TDIs in the mountains?

Elsinore

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
We are considering getting a TDI but there is a small chance that we may end up moving to CO. Those of you in CO do you wish you had AWD instead? Jeez I wish VW would have a 5spd TDI 4motion over here!

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Can't speak for CO but I can tell you that with a set of Nokian winter tires, I have no problem going through snow storms in the mountains of Vermont. You can get studded tires if you want peace of mind...

SlothLuvChunk

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2000
Born and raised in Colorado, and after 27 years here I can tell you that question depends entirely on
a) how good of a driver you are, and how comfortable you are with your car, and it's ability in the snow
and b) Where in CO you're moving.

If you're a fairly confident driver (and rightly so) and are moving to the front range, I wouldn't worry about it. We don't get nearly as much snow on the front range as people think we do. Keep in mind it's sunny here 300+ days a year, so even the snow we get isn't typically on the road after a day or so.
Realistically there are only a few times a year that the roads are actually bad around here. I'm in process now of purchaing a FWD TDi, after owning 4X4's for the last 10 years. As Elsinore said, I think the tires make the difference.

oriley

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 black Golf
I agree w/ Slothluvchunk. We don't really get much snow in Denver. The days we do get snow it's gone w/ in a day or so cuz of the sunshine. I have a the GY triple treads. Last week it snowd some and I went out to try them out, Luvd'em. I wouldn't worry about AWD, get a TDI!

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Before you move to Colorado you have to spend a winter in North Dakota; to learn how to get around on snow.

As for snow, if it is deeper than 18" you will have problems.
(at least I did here in Southern Illinois)
As for mountains, TDI's eat up them hills like candy!

After visiting my uncle this summer, and touring around southwestern Colorado, my uncle went and bought a used TDI this fall,
He has driven his 91 golf for 4 years with no problems between Pueblo and The Springs,
But then he has been snowed in a couple of times in his 4x4 Toyota.

diesel_climber1

Veteran Member
TDI
06.5 TDI Package II, Blue on Black. 01 TDI GLS baltic green (RIP), 2011 BMW 335d M
Most areas of metrolopitan Colorado don't get more snow than a TDI can handle. I have a Jetta TDI and live in Boulder where we get more snow than Denver. If your a good driver and have snow tires-you should be set. In the mountain you'll get more snow but CO's pretty good with the snow plows. Taureg comes with a TDI-might be the perfect solution. But I highly recomend the diesel-it really does do great in the mountains. Most gas stations out here have diesel and many are selling bio-diesel. Where in CO are you moving?

-Ben

roadrageinco

TDI
84 rabbit (RIP) 2000 Golf (RIP) 2005 Jetta SW (still going)
I drive from denver to the mountians 3 times a week. I have snow tires all the way around. I drive an 05 jetta wagon w/ 5spd and ESP. I have never got stuck or have had any problems w/ snow or ice. It will go up the mountians at 85mph w/ cruise on!
This is the best car to have. Sold my WRX wagon to get this.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
Report is that my uncle is having a little trouble, in his Golf TDI and his toyota 4x4 pickup, the Snow plow is having trouble as well; but then they have 30" of snow on the ground.