Road trip distance?

UsArmyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta (rip)
on the 27th im going from fort hood texas to deltona florida; about 1,137 miles one way. im drivng straight threwonly stoping for potty brakes. it will be intresting cause the wife will be in the passenger seat.

Dieselbra

TDI
2011 Golf
on the 27th im going from fort hood texas to deltona florida; about 1,137 miles one way. im drivng straight threwonly stoping for potty brakes. it will be intresting cause the wife will be in the passenger seat.
I'm working at fort hood on the future Darnall hospital project. Good luck with Florida.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Taking my vacation out to California for 2 weeks on June 2nd. Final destination is Chowchilla. 1,681 Miles from my place to my Moms. should be alot of fun. Hope to join the 600 mile tank club

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Leaving next Sunday for TDI Fest, via Lethbridge Alberta and Eureka California with stops at SLC Utah, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and any other interesting thing we see along the way.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Just got back from Washington state backpacking in the Olympic National Park Hoh Rain Forest.
Left with 55 gals Bio diesel in trunk and a full tank filled up in Sequim Wa. with reg diesel
Turned over 100,000 miles as was driving onto boat to Bainbridge Island.
The trip was just at 4800 miles round trip.
It was nice to leave temps in the 100's and see 45 to 75 for temps.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Summer Vacation

I was gone for 23 days. 23 states, 6 National Parks and 7800 miles.

Greenville, SC; Dodge City, KS; Colorado Cuty, Grand Junction, Durango, CO;
Mexican Hat, Payson, Salt Lake City, Ogden, UT; Twin Falls, ID; Glacier National Park, MT; Williston, ND; Deadwood, Lead, Sturgis, Wall, SD; North Plate, NE; Oelwein, IA, Milwaukee, WI; Chicago, IL; then a straight shot home

2005 Golf TDI, 204000 miles, no problems on the trip.

Howard Garner

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
My favorite road trip so far was 3900 miles, 13 states in 15 days. One crooked route from Key West to Pittsburgh. The day after I got back I moved 900 miles across 3 states.

Then there are the road trips like last weekend to take care of family. 1200 miles, 19 hours of driving during a 60 hour window from leaving the driveway to being back in it.

magicmanwon

TDI
1980 MB 300sd,1990 Dodge cummins td, 1998 MB E300 TDI, 1996 Dodge cummins TDI, VW 2001 New Beattle TDI
road trip

Well put - I prefer the "Blue Highways" but don't always have the time for it. Still, it's a state of mind.

To be an official road trip I'd say it has to be more than one tank of fuel. Overnights are optional but preferred...
I dont think that we should consider one tank of fuel as a road trip. I have a 1.9 TDI in my 83 Rabbit pickup its gets good mileage BUT I have a 33 gal tank in the bed (off of one of my wrecked NPR's) plus the 16 gal under the bed........I refill at around 2000miles......... that is more then a road trip. I think a road trip is anywhere that takes one out of the driveway for an hour or longer. Like from Abq. to Santa Fe with only one stop to check the air in the rt rear tire. ;o) nuff said..

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Gosh, if we define a road trip that way, magicmanwon, then 9/10ths of my daily driving is road trips! Just going to lunch would qualify, even, as some of my favorite restaurants are 20-50 miles away.

donz26

TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSC
Just finished a 2 week/5000 mile big circle road trip from St. Louis to Monterey Bay, Cal. and back. I drove a mix interstate, divided, and two lane, including sections of Route 66, the Lincoln highway, and "The Lonliest road in America". I took in 3 National Parks, (Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, and Death Valley, along with Petroglyph National Monument, and several museums along the way. Oh, and I watched my favorite niece get married on a cliff overlooking Monterey Bay.

Averaged 43 mpg for the trip, including one tank of 608.5 miles.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I have done 3 trips from Houston to Cincinnati and back. I'm fixing to make that trip again next week when I return from Brazil. I am currently working on details and plans for a BIG trip next summer with the Jetta.

Houston-Cincinnati-Ketchikan-Anchorage-Fairbanks-Cincinnati-Dallas-Houston....throwing the trip on Google Maps, it looks like I'll pull at least 11000 miles when it's all said done. Plans are bicycling, hiking, Ziplining, and Kayaking with tent camping as preferred choice for living accommodations. I'm certainly getting stoked about making this trip!

