma about it not working with the new "fix" from audi. Also before I get my remote start installed does anyone know if it can be hooked up to the gateway as well.