Can't delete old phone from list

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I've searched for the answer and I can't find it.

I replaced my phone this weekend, and I paired the new phone with my VW over bluetooth. All works fine, except I can't delete the old phone.

When I try to delete the media player, it says it can't because it is also connected as a phone. But I can't delete the it from the list of phones.

For now I just renamed the old phone as 'obsolete'. But it bugs me that I can't figure out how to remove these old players/phones. I can't find anything in the manual about this matter either.

Any advice?

Steven715

TDI
B7 Passat Estate Executive style 2.0 TDI 140
Hello there what is the model of your stereo?
The RNS300 you press the phone button then press setup and you can delete old phones in there if you need more detail I will go and have a look and give a more detailed response. Hope to help. Steve

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Hello there what is the model of your stereo?
The RNS300 you press the phone button then press setup and you can delete old phones in there if you need more detail I will go and have a look and give a more detailed response. Hope to help. Steve
Ah! I didn't think to try it over on the center player. I was performing all of this through the instrument panel MFI display (the one controlled by the steering wheel buttons).

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I went through the entertainment system, both in the phone and the settings menus. I could not see any function that lets it "forget" or "delete" a paired phone.

I'll get the specific model number from my car tonight.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Bad news. I have an RNS315 in my car. I can't do any Bluetooth configuration from the NAV system. The manual tells me I have do it all from the dashboard, which as I mentioned, doesn't allow me to delete an old phone.

I also read that it only has 4 slots for known bluetooth players. I'm at 4 now, and 2 of them are obsolete. 1 is my current iPhone. And the other is my friend's iPhone. So I think this means that I can not couple any new phones until I delete an old one. But it won't let me delete an old player because they are also connected as phones (at one time).

I swear, the genius who thought of this stupid system needs to be shot. I know VW isn't the only car company who can't get this right. But seriously, don't they actually use their own product?

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Sounds frustrating and unfortunate that there is not a way to just reset everything back to the factory defaults.

I have the RCD-510 which is a different radio, but it also can only delete bluetooth device profiles using the steering wheel buttons with the dashboard's MFI display. The "Phone" button on the radio itself is only for initiating and ending calls if you happen to want to use the radio to do this instead of the MFI steering wheel buttons or the actual phone itself.

With my MFI, if I do not have a currently "active bluetooth connection" to one of the phones or iPods previously configured; then I do not even see the "delete" item on the system menu to be able to remove a bluetooth device profile. I've been able to successfully add and delete phones and iPods, but if I did not have an empty slot to add a new bluetooth device or could not connect to any of the devices already configured, then I would have the same issue.

Please let us know how you finally resolve this problem.

darrelt

TDI
2013 Passat
I have the RNS-510 in my 2013 Passat and also found this confusing. On mine it is just as roostre indicated. Once I have connected to one of the phones that were previously configured, I can then go into the Bluetooth settings under phone in the MFI and the delete option will then allow me to select the device I would like to remove. Cannot, I don't believe, just be a bluetooth connected media device like an IPOD, it need to be one of the phone devices.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
RCD-510 here and I had the exact same problem. I was able to delete my old phone but only when the car was not connected to any other bluetooth device. So I powered down my new phone and then was able to delete the old phone via the MFI and steering wheel buttons.

I wish I could provide more detailed steps but it was one of those things where you try all kinds of combinations because of frustration and one magically works (but you can't remember exactly how you go there). Hope this helps. :)

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I have the RNS315 and just changed my phone out a week ago. Had no issues getting rid of the old phone or adding the new one. I did it on the radio, did not even know that it could be done in the MFD.

Was there an update from the 2012-2013?

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
the RNS-315 has an internal BT module, unlike the RCD-510 and RNS-510, which recieve a 9W7/9ZA/9ZB bluetooth module, 7P6035730 J-L I however got sick of it being crappy and went to a VW premium 9ZU/9ZZ 3C8035730D module- which arguably sucks (less)

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You need to be connected to your old phone, OR connect a new phone with a new user name and phone/media name in order to delete the old phone.

I can make a video if needed.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
You need to be connected to your old phone, OR connect a new phone with a new user name and phone/media name in order to delete the old phone.

I can make a video if needed.
Ah! That makes sense (sort of). My new phone has the same name as the old phone did (since it was restored from the old phone's backup).

But if the problem is that my new phone and the old phone had the same name, then wouldn't renaming my new phone not change anything?

I also tried doing this delete with the bluetooth turned off on my phone to make sure it didn't connect. Didn't make any difference.

So, please make a video so I can see what I am doing wrong. I appreciate it.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
You can pair a 5th, it asks which of the 4 you want to delete in order to add the new one. Once the new one is paired you can delete any of the other 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Thanks, I always wondered what would happen when you bumped up against the limit and tried to add one more device. I never had enough devices to get there and worried it could get nasty if I tried to add another device but had lost all of the current devices and could not delete one.

Hopefully this works with all radios and bluetooth modules. I have the RCD-510 with the bluetooth module located under the front passenger's seat instead of in the radio.