Bomber2k9

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
My longest road trip was a 9 hour drive one way to Eugene, Oregon from Modesto California to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I'm planning on repeating it on the 25th.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
My longest road trip was a 9 hour drive one way to Eugene, Oregon from Modesto California to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. I'm planning on repeating it on the 25th.
I hope you made it easily on 1 tank!

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Taking my vacation out to California for 2 weeks on June 2nd. Final destination is Chowchilla. 1,681 Miles from my place to my Moms. should be alot of fun. Hope to join the 600 mile tank club
I frequently drive between Austin and Ocean Springs, MS (600+ miles) on a fill up at each end, and I might fudge a bit on the speed limit!

qsabe

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
Fall of 2010 the first road trip was to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, 350 miles up to try out the new car. That was followed last summer by one from south of Detroit to Acadia in Maine over several days. That trip was great fun as the GPS system was programmed to take us over non-Freeway, non-Toll Roads back country driving on winding twisty mountain roads. Just back from a trip to Key West, Florida, freeways and toll roads included. Mileage for that trip was between 40 and 50 mpg, with the better when I held my lead foot up some. I like wandering back roads so after getting to Jacksonville did the coastal highway down and back. Leaving in the next couple weeks for the southwest to shoot a few desert videos. Absolutely love this car, except when in Suburbs where women in huge boxes, on cell phones make maneuvering difficult.

Last edited:

Solamia

TDI
2001 Blue Jetta TDI (380K mi)
I've gone from Lawrence, KS (West of Kansas City) to Milwaukee a couple of times. It was 630 miles one way and I didn't have to fill up until we drove around Milwaukee the next day! Love it!

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
Vilano Beach Florida to DesPlaines Illinois

Left Vilano Beach Florida at 6:15 AM (ET), and arrived in DesPlaines Illinois at 9:30 PM (CT). 16 hours 15 minutes to travel 1,120 miles. 68.9 MPH average is not that bad. Filled up the day before the trip, and one time 30 miles north of Nashville. Computer said 43.2 MPG. I was too lazy to check it with pencil and paper. The speed limit was 70 MPH most of the way. Pity we don't have an Autobahn, like the good people of Atlanta think they do!

Biz

TDI
2012 Jetta
Just got back from a 5200 mile road trip, Boston to Albuquerque NM and back. 5230 miles on 117 gallons of fuel, just under 45mpg avg. Speeds mostly 75mph +/- and car loaded with passenger and luggage. Not bad.

Across OK and NM heading west, there was a high wind warning, dust storm kicking up, tumbleweeds blowing around, 30-50mph headwinds and I dropped 10 mpg to around 35 mpg for a full tank or so.

Check-engine light came in in NM after a trip to a 10,000 ft pass in Taos. Dealer claims they have seen issues with diesels running at higher altitudes. The regen cycle failed to start. Dealer forced a regen cycle and everything was fine.

Also the low tire pressure came on despite a recent 10K mile service. Dealer says they are sensitive to 1/4 psi difference. Weird.

All in all a great late break-in trip! Great car to drive.

The_Gurb

TDI
2002 Golf
Had my self a road trip from Grande Prairie, Alberta to Edmonton, Alberta. 900+ km total 11 hours of driving. all to pick up a used 11mm pump for 350 dollar =) used 45 liters and had a blast!

in2dwww

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan 6MT - sold
8 Day span

8,754 Miles

Los Angeles > Cupertino, CA > Washington D.C. > Cupertino, CA in ONE WEEK.

I was living in LA and had a job interview in Silicon Valley before starting a new contract in DC. When I arrived in DC, I got the offer of a lifetime. So I went back to CA.

Total driving time was 5 days. I worked in DC for 3 days.

Ironically, I'm now back in DC.

Last edited:
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi Cup
I need a good road trip. I've been at home on my back for 5 months after having 5 inches of my spine removed.
**I took a road trip from Baltimore to Texas in 23 hours of driving. I stopped for 1 1/2 hours for a nap. The rest was driving.
**I took another trip with my brand new TDI and got 700 miles out of one tank of gas!

