Should I Purchase? HELP!!

SavannahIrishboy

I was seriously considering buying a Jetta TDI as I was so impressed with the fuel economy. However, as I meandered around the internet looking at consumer reviews, quite a few posted horror stories about the Jetta. Falling windows, stuck sunroofs, interior and exterior items falling off, goo coming out of the doors,engine malfunctions, etc. Most seem to blame VW's Mexican assembly plant. My question is this: should I still consider buying a Jetta TDI? Despite the bad reviews I have read, the fuel economy of the TDI is still so appealing. Please HELP!!! CONVINCE ME PLEASE!!

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member
Originally posted by SavannahIrishboy:
I was seriously considering buying a Jetta TDI as I was so impressed with the fuel economy. However, as I meandered around the internet looking at consumer reviews, quite a few posted horror stories about the Jetta. Falling windows, stuck sunroofs, interior and exterior items falling off, goo coming out of the doors,engine malfunctions, etc. Most seem to blame VW's Mexican assembly plant. My question is this: should I still consider buying a Jetta TDI? Despite the bad reviews I have read, the fuel economy of the TDI is still so appealing. Please HELP!!! CONVINCE ME PLEASE!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well SURE, buy it! It only takes 75,000 miles for you to break even with the savings of the fuel you didn't buy with the diesel versus the extra money over the gas version of the same car.

Makes perfect sense to me.

(Ducking and running....)

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
They have a higher rate of problems when compared to... say... a honda. But they win in other areas, like power. you will find failures to be widespread on the internet, but most are perfectly happy with zero failures or a few very small problems. Go for the car if its what you like, dont worry about what you have read.

BTW: those who blame a certain point of assembly are just plain stupid. truth is, the factories are staffed by low paid workers no matter where you go, at least in mexico they all speak the same language (spanish). You go to the german assembly plants where they are staffed with workers from all the 3rd world countries in that area, where nobody can communicate and you get more quality issues than the mexican or even brazilian plants. I usually laugh at anyone who specifically requests a german built car. The cars are engineered by germans, but built by people of every nationality, no matter what plant they are assembled at.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Originally posted by car 54:

BTW: those who blame a certain point of assembly are just plain stupid. truth is, the factories are staffed by low paid workers no matter where you go, at least in mexico they all speak the same language (spanish). You go to the german assembly plants where they are staffed with workers from all the 3rd world countries in that area, where nobody can communicate and you get more quality issues than the mexican or even brazilian plants. I usually laugh at anyone who specifically requests a german built car. The cars are engineered by germans, but built by people of every nationality, no matter what plant they are assembled at.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Car54 - I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

A little background about why I think this way:

I work for a transportation logistics company and we move almost anything and everything. We also happen to have contracts with VW to move their cars from all over the world into the U.S. including those built in Mexico and Germany.

In addition to moving the cars, my company also inspects the cars as they enter the U.S. at the various Vehicle Processing Centers (VPC's) throughout the country. The cars are inspected and repairs are made right on the spot.

I can tell you from looking at the reports and talking to the people who work at these VPC's, cars made in Mexico have a much higher rate of defects than cars made in Germany. Although most of the problems are fixed at the VPC, there may be some problems that are not caught.

So anyone who says that it doesn't matter where they are made is either naive, or just a victim of political correctness.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
Well SURE, buy it! It only takes 75,000 miles for you to break even with the savings of the fuel you didn't buy with the diesel versus the extra money over the gas version of the same car.

Makes perfect sense to me.

(Ducking and running....)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are right, the TDI isn't for everyone.

If you can live with a 2.0, or only plan to keep the car for 2-3 years, then the TDI doesn't make the most financial sense. But I can't imagine who would buy a 2.0. If I didnt get the TDI, I would have opted for a 1.8T or even a VR6.

If you compare the TDI with the cost of owning a 1.8T, the TDI is $600 cheaper to buy upfront, and you save about $500 a year in fuel costs since the 1.8T requires premium.

Besides, the TDI is a very fun car to drive.

If we have another oil crisis where gas prices skyrocket.. that's a whole different ballgame.

SavannahIrishboy - Just get the Jetta TDI.. you are going to love it!

