remote start

antoine

hi
i don't know if this is the right forum to post sorry if not
i got a golf TDI 115bhp year2000 model and want to know if it is possible to install an alarm with a remote engine starter?
regards
tony:)

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
If you have an automatic transmission it's possible. If you have a manual, you'd have to disable the clutch interlock mechanism and then you'd run the risk of putting your car through the wall if you left it in gear

Good luck.

j

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Some of the newer ones have a safty for manual trannys. The problem is finding one with a delay for the glow plugs though it will start most of the time with out waiting on the glow plugs. DO a search there was a tread back this winter on this subject i do not know what they came up with.

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
I had an AstroStart remote car starter installed in my wife's car (not a diesel) and all of their models will work with a diesel. If I remember the manual correctly you need one additional relay module for the GP's (available from the dealer). It has an input to monitor the GP lamp but if you (or your installer) choose not to tie into the GP lamp circuit it will just cycle the GP's for 15 seconds before starting.

The Astrostart wasn't cheap but it works great on my wife's car and the remote has a 2000 foot range.

Rick

IGotaTDI

It is easily possible to add a remote start system to a MKIV TDI.

I have a Viper 550 ESP Alarm System with Remote Start and it will work with glow plugs, (Built in delay capabilities) You really have to make sure to go to an alarm installer that is familiar with VW's and hopefully TDI's.

I'd suggest only buying a remote start product from DEI as well.... That includes anything from Clifford, to Viper, To Python, Hornet, or at the lowest end - Avital.

IT WILL NOT WARM YOUR CAR UP, Be aware of that. You have to drive a tdi to warm it up.... at idle.... you get nothing.

It'll only help to cool you down in the summer....

Good luck...