23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I was referring to the new programming (possibly) keeping the DPF hot, not rapid increase from cold. I agree that rapid increase in temp at any time isn't healthy.

BigWorm

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I got this update done yesterday. This morning I noticed the difference. The car seems to shift differently when cold. It's more smooth/fluidly. It might just be all in my head but it feels a bit better at all times even when started on a brief pause.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
On Friday I took a different route home after leaving work, something I rarely do. The hesitation was bad enough that it scared me. This occurred on a slight incline in 3rd gear. I may have to get the reflash next time I am near a dealership.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Will be curious to see also, though I'm still only on my second tank post-update.
Your last tank was very impressive...you're not going to let me to catch you if you keep pulling numbers like that! :)
Wow, great numbers! Still happy with the update?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Just got my update yesterday and notice no difference in drivability. I am also not getting the warmup blowtorch after every start even when car is warm like others have said. Today will be the first cold start since the update so I'll report back with my observations.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I had the update done with 30K PM. If there is a change, I haven't seen in 13K miles since.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I had this done yesterday. I had to do it in order to get the car registered with California DMV.

I have noticed that the software now is extremely aggressive in calculating the MPG it presents on the info screen. It also notices when you are freeway driving versus city driving.

Let me explain. The day before service I filled the tank with diesel. I drove 60 miles prior to the dealer service. When the tank was completely full the estimated range was about 550 miles. This is the typical reading I'd get when I filled up the tank.

With 65 miles on the clock after the service, I got directly on the freeway and the range shot up to 650 + the 65 miles already driven. I have ever seen 700 miles on a tank. EVER.

This morning on my commute which is 30 miles with 25% city driving, the range and the mileage were again extremely optimistic when driving on the freeway. As soon as I exited the freeway and went through one light (less than one quarter mile in distance), my range dropped from a total of 700 down to 600. I picked up a passenger and 2 miles later was back on the freeway. The mileage shot back up again.

Also, I'm not sure if the power has been muted in any way but the car feels less like the turbo lag "woosh" acceleration and more restrained. I feel like the power band has been smoothed over with less power spikes.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
I had this done yesterday. I had to do it in order to get the car registered with California DMV.
I have noticed that the software now is extremely aggressive in calculating the MPG it presents on the info screen. It also notices when you are freeway driving versus city driving.
Let me explain. The day before service I filled the tank with diesel. I drove 60 miles prior to the dealer service. When the tank was completely full the estimated range was about 550 miles. This is the typical reading I'd get when I filled up the tank.
With 65 miles on the clock after the service, I got directly on the freeway and the range shot up to 650 + the 65 miles already driven. I have ever seen 700 miles on a tank. EVER.
This morning on my commute which is 30 miles with 25% city driving, the range and the mileage were again extremely optimistic when driving on the freeway. As soon as I exited the freeway and went through one light (less than one quarter mile in distance), my range dropped from a total of 700 down to 600. I picked up a passenger and 2 miles later was back on the freeway. The mileage shot back up again.
Also, I'm not sure if the power has been muted in any way but the car feels less like the turbo lag "woosh" acceleration and more restrained. I feel like the power band has been smoothed over with less power spikes.
I had my update performed as soon as it was made available, many months and miles ago. The only difference I have observed (using an FIS+) is less boost during the "blowtorch" warm-up cycle. My mileage and regen intervals were not affected (documented) and I don't "feel" any difference in power (subjective).

I take the MFD mileage/range/consumption metrics with a grain of salt; calculating the mileage at each fill up is the true measure. Bear in mind that the re-flash may have reset the parameter/MFD registers, which may account for the abnormal fluctuations you're observing.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
I had my update performed as soon as it was made available, many months and miles ago. The only difference I have observed (using an FIS+) is less boost during the "blowtorch" warm-up cycle. My mileage and regen intervals were not affected (documented) and I don't "feel" any difference in power (subjective).
I take the MFD mileage/range/consumption metrics with a grain of salt; calculating the mileage at each fill up is the true measure. Bear in mind that the re-flash may have reset the parameter/MFD registers, which may account for the abnormal fluctuations you're observing.
This reset might be what I'm experiencing. Still weird to see 710 miles per tank upon filling instead of 550.

In terms of the power, I felt that 1st gear of the DSG was just a "phantom" gear that didn't do much until 2nd gear is hit. It felt like the drive-train was "riding the clutch" at all times while in 1st. Then I'd get a rush of power as the clutch finally lets go in 2nd. Many times I'd chirp the tired in both 1st and 2nd because of these rushes of power. Now it's greatly muted on the shift from 1st to 2nd.

I'd only get to experience true 1st gear if I manually shifted the DSG, and even then it was:
1. very limited due to the gear ratio
2. even in manual mode, the DSG was always hesitant to actually give me first. It would ride the clutch if I was in any kind of motion and I'd literally have to stop to get 1st or I'd get first right before it needed to shift to 2nd. Is this normal operation for 1st gear in a DSG?

After the update, in addition to the drop in power between 1st and 2nd, I've noticed the DSG no longer rides 1st gear to warm the car up when cold but hold it in 2nd longer now. Now the DSG wants to get out of 1st as quickly as possible.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
This reset might be what I'm experiencing. Still weird to see 710 miles per tank upon filling instead of 550.
In terms of the power, I felt that 1st gear of the DSG was just a "phantom" gear that didn't do much until 2nd gear is hit. It felt like the drive-train was "riding the clutch" at all times while in 1st. Then I'd get a rush of power as the clutch finally lets go in 2nd. Many times I'd chirp the tired in both 1st and 2nd because of these rushes of power. Now it's greatly muted on the shift from 1st to 2nd.
I'd only get to experience true 1st gear if I manually shifted the DSG, and even then it was:
1. very limited due to the gear ratio
2. even in manual mode, the DSG was always hesitant to actually give me first. It would ride the clutch if I was in any kind of motion and I'd literally have to stop to get 1st or I'd get first right before it needed to shift to 2nd. Is this normal operation for 1st gear in a DSG?
After the update, in addition to the drop in power between 1st and 2nd, I've noticed the DSG no longer rides 1st gear to warm the car up when cold but hold it in 2nd longer now. Now the DSG wants to get out of 1st as quickly as possible.
Just an update on day 2 of the 23N5 recall and the over eager MPG ratings. With about half a tank gone and 300 miles driven, the computer is saying I have a range of 520 miles. Looks like I'll be setting some kind of record this week, boys. LOL

Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
My average fuel economy is lower after this update. Although I did have an additional problem that was repaired at the same time. There is a small possibility it's related to that.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I must be one of the really lucky ones! I had the 23N5 update last January.

:)

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
I bought my passat used. Can I use VCDS to see if this update has been done or not?