Window Tint: Ceramic vs. Non Ceramic

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed auto (DSG) w/Sun & Nav, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Cornsilk Beige
I'm thinking of tinting my car for heat and UV and not to darken the windows. I have a hard enough time seeing at night. I'm looking at LLumar AIR80. Any other similar products?

:)
I finally made a decision (mostly). I can't find LLumar being installed around here so I'm going to have 3M Crystalline installed on the front windshield for sure (either 70 or 90) and I'll have either the same (Crystalline) all around or make it the Color Stable product and save $200. I'll know the specifics %'s once I see it at the shop on Friday.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I too am finding it very hard to find an installer who carries the high-end Llumar products.

The search continues.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Called a shop in Tinley Park that carries Xpel Ultimate for paint protection film and LLumar for window tint. Prices were not cheap but less than I expected.

So, which window tint? The AIR80 clear has a blue hue to it. Nor sure I would like that. Or one of the high end ceramic CTX products (charcoal color). I'm thinking about the CTX 30 CH SR HPR. I don't know much about tints but this will block some light but not too mach. Decisions...

:confused:

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
I'm thinking about the CTX 30 CH SR HPR. I don't know much about tints but this will block some light but not too mach.
Looks like CTX 30 (33 VLT) is to dark for Illinois (35 VLT) if you care about those type of things. :)

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
HAH, you would never know 35VLT was illegal in this state.

I'm going to go visit some tint shops and see just how dark these tints are. I'm going to go light so I'll look at CTX 40 or 50. Maybe if a shop has the AIR80 in stock I'll be able to see just what it looks like.

It's a learning process.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Maybe if a shop has the AIR80 in stock I'll be able to see just what it looks like.
I have AIR80 on all of my windows, so I speak from experience. I love it. I hate dark tints because I can't see pedestrians at night without opening windows. I live in the middle of a desert and the tint blocks a significant amount of heat without any major vision impairment. I used the term "major" on purpose, this stuff is not perfect. It appears that the nano-ceramic infrared absorbing particles polarize different colors of visible light differently. Why does this matter? My wife and I both have AIR80 on our windshields. I have no issues with it except that under the right lighting conditions, the road ahead of me looks purple when I am wearing my prescription sunglasses. However, my wife tends to wear cheap drug store sunglasses and under the right lighting conditions the sky is full of vertical rainbows. I have looked through her sunglasses and seen this phenomenon. She thinks it is "pretty" and has simply gotten used to it, but I thought you should know the whole story before you make up your mind. The dealer probably had a piece you can look through - go outside and put on your sunglasses and look around and maybe rotate the sample you are looking through. It might be interesting. AIR80 film is also thicker than most other films in order to accommodate more of the heat blocking particles.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I just talked to my tint guy yesterday. I now have an appointment for next week to install "Silver17" metallic film on my panoramic sunroof (moonroof?). Unlike most other tint films, it is designed to reflect infrared not absorb it.

Last edited:

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6-speed auto (DSG) w/Sun & Nav, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Cornsilk Beige
I have AIR80 on all of my windows, so I speak from experience. I love it. I hate dark tints because I can't see pedestrians at night without opening windows. I live in the middle of a desert and the tint blocks a significant amount of heat without any major vision impairment. I used the term "major" on purpose, this stuff is not perfect. It appears that the nano-ceramic infrared absorbing particles polarize different colors of visible light differently. Why does this matter? My wife and I both have AIR80 on our windshields. I have no issues with it except that under the right lighting conditions, the road ahead of me looks purple when I am wearing my prescription sunglasses. However, my wife tends to wear cheap drug store sunglasses and under the right lighting conditions the sky is full of vertical rainbows. I have looked through her sunglasses and seen this phenomenon. She thinks it is "pretty" and has simply gotten used to it, but I thought you should know the whole story before you make up your mind. The dealer probably had a piece you can look through - go outside and put on your sunglasses and look around and maybe rotate the sample you are looking through. It might be interesting. AIR80 film is also thicker than most other films in order to accommodate more of the heat blocking particles.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I just talked to my tint guy yesterday. I now have an appointment for next week to install "Silver17" metallic film on my panoramic sunroof (moonroof?). Unlike most other tint films, it is designed to reflect infrared not absorb it.
This is what the 3M site says about Crystalline (OVER 200 layers!);
"If you are looking for the ultimate in high technology, superior clarity and performance with a premium look – Then 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Film is for you. 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films feature a proprietary, multilayer optical film technology that combines over 200 layers in a film that is thinner than a Post-it® Note. This unique technology is the reason a clear film can reject more heat than darker films, without changing your car's appearance.

Solar heat comes from two primary sources, the visible light you can see and the infrared light you can feel. Crystalline window films reject up to 97% of the sun's heat producing infrared light and block up to 60% of the heat coming through your windows. These industry-leading, spectrally-selective films are designed to keep you cool, comfortable and protected.