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
8,754 Miles

Total driving time was 5 days. I worked in DC for 3 days.

5 days = 120 hours.

You'd have to average 72.95 mph for 5 solid days.

Is it just me, or does this seem impossible?

It also seems your route should only be about 6,600 miles round trip?

Maybe you meant kilometers?

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
This year me and my mom didn't get to use our TDI for the Tarpon Springs paddling camp. We rode on someone else's 2008 Chevy Uplander 3.9L, averaged 10 L / 100 km (4.26 gal / 100 mi). With 4 occupants, that's 2.5 L / 100 km or 1.06 gal / 100 mi per person. Route is I-75 all the way, 2255 km / 1401 miles, crusing at mostly 114 km/h or 71 mph. (I made a fuelly entry on somebody elses car)

Our last year's same trip on our not-yet-broken TDI (~8000 km odo at start of trip) was 6.1 L / 100 km (2.6 gal / 100 mi), with 2 occupants giving 3 L / 100 km or 1.28 gal / 100 mi per person. Route is I-79 / I-77. 2149 km / 1335 mi, cruise speed is 121-124 km/h or 75-77 mph.

We live in Toronto, Canada.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Converting... The Uplander got 23.5 miles per gallon, and the TDI 38.5 mpg. You say you were going to a paddling camp; any watercraft on either vehicle?

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Neither.

The camp was on dragonboat and outrigger canoes.

The coach's family's V6-powered Ford F150, hawled a rather large number of the outrigger canoes, along with a motorized coach boat, while consuming about 30 L / 100 km on the highway,

Last edited:

Luskavarna

TDI
MkIII AHU, mk1 NA/IDI the-iron-muel
820 miles with 3 kids, wife and only bath room stops. Mk3 jetta, 520's, Ko4, 2.5'' side dump, and a sun roof. 720 miles on tank.

davehyatt

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagon
Just got back from a one way road trip, Seattle to Victorville, Ca I think about 1200 mile. Just bought a Jetta SportWagon, couldn't find what I wanted at the local dealer so I bought one in Seattle. Only Issue I live in Victorville, Ca. Road Trip Problem Solved.... Averaged about 44MPG for the whole thrip, car drives great, could have got better MPG but after it hit 600 then 1000 miles had some fun on the open roads...

2012 JSW, DSG, Candy White, Sunroof, Nav.

dpallison

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6 speed
Long Island NY to Grand Canyon

Took a fantastic trip last summer with my wife. 2 weeks, 6351 miles and 149 gallons. I don't think that is too shabby :). Most driving was between 75-80mph, with one burst to 102 in the Arizona desert. Doing another one this summer, and hopefully every summer to come. New to the site, glad I found it. LOVE my TDI!

Last edited:

Soltero

TDI
MK5, MK6 DSG // Q7 4.2TDI
Hello budies, i came here because we are planning a long trip and i would ask all of you for some advice.

I want to go from Guadalajara, Mexico to Edmonton, Canada and i've never gone in car that far, but I have family there and i would love to travel thru the states and also canada, my question is refering to foreign cars, i wanna go in my 2008 jetta, it is a 1.9L tdi with the dsg gearbox, in mexico is known as Bora, i have mexican plates and i'd love to know if some of you know what is needed to travel with my car, i mean, american insurance or what kind of requirements, because i heard that my mexican insurance just covers liability in the us, would it be recommendable to buy an insurance in the us? And if i do that, will it work in canada? I guess the trip will last 2 months - 2 mo 2 weeks

The other thing is that the distance is about 10,000 kilometers, so if I service the car before the trip like changing the oil and all the necessary, Will i just need to refuel my car with diesel during the trip?

Sorry if my english is horrible but i just wanted to ask the experienced guys! Thanks a lot for your time!!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I don't know exactly what the minimum insurance requirements are for driving a foreign-registered car in these United States as each state sets their own minimums. I'd suggest asking your insurance company, a U.S. Consulate, etc. Does Mexico have a nationwide auto club like AAA here and CAA in Canada? If so, they might be able to help you.

As for Canada, when I drove from California to Vancouver, British Columbia 3 years ago, I had to have a form that said my insurance met Canadian minimums.