2012 PASSAT Issues

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
Kind a feel bad I am the one who is starting this thread. :(

But I figured it was going to get started eventually.

I have had my car for two weeks or so now and I have 1300 plus miles on it. Some issues that I have had so far.

- Rattle in the dash and somewhere in the back. (Nothing puts a damper on a new car experience like the rattles would). I just hate the fact that my new Passat was rattling in first 100 miles.
- Also my car did not come with a air-duct cover (For some reason the cover was missing, I did not see it until after a week when I opened the hood. Yes my fault for not checking but who would have thought.) The cover I talk about is right in front of the air intake.
- My steering wheel is not perfectly centered and I feel the car is out of alignment (Not a big deal but just irritating)

I have an appointment this Friday with the dealership to take care of these issues.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Whew, I made it past 2000 miles without any isues...well almost, I can't put the full 18.5 gallons in my tank.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
sorry for your troubles....Could you elaborate on the air-duct cover?

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Wow.. So sorry to hear that
I'm in DFW too.
I can recommend you the best service advisor and service manager at VW dealer in the metroplex to handle all your problems.
I will send you my number so you can call me..

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow.. So sorry to hear that
I'm in DFW too.
I can recommend you the best service advisor and service manager at VW dealer in the metroplex to handle all your problems.
I will send you my number so you can call me..
Yes that would be great. I was wondering which is the best dealership to take my car to. I am in Coppell so very centrally located. Lewisville is the closest dealership to me.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Yes that would be great. I was wondering which is the best dealership to take my car to. I am in Coppell so very centrally located. Lewisville is the closest dealership to me.

Already sent you a PM with my cellphone number...
Call me when you have a chance..

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I am glad to see all the DFW guys. I am moving there in January and I just picked up my Passat TDI last night. Less than 100 miles on it so far.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
I am glad to see all the DFW guys. I am moving there in January and I just picked up my Passat TDI last night. Less than 100 miles on it so far.
Congratulations on a new car!! Welcome to DFW. What's moving you here? Where in DFW? Where are you moving your from?

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Congratulations on a new car!! Welcome to DFW. What's moving you here? Where in DFW? Where are you moving your from?
My company is relocating me down there and my wife has family in the area. We will most likely end up in the Mansfield area and we are moving down from the Indianapolis region.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
My company is relocating me down there and my wife has family in the area. We will most likely end up in the Mansfield area and we are moving down from the Indianapolis region.
If you are not already familier with the ares in DFW. I would highly recommend something not as far out as Mansfield. You will be much more happy in the long run if you were in area north of the airport.

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Ozzmosis, Welcome to the Lone Star State !
If you ever need something here just yell me.. I will be happy to help.
Also I have good relations with several VW dealers in the area thy can help you to service your car..
Anyway, welcome to the Metroplex and congrats on your new Passat..
My have 2060 miles on 32 days...it's a TDI SEL Premium Tugsten silver.
By the way, it has been like a rock.. :)

Last edited:

JazzBeBop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE manual
Welcome to the DFW area. I've had my Passat for 2k+ miles that I bought in September 26 and the only rattling noise I have is coming from my garage door opener and the air pressure gauge in the glove compartment.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
These are common teething problems so that you do not forget to visit the dealer again.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
In the 7,800 miles I've put on mine since the end of September the only issue I've had is the right rear window will got down but not back up. Fortunately being the RR I can just not use the window.

There is a service campaign for the dealers to check either before delivery or at your 6k courtesy check. I have an appointment on Monday to get mine fixed.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
If you are not already familier with the ares in DFW. I would highly recommend something not as far out as Mansfield. You will be much more happy in the long run if you were in area north of the airport.
I agree with the North of Airport suggestion.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have an appointment this Friday with the dealership to take care of these issues.

Def demand and alignment, VW won't pick up the tab past 6K, and you're cars wheel should be straight, no matter the crown on the road or not.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
In the 7,800 miles I've put on mine since the end of September the only issue I've had is the right rear window will got down but not back up. Fortunately being the RR I can just not use the window.
Wow! Thats some miles you've put on. Perfect TDI driver.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Early adopters should not be surprised by first year issues and do perform a great service for later adopters.
On behalf of the latter, thanks.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Early adopters should not be surprised by first year issues and do perform a great service for later adopters.
On behalf of the latter, thanks.
Agreed, and your welcome. I had not planned on being an early adopter but when my '04 was totaled my choices were limited.

So far I have no complaints, yes the window is a problem but I know it will be resolved. In fact the only reason it wasn't resolved at the courtesy check a month ago was that I did the check in the evening and the dealership needs to call the support line to deal with service program 64C6 for the window.

Yes getting the tank to the full mark is a pain, but not really much worse than my F350. When the F350 clicks off if I'm careful and slowly add more fuel and watch the foaming I can get another 2-3 gallons in the tank.

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I agree with the North of Airport suggestion.

Thanks guys, we have family in the Arlington/Grand Prairie/Mansfield area. That is why we are planning on staying in that area. Thanks for the advice though. I may look for some help in finding a good dealer and etc. once we are down there.

Andy

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Yes getting the tank to the full mark is a pain, but not really much worse than my F350. When the F350 clicks off if I'm careful and slowly add more fuel and watch the foaming I can get another 2-3 gallons in the tank.
Same for my F250, but I can add up to 4 gallons if I have the will. I only do this before long towing trips so I have some bonus miles before refilling.

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

The dealer is working on various noises. The steering wheel was off centered and the car will get an alignment tomorrow morning. I have created a separate thread for the Adblue splashing noise as I would like an input from other TDI owners.

I hear the adblue splashing around in the tank. It was confirmed by the dealer today and they do not have a solution for it.

The dealer is working on three distinct noises in my car. Two rattles and one noise as if something in the trunk splashing around. They isolated the rear metal noise and attached some insulation to it.
The technician actually rode in the trunk of the car and he said the splashing noise is the adblue. They talked to VW and they don't have a solution for that.

So all new Passat owners do you hear the adblue also or is it just my car?

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Update:

The dealer is working on various noises. The steering wheel was off centered and the car will get an alignment tomorrow morning. I have created a separate thread for the Adblue splashing noise as I would like an input from other TDI owners.

I hear the adblue splashing around in the tank. It was confirmed by the dealer today and they do not have a solution for it.

The dealer is working on three distinct noises in my car. Two rattles and one noise as if something in the trunk splashing around. They isolated the rear metal noise and attached some insulation to it.
The technician actually rode in the trunk of the car and he said the splashing noise is the adblue. They talked to VW and they don't have a solution for that.

So all new Passat owners do you hear the adblue also or is it just my car?
I haven't noticed the adBlue, but I do hear the diesel splash around same as in my Jetta.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
If you can hear the adblue splashing, the new passat tdi must be very quiet indeed.
I would turn up the tunes, drive more and worry less.
I hope the other noises are fixed though.

Last edited:

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
If you can here the adblue splashing, the new passat tdi must be very quiet indeed.
Yup at this point I am hoping they can fix other rattles. I will be a happy man if that is done.

Big Red

Veteran Member
If you can hear the adblue splashing, the new passat tdi must be very quiet indeed.
It's really quiet. Coming from a B4 to this is amazing. I'm not getting the rattles others are. But I'm enjoying the Sat. radio until the subscription runs out! Maybe that's why I don't hear the piss tank.