Designed to maintain the appearance of your car, Crystalline films allow up to 90% of the light into your vehicle. Because these films are non-metallized, you can be assured of zero interference with GPS or cell phone signals."

Thanks, I'll check the tint at different angles with sunglasses on as you suggested!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Brian, you've been in our Passat. It measures 33% VLT.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Hmm... Just received a quote for $339 on LLumar CTX 30. That's a lot better then the $500 quote I received for the Hüper Optik tint.

Looks like tint might be next on the to do list! :D

TDIRoady

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what the 3M site says about Crystalline (OVER 200 layers!);
"If you are looking for the ultimate in high technology, superior clarity and performance with a premium look – Then 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Film is for you. 3M Crystalline Automotive Window Films feature a proprietary, multilayer optical film technology that combines over 200 layers in a film that is thinner than a Post-it® Note. This unique technology is the reason a clear film can reject more heat than darker films, without changing your car's appearance.

Solar heat comes from two primary sources, the visible light you can see and the infrared light you can feel. Crystalline window films reject up to 97% of the sun's heat producing infrared light and block up to 60% of the heat coming through your windows. These industry-leading, spectrally-selective films are designed to keep you cool, comfortable and protected.

Designed to maintain the appearance of your car, Crystalline films allow up to 90% of the light into your vehicle. Because these films are non-metallized, you can be assured of zero interference with GPS or cell phone signals."

Thanks, I'll check the tint at different angles with sunglasses on as you suggested!
OK, went in today and decided to go with having my new JSW tinted with all windows in 3M Crystalline. Went with 70 for the front windshield and 40 for all side windows and rear. So far very happy. After it's fully dry and haze-free I'll give an update on satisfaction. So far a very noticeable difference in heat rejection and satisfied that night vision is A-OK too. Pricy but I think I'll be happy in the long run.

Thanks for all the input/ideas from Forum members.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
^
Love the Crystalline 40 all around in my ST.

Hey Lawson, how much is the fine in VA? I had a cop tell me I was lucky he didn't have his tint meter with him when he nabbed me for speeding a few weeks ago.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
Curious if this is even possible with tint film, but I notice that on the majority of tint jobs I see have a whiteish appearace on the edges, particularly along those with a dot matrix frit, and a similar appearance where the manufacturer and approval information for the window is, if it is printed with the frit material, versus being etched into the glass.

Our Passats of course have the dot matrix frit on the rear window, as well as the frit printing, and I am curious to see if it is possible to have it so there is absolutely no white appearance at the edges or over the printing.

Closest I've seen is on windows with a straight frit edge, where an installer cuts the film to aling exactly with this boundary.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think the white you are seeing is where the tint doesn't adhere to the window due to the frit. Best to talk with your installer about this.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
^
Love the Crystalline 40 all around in my ST.

Hey Lawson, how much is the fine in VA? I had a cop tell me I was lucky he didn't have his tint meter with him when he nabbed me for speeding a few weeks ago.
Dunno... never been pulled over for it.

If you go to court and prove that you have removed it, they drop the case and you don't have to pay a fine.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
I think the white you are seeing is where the tint doesn't adhere to the window due to the frit. Best to talk with your installer about this.
correct.
talk to your installer about it. a way that I know it can be avoided is to use elmers glue on the dot matrix while applying the tint. that would take a lot of work though
Dunno... never been pulled over for it.

If you go to court and prove that you have removed it, they drop the case and you don't have to pay a fine.
most places just consider it a fix it ticket bit va has some weird/strict laws

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
I picked my car up from the tint shop today. I went with Llumar ceramic CTX 40 CH SR HPR. This grade of tint has 43% light transmission, 43% solar energy rejection, and 99.9% UV protection. I wanted an understated look and I got it.

The ceramic tints works for heat rejection. The car was much cooler coming home in 85F heat. I could turn the AC down to #1 fan speed and the cooling was plenty. My parked hot car cools off much faster now. I used to feel the heat coming through the glass on my arm and legs, not anymore. I also noticed less glare.

Now the ceramic tint does help keep a parked car cooler, but it all depends on how long the car is parked. This grade of tint is rejecting 43% solar energy, which means it's still letting in 57%. A quick stop at an interstate rest area, the car stays cool. Take a long lunch, the interior will be warm. Parked all day at work, the car will be as hot as ever. Just a clarification on this as people get false expectations on just how much heat ceramic tint will block.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I picked my car up from the tint shop today. I went with Llumar ceramic CTX 40 CH SR HPR. This grade of tint has 43% light transmission, 43% solar energy rejection, and 99.9% UV protection. I wanted an understated look and I got it.

The ceramic tints works for heat rejection. The car was much cooler coming home in 85F heat. I could turn the AC down to #1 fan speed and the cooling was plenty. My parked hot car cools off much faster now. I used to feel the heat coming through the glass on my arm and legs, not anymore. I also noticed less glare.

Now the ceramic tint does help keep a parked car cooler, but it all depends on how long the car is parked. This grade of tint is rejecting 43% solar energy, which means it's still letting in 57%. A quick stop at an interstate rest area, the car stays cool. Take a long lunch, the interior will be warm. Parked all day at work, the car will be as hot as ever. Just a clarification on this as people get false expectations on just how much heat ceramic tint will block.
Those are great results. Who did the tint? And if you don't mind, what did it run? You will have to post up an after photo. My car is still in need of tint, had some minor setbacks earlier this year, but hopefully I can get it done in the next couple months.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Those are great results. Who did the tint? And if you don't mind, what did it run? You will have to post up an after photo. My car is still in need of tint, had some minor setbacks earlier this year, but hopefully I can get it done in the next couple months.
I ended up having the work done at Glass Enhancements in Loves Park, just North of Rockford.

http://www.glassenhancements.com/

It's a 100 miles drive for me but they had the best price in the Northern IL area.

I also had Xpel Ultimate paint protection film installed at the same time so it was a package deal. I would estimate the cost of the tint to run $300 to $350. Depending on the grade of tint and your negotiating skills.

I dropped the car off Wednesday afternoon. They worked on it all day Thursday and Friday morning, and I picked the car up Friday afternoon.

I'll get an after photo posted this morning.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
After photos!! There is so much reflection off the house and trees that you can't really tell how it looks. It just looks dark. It looks dark compared to wifey's car, but after a few minutes in my car you don't notice anything.

Front 3/4 view

Rear 3/4 view

They put these warning stickers on all the window switches.

So far, I love it.

Last edited:

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat

I got the Huper Optik Select, also known as Drei installed recently. It's the best at heat reduction using the latest technology. It's pricey though and the tint wasn't as dark but has kind of a mirror finish to it. I'm happy with it. It's just started getting warm here in Tn and I can definitely tell a difference. Can go somewhere with the AC running and get out for an hour so, get back in and it's still cool inside. Crazy stuff.

Where'd you find the Huper Optik Select tint and how much did it run for materials and labor?

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Both cars happened to be parked in the street today so I took a photo so one can compare and contrast how a tinted car looks next to a non-tinted car. You can see through the windows of a non-tinted car, not with the tinted one. The tinted car has a 43% light transmission.

In hindsight I should have went with the legal max of 35% (as was repeatedly recommended).

sandydeb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE 6MT Black
Here in NJ, tinting the front windows or windshield is prohibited. Meanwhile, you can black out the rear windows and screen if you so like.

It makes no sense. But that's NJ for you!

So no tinting for me I guess.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Here in NJ, tinting the front windows or windshield is prohibited. Meanwhile, you can black out the rear windows and screen if you so like.

It makes no sense. But that's NJ for you!

So no tinting for me I guess.
In Michigan you can only tint the top 4" of the front windows...which looks dumb. But you can paint the back doors and back window black.

I got my tinted anyway, but did 50% on my front windows and I've made it nearly 1 year without any issues. You can see in my pictures here that you can see in with the 50% tint.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394411&highlight=pparks1+tint

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
BKmetz---I know this has been a beautiful summer so far in northern Illinois (my opinion) but I was wondering if you have had the opportunity to compare your vehicles based on interior temperature after sitting in the sun for the same, approximately, period of time.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
BKmetz---I know this has been a beautiful summer so far in northern Illinois (my opinion) but I was wondering if you have had the opportunity to compare your vehicles based on interior temperature after sitting in the sun for the same, approximately, period of time.
My car cools down much faster and I can run the AC at a lower fan speed than wifey's car. Also, on a hot day you don't feel the heat coming through the glass on your arms & legs in my car.

The one important point about ceramic tint is how it blocks heat. It slows down the rate the car will heat up. My tint is rated at 43% heat rejection so that means 57% is still coming through. So a quick stop and the car stays cool. Take a long lunch the car can get quite warm. Park the car all day at work and it's hot as hell inside.

There are some false expectations on just how ceramic tint works and performs. For any tint to block 100% heat it would have to also block 100% of the light. Or have a gold coating like NASA space helmet visors.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Howdy folks,
Well, we're now firmly established in Ft. Worth, TX, with consecutive 100f+ days. My MPG is getting killed with short trips (new-to-us house, so trips to Lowes/HomeDepot/Sears/Macy's...and Mexican food...lots of Mexican food...), AC working hard to cool our cars. White/tan Passat is faring better than silver/anthracite JSW.

I just scanned this thread, and I don't think my question was answered: WHERE in Ft. Worth, TX can I go for reliable installation of ceramic tint?

Thanks.