Got my 2013 TDI tinted, 35% back and 50% front

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what the combo looks like from a few different angles. It's Tungsten Silver.

50% on drivers and passenger front windows
35% on back doors, c pillar and back window

The reason I didn't go more than 50% on the front is because I live in Michigan and technically any tint past 4" on the front windows is illegal. So, even this subtle level of tint is illegal. I had 0 interest in pushing my luck and I'm hoping these won't get a second look from an officer.

In the light just right and you can see right through.

Last edited:

TDI_Dan

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW 6M MKVII, 2011 Golf TDI 6M (bought back)
I think I went darker. I'd have to find the receipt. It made a huge difference from stock in the summer. It was like there wasn't any tint at all from the factory. As long as you are not doing anything foolish you should be fine. If you get pulled over, roll the windows down. That is one reason they are illegal. An officer wants to see whats going on inside as they approach an unknown situation. Windows down, engine off, interior lights on, hands where they can see them on the wheel with license and registration ready. There is plenty of other shenanigans going on in this state that are more important than tint issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yeah, my other car is a bit darker, I think it's 35% in the front and 20% in the rear and I have had no problems. I was a bit more concerned on the VW since the interior is black, while my Magnum interior is grey. I knew that would make it appear a bit darker than it really is.

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Looks exactly like what I did with mine. Same tints. My TDI was the dark gray(whatever color it is) and I've been very happy with those tints. We have the same issues in WI and I haven't had any 2nd looks.

It does look much darker on a cloudy day than a sunny day....

Tim

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yeah, I'm completely satisfied with my decision on the tint. I've had 0 problems whatsoever with it.

This post almost made me sad, as I sold the Dodge Magnum above. But after buying the TDI, I wasn't taking road trips in the Magnum anymore. And I would only drive it in perfect weather, which is so rare in Michigan.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Thanks. Great pics. I'm thinking of doing the same on mine (same car and color, but mine's the MT so no sunroof). When you say 50% front and 35% rear, do you mean that's the percentage light that gets through? I would have assumed it referred to how tinted it is, but the pictures seem to show a lighter shade in front than rear. I've never tinted a vehicle before, so don't know much about it.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Correct, it's the amount of light that gets through. So, 50% is not a dark tint at all. 15% is much darker, and 5% is pretty much black limo tint.

In Michigan, it's illegal to have any aftermarket tint on the windows lower than 4 inches from the top of the glass. In an effort to both have tint and respect the police's desire to be able to see into my car, I went with lighter tint in the front. Thus far I've had 0 issues.

I'm quite happy with the amount of tint in my car.

susa_royals

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
35% front and back

I saw your post and it really helped me choose. I went with 35% on the front and back. I am not sure how to attach a photo...

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Sorry about the broken picture links. Unsure what happened on photobucket this month, but something went on a tear downloading the handful of images that I have about 1 trillion times so I'm now over my 10GB limit. It went from about 100MB used on Saturday to 14.9GB by Saturday night. That's never happened to me before.

My stuff will reset on the 27th of the month, and the pictures will come back.