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would like to start off by saying in most forums or review boards you really on see the people who have had problems with thier car and those who don't and love thiers cars don't usually go there. This is unfortunate. It is true that past Jettas had issues with the power windows but I believe that that issue was resolved in the 2001/2002 model year (someone correct me if I'm wrong). My sisters' 99.5 2.slow Jetta did have grease coming out of the bottom of the doors, but that only happened for a short period of time and has not happened in the last 1.5 years or so. As far as the interior/exterior items just falling off, that's news to me
The converse of this all is that if you want a reliable daily driver that will just get you from point A to point B until you die then you should get a Honda or Toyota. If you want a reliable daily driver that gets great fuel economy, has good power and is an overall more fun vehicle then get a TDI. There will be some issues such as the infamous MAF, but these things would not prevent me from buying another. I personally recommend the TDI but it all comes down to what you really want.

<edit> Yeah... what volkjeager said too

[ March 28, 2002, 20:41: Message edited by: eluwak ]

SavannahIrishboy

The MAF and other high priced repair items were some of the most frequently mentioned problems. The way most of them talked, one would have to have a at least a six figure income just to afford the repairs. I have owned Volvos and BMW's and they had some electrical problems in the beginning, and the oxygen sensor went out on the Volvo, but they were not bad enough that I would never buy another European car. I have also owned Nissans and Accuras, and even the tinny Suzuki, however, I did not have any problems with them at all. The fuel mileage on the Japanese cars isnt all that they make it out to be though, and the styling is, well, WHAT styling? LOL I put ALOT of miles on a vehicle---I have a '96 Chevy S-10 Pickup with 221,000 problem-free miles on it, so basically what I am looking for is a vehicle that is cheap to operate but can keep going for at least over 200,000 miles with minimal problems. On the surface, the Jetta TDI seems to fit that description. Guys, tell me more about it. Im eager to learn!

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
First-my Jetta TDI (2001) is the best car that i've ever owned. The only problem I've had in 40k miles-is a broken glove box. If you drive a lot of miles-IMHO it is the ONLY car to have (unless you are wealthy). I don't know of ANY other car that you can go over 700 miles PER TANK-and a few times I have gone over 800. Time saved not having to fill up every 300 or so miles (like with a gasser) really adds up. Also these cars have excellent engines/driveability. I have never had MAF problems (knock wood)-but I know that some have had a lot of problems with MAFs. I think that the 2002 should not have those problems-or at least not as much. I guess the window regulators can also be problematic-but since i have a GL-that will never be an issue on my car. Like someone said above-if you buy a new car every few years-this may not be the car for you, but if you are like me-and keep a car a LONG time and/or if you drive a lot of miles-the TDI is THE car to have IMHO.......

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
You guys must really light foot those cars....I vent fill and drive not to heavy of foot and average 40-42 mpg on a 5 speed. I have got 53 but that was on a trip back to Chicago from DC. I love the car, but I do not agree that they are trouble free. Many have had great luck, I have not. 2 broken seat frames (hey I only weigh 215), 1 steering wheel air bag failure, 1 side air bag failure, stripped engine cover bolt from the factory, 3 tweeters replaced, 2 window switches, 1 heated seat element, 1 warped brake rotor, more interior rattles than I can count. I just turn the radio up real loud now. The materials are great it's just the interior body hardware that has no intergrity. I have NEVER had a car rattle so much inside than this one. Oh, and a new still TBD bizarre noise from the CAT/DIFF/HEAT SHIELD/UNDERCAR AREA that can't seem to be located by the dealer....DBW? Maybe I'll make a road trip to see you....My wifes 1.8T has been trouble free except for a failed speed sensor. Oh, and a couple of rattles....

Jared B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI Green
I've got two words for you...

BUY IT!

I'm a new TDI owner and I'm absolutely in love. If you want to chat "newbie", drop me an email

Jared

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you're looking for a car you can keep for 200,000+ miles, the TDI is it. The engine is good for 300,000, at least. And my (Mexican-built) 99.5 Jetta TDI (GL) is, by far, the best-built of the three VWs I've owned (one Pennsylvania Rabbit GTI, one German Jetta GL). Yes, the dash rattles some days [not others] and I've had to fix a few things [glovebox door for me, too, rear-center seat belt a couple of times (bad design)], and a couple of other minor things). But the car drives well -- it's downright fun, and much more interesting to drive than the 2.0. I've never had a problem starting it, even in Minnesota cold, until the battery died last summer. It's comfortable, stylish, and is just a fun ride.

As for the issue of being built in Mexico, I can tell you that my ex had a Mercury Tracer wagon (Mazda 323 wagon) built in Mexico that demanded nothing of us until it died of old age and abuse. And I sat in a Brazilian-built GTI at the dealership a month or so ago that did not have the fit-and-finish of my Mexican Jetta. It's all in the management of the company and whether they consider employees and high quality important. That knows no national boundary.

Buy the TDI. I think you'll love it.

[ March 30, 2002, 05:03: Message edited by: Steve-o ]

SavannahIrishboy

It seems that the European cars have alot of sensors for this and sensors for that. With the domestic cars I have had, it seems to be a non-topic. I guess the main thing that worries me is if I do buy the TDI, I want to do everything that I am supposed to do, but I am so naive about diesel vehicles. When I had my BMW and my Volvo, the dealer preached to me diligently that I should bring the car in at every scheduled maintenance, and I would always have to be sure and bring my checkbook because it wasnt cheap. I did do that, but with the domestic and Japanese cars I never did take it back to the dealer for the recommended checkups and never had any problems, although I did change the oil and other routine things regularly. With the TDI, what checkups do I need to let the dealer handle, and which ones can I do myself, such as changing the oil, etc.

SavannahIrishboy

ALSO, I am planning on taking my first test drive this coming week. Does anyone have any specific things that I should look for in the test drive, and any specific questions I should ask the salesperson?? I am so ashamed to admit this but I have never driven or rode in a VW before! I have just admired them from afar

SavannahIrishboy

..and one more thing.....the dealer here in Savannah always has several TDIs on the lot at any given time. Do you think that he will negotiate the price on the TDI like he would on most other cars, or will he stick to the sticker price or bust???? What is everyone's experience on this???? QUESTIONS, I GOT QUESTIONS !!!!

SavannahIrishboy

Im starting to feel much better about possibly buying a TDI, but I sure cringe at the thought of those dreaded monthly payments again! One other thing----is it just my imagination, or do most VW salesmen seem aloof?? They dont really seem to care if u buy a car or not. Its been my impression that this is the case with most male salespersons...the saleswomen seem more than eager to help.....

Jared B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI Green
I think most salesmen think that VW's sell themselves. You drive it, you fall in love with it, you want it, you need it, you must have it, you sign the paperwork, it's yours

I...unfortunately....tend to agree, lol

I didn't mind the low-pressure sales tactics. If you want them to show you more attitude, tell them you want the car but found it cheaper somewhere else. Then see what they try

Jared B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI Green
One more thing...

The payments are a little high, but remember that you'll be paying 1/2 as much for fuel, and changing your oil 1/3 as often
. (albeit an oil change could cost you up to $40'ish, but still
)

Also, remember that this car will drive you for 300,000+ miles, 3x more than many cars. You'll get your money's worth

spongebob

Veteran Member
TDI
Not anymore.
..and one more thing.....the dealer here in Savannah always has several TDIs on the lot at any given time. Do you think that he will negotiate the price on the TDI like he would on most other cars, or will he stick to the sticker price or bust???? What is everyone's experience on this???? QUESTIONS, I GOT QUESTIONS !!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're used to gas cars, the TDI will seem loud at idle, especially when cold, but it once rolling and up to speed, the TDI is actually quieter than the gassers I've been in. Really smooth on the highway, almost feels electric.

As far as deals, it's a good time to buy a car. Wait much longer and selection gets thin, but prices should be more negotiable than they were a couple months ago.

Depending how popular TDIs are in your area, you may be able to score a good deal. TDIs are very uncommon in my area and they tend to sit on dealer lots awhile. I got mine for $300 over invoice, which is considered very good on a TDI. I've heard that many folks end up close to MSRP on a TDI because demand outweighs supply, but not in my area. I think $500 over invoice is a good price to shoot for, or check Edmunds TMV price for your zipcode to get a ballpark price.

BTW, I say get it. It should last forever, and is a blast to drive with great safety features and fuel economy. I own two Mk4 VWs and they've been great cars. I understand the window regulator problem hasn't been present on the '02s, and the new warranty is excellent.
Have fun!