99.5 AC Compressor Compatibility

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
So my Golf is in need of a new AC compressor. It looks like the 99.5 and early 00's require part number 1J0820805 and later ALHs use 1J0820803N. I can get the later model for quite a bit less than the earlier model. Has anyone installed the later model in a 99.5? Is it just the clutch electrical connector that's different or is there more?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just the connector. Just get the later one and either change the connector via the de-pin method and transfer it over or just cut the wires and splice the original compressor's "pigtail" on to the new compressor.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Just the connector. Just get the later one and either change the connector via the de-pin method and transfer it over or just cut the wires and splice the original compressor's "pigtail" on to the new compressor.
Thanks! I think it's crazy that they spec an entirely different multi-hundred-dollar part just because one tiny electrical connector changed.

oilhammer

TDI
Some of the Chinacool aftermarket replacements come with an adapto-plug in the box specifically for these early cars.

Of course, I'd not recommend one of those compressors, but at least they solved the two part number issue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thanks! I think it's crazy that they spec an entirely different multi-hundred-dollar part just because one tiny electrical connector changed.
And then discontinue the part. We've been able to get some of the '99.5 (and '98/99 NB) weird stuff from Europe, but here it's hard. N75, Coolant temp sensor, etc. #99.5lyfe Part of the appeal of early production.

oilhammer

TDI
No doubt they were strange for us, but in Europe I am sure lots of bits of these were used on other models. I've found a handful of T3.5 (so, early 12v VR6 Eurovan) stuff is the same or can be made to work.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
If you absolutely have to have the old style plug, you can get the compressor for a Mk3 2.0, and swap the back cover of the compressor so the hose fittings line up.

-J

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
If you absolutely have to have the old style plug, you can get the compressor for a Mk3 2.0, and swap the back cover of the compressor so the hose fittings line up.
Interesting to know but I'm just going to change the plug on my car harness and use a new-style compressor. I've already replaced most of the other MK3-style connectors, turbo bracket, rear calipers, cluster, etc. Every year, my 99.5 becomes a little less 99.5-ish.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, I recently swapped out the whole transmission and shifter assembly from a 2004 BEW car. My crappy steel shifter box was cracked in about a half dozen places and was literally falling out of the car! There was not anything wrong with the transmission, but decided rather than mess with switching towers since I had the whole thing I just swapped it all. Spins about 200 RPMs less at 80 now, too, which is nice.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Shift tower and box swap is on my list for my '99.5. Sometimes the linkage gets lost when finding reverse. Have a .700 5th in the transmission, so that's staying put.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Some of the Chinacool aftermarket replacements come with an adapto-plug in the box specifically for these early cars.
Of course, I'd not recommend one of those compressors, but at least they solved the two part number issue.
Turns out it didn't matter after all. The Valeo compressor I'm replacing it with came with 2 different adapters so that it works with both the 99.5 connector and the newer connector.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The worst part is that there is different "stages" of 99.5 cars. My black 99.5 is a late 99.5 so it got some MY 2000 stuff installed like the intercooler with the map sensor on it rather than the charge air pipe. My dad red 99.5 is an early model and has the map on the upper IC pipe. Really weird and infuriating to try and match up parts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just check by VIN. When it comes to matching parts with models, trim levels, and years, VW is at the easy end of the scale. Audi and Mercedes have far more variations.

oilhammer

TDI
And the VIN sometimes is in error in ETKA. It is rare, but I have had it happen. BRM engine wiring harnesses most recently.

Add in things like part number supersession even though the "part" is technically the same but sometimes withOUT an actual compatibility or mediocre clarity..... Argh.... I have fought with that on T'reg trailer hitches recently, too.

We ran into something a while ago with brake drums on a Dasher. All the FWD 4-bolt 200mm brake drums are the same, but for reasons unknown VAG decided to update the part numbers as the models they were used on progressed. So the B1 Passat (Dasher) prefix of 321 or whatever it was got changed to 191 (A2) when the Golfs and Jettas got the 200mm rear drