2014 TDI Sportwagen stalls out at start up

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
Hello, Having an issue with my daughters 2014 TDI Sportwagen Purchased from VW after being "fixed" has @ 50,000 miles. was running fine now it starts and then stalls out but no CEL of codes showing. Will hook up Ross tech VCDS and run a scan later today any ideas/suggestions? I seem to think I had similar issues with daughters 2009 TDI SW and my wife old 2011 TDI SW which both got the Diesel Geek fix P2015 fix kit but they both had codes. Thanks , Mike

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Look up intercooler icing, very good chance that's the culprit. There are lots of threads on the topic

brkdrvr

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd manual 140K, 2012 JSW TDI A/T 50K, 2014 JSW TDI A/T 40K, Ross Tech VCDS-MOBILE
I saw the posts on intercooler icing. its not even freezing here. could that still be the issue?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Some believe high humidity/water/rain along with moderately low temperatures can cause water build up in the intercooler. It has become a bit of a catch-all blamed for many issues. Hard to say if they are all really intercooler issues or not.

I have no first hand experience, only going by what I have read.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I've had rough starts in the fall and spring around 40-50F during high humidity rain events. In minnesota, it's usually the worst when it's below freezing for extended periods of time and then thaws, melting ice off the intercooler and collecting in the charge air pipe.

I just had a no start after a big thaw day around 45F and then it was below freezing the next morning and ice had blocked off the charge air pipe completely. Dealer installed the cold weather intercooler kit under the emissions warranty. No issues since but we're getting another good thaw this weekend.

Did it start and stay running after the stall? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

brkdrvr

TDI
We live about 1/2 mile from atlantic Ocean and Delaware Bat and it been rainey and foggy lately. The temperature has gone below freezing but was about 45 when no start occurred.

I started and let it stall several times and finally it stayed running, in retrospect I should have dropped belly pan and checked for water but i had a stroke a month ago and am still not 100%. It did seem to be "burning/steaming and I strongly suspect there was condensation with oil blow by sludge burning off. The fuel filter was changed about 5,000 miles ago along with oil, oil filter and air filter. New glass mat battery in April 2019. I am going to get some help and drop the belly pan and see what in the inter cooler, I am betting we have a moisture in the system problem.

I probably should not have tried to tart repeatedly but w/no CEL or codes I had never heard of this problem. (We have 4 TDI Jetta SW 2011 -2014 and sold a 5th one with 190,000mi on it after driving it 100,000mi. Never thought enough water could build up to hydraulically damage the engine.

Last edited: