misfueling guard failure? [solved - pump had a gas nozzle on it]

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
2013 sel premium, 500 miles, $35000, and I can't refuel it, misfuel guard would not release, it was no immediate problem since I still had a 1/4 tank. Diagnosis: replace fuel tank, should have fixed and kept my 05

EDIT! Problem SOLVED! Diesel pump had a gasoline sized nozzle attached to it and it wouldn't release the misfuel preventer's flap! No problem with the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
not many feelings worse than spending a chunk of hard earned money on a brand new car then having issues like this. GL whatever happens, keep us posted.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying the filler tube is part of the fuel tank?

-- AtlantaRene
tank, neck guard and cap are apparently one piece, there are no tanks in the pipeline, one has been red ordered, its coming off the assembly line in TN :(

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
misfueling guard.

arggg! Will they try to install pampers and a rubber suit on the driver next. Insane. The fact that you still can't lock a VW without the key is bad enough!

And the "safety feature" that forces you to turn the key off (avoid starter damage), then on to restart after stall (intersection!:eek:) is a real safety bonanza!

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I don't seem to following this correctly. You tried to fuel up, but could not cause the flap thingy is not flapping as it should?

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
tank, neck guard and cap are apparently one piece, there are no tanks in the pipeline, one has been red ordered, its coming off the assembly line in TN :(
Good luck with that. (one has been red ordered, its coming off the assembly line in TN) :([/QUOTE] It took 5 weeks to get a hood off the assembly line 6 weeks ago for mine due to a accident. Said new model year, funny thing the 2012's are a year old.

Hope they gave you a diesel to drive in the meantime, or money for the mileage difference for the gas one you are driving.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Good luck with that. (one has been red ordered, its coming off the assembly line in TN) :(
It took 5 weeks to get a hood off the assembly line 6 weeks ago for mine due to a accident. Said new model year, funny thing the 2012's are a year old.

Hope they gave you a diesel to drive in the meantime, or money for the mileage difference for the gas one you are driving.[/QUOTE]

may not be going home soon, car in jersey, I live in TX

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
hog out the stupid guard.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
hog out the stupid guard.
Unfortunately for the '13 it isn't that easy See the post here. On the '13 there are 2 buttons in the guard that have to be pressed by the nozzle to open the flap. A nozzle that is too small (supposedly a gas nozzle) won't open the flap. Only a auto diesel nozzle is supposed to fit and work. Thank goodness I got a '12!

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Unfortunately for the '13 it isn't that easy See the post here. On the '13 there are 2 buttons in the guard that have to be pressed by the nozzle to open the flap. A nozzle that is too small (supposedly a gas nozzle) won't open the flap. Only a auto diesel nozzle is supposed to fit and work. Thank goodness I got a '12!
I saw a thread ealier that mentioned the two buttons but I couldnt understand what the poster meant about them. But from your post I totally get it now. Thanks!

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a possibility that the OP went to a filling station that uses the same size nozzle for diesel that they use for unleaded? From an old thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1558739&postcount=1502

I believe collectively there is no problem that will go unsolved on this forum, this one included...wolfsburrg_de nailed this problem....valero was using a gas nozzle on the diesel pump....I was clueless but so was the dealer...my 2013 sel premium got a big gulp of diesel this morning

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
wrong nozzle

wolfsburg_de solved my problem velero is using a gas nozzle on thier diesel pump, misfueling guard opened just fine with the right nozzle

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
misfueling problem solved

wolfsburg_de solved my problem, diesel pump had a gas nozzle, I and the dealer were clueless

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
How many places you gonna post this? Also glad problem solved.

Dealer = mondo stupido!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
No, you can. The trick is to make sure the driver's door is closed. Hit the door lock button and exit through one of the other doors (locking it as you exit).
Not on the Passat. None of the lock toggles lock the doors if the door is open. I locked the back door while sitting inside, got out and shut the door. That door was unlocked when I closed it, and others remained locked. Not exactly useful. And no, the toggle doesn't work when the door is open. Just won't.

ram_g

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
The TDI nozzle adapter (see e.g. http://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fuel-Nozzle-Adapter/dp/B00696Y74O) states that it is designed to allow larger nozzles to be used, but it will work equally well to allow smaller nozzles (i.e. gasoline nozzles) to be used with the misfueling guard.

I don't have a guard flap on my 2012 Passat but we do on our 2011 BMW 335d. The car was delivered with an identical-looking adapter in the trunk and I've used it a couple of times with pump nozzles that were too small to activate the flap.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like the mis-fueling guard did its job. Credit to VW. If the gasoline nozzle you attempted to use was attached to a gasoline pump you would have mis-fueled your car with gasoline without the guard. That's why it's there.

I don't like them, don't mind taking responsibility for putting the correct fuel in my car, but it sounds like it might be a good idea.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
opening flap without a fueling nozzle!

I took a look for the first time (50 miles on the Passat) and see the misfueling gaurd. I see the two little bumps and protruding from top right and left and horseshoe collar between them. I found a 1" bushing (a cylindrical standoff about 3/4" long), and was easily able to push it in, and release the flap. If I ever need to siphon, or run into a diesel pump with the wrong nozzle, I will keep that bushing in the car to release the flap.

By the way, when the bushing released the flap, and I was concerned it might drop into the tank...NO PROBLEM. The bushing slipped in until the flap was open, and hit the end of the channel. I think the diesel nozzles are 1" diameter. Just make sure the "tube" you use is 1" diameter, at least. You can see the flap in the third photo, mostly out of the way. I do not know yet if the nozzle will go farther in, but it feels like it stops about one inch in, when the flap is fully open.

More importantly, I was concerned with whether I could pour Optilube in. I did, no problem, even without releasing the flap. It drains right in.

Last edited:

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
i would leave it, it should totally put any hpfp problems directly on vw if its physically impossible to mis-fuel.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Other than using Dubstorm's homemade tool, or the VW tool, how do you get additive in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD