Factory Clutch/DMF Shudder, 100% Stock

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Searched and most of the DMF shudder issues seem to be with tuned cars. I recently noticed what appears to be DMF shudder under certain conditions.

My car is 100% stock tune, original factory clutch (33k miles) 2013 JSW 6MT. I do have the 034 upper and lower dogbone insert, which makes me more sensitive to this feeling. Anyhow, the car shudders at full throttle under 2,000RPM, seems to be only in 4th gear and up. Mostly from 1,400-2,000, seems to go away above 2,000.

My original thought was that the stock tune would not have enough torque to induce this? Has anyone else experienced this? I do drive the car pretty aggressively most of the time, however I live in a rural area and do not drive much stop and go. It seems a bit early to be experiencing this. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
nobody else has had this issue with stock power?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When you floor it at 1400 RPM in 4th you're entering right into the torque peak. A flywheel in good condition may shudder. I'd stop doing that.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
When you floor it at 1400 RPM in 4th you're entering right into the torque peak. A flywheel in good condition may shudder. I'd stop doing that.
Ok, I was just curious if the factory flywheel would normally do this under these conditions. It's not something I normally do, I just happened to notice because I did floor it to catch a light. Thanks!

clapp1121

TDI
2013 JSW
@alext91 I had a similar issue with my 2013 jsw 6mt. I drive similar and I agree with @IndigoBlueWagon, once i stopped driving so aggressively it never happened again. I think these cars are so torquey that if you drive them in that band to maximize performance this is the inevitable result. Once i get my tune and delete i will also be upgrading clutch and other points of failure. Lots of potential from these motors however it seems other upgrades are critical if you plan to actually drive it!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
@alext91 I had a similar issue with my 2013 jsw 6mt. I drive similar and I agree with @IndigoBlueWagon, once i stopped driving so aggressively it never happened again. I think these cars are so torquey that if you drive them in that band to maximize performance this is the inevitable result. Once i get my tune and delete i will also be upgrading clutch and other points of failure. Lots of potential from these motors however it seems other upgrades are critical if you plan to actually drive it!
Thanks! Good to know that nothing I'm experiencing is out of the ordinary. I'm in the same boat, plan is to delete and tune after the warranty period. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ford50

TDI
98 beetle
no clutch pedal

sorry new to this site..kind of off topic here was wondering about some help..got a 2013 golf tdi manual trans...30k miles dual mass flywheel went bad...went to id part.com bought a new valeo single mass clutch kit...yes chatters vibrates,ratles..yes all the good stuf,changed it 2 months ago..no issues..went to work thismorning car was fine..come out after in 9 hours later get into car go to push in clutch pedal and had no pedal..clutch pedal went right to the floor...no thing there...tries bleeding it got air and few drops of oil that was it after 10 minutes of bleeding it in -8 wheather...went frind fine to nothing...any sugestions...brake fluid is full to the top dint loose any fluid and dont see any leek...

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like slave cylinder failure. This is documented on these cars unfortunately. Have to pull the transmission to replace it unfortunately. Also, for the record it's also been documented that SMFs do not play well with the steel synchronisers that 2nd and 3rd have in these cars. Sorry to be the bearer of (potential) bad news

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
You replaced the slave when you did the clutch? That's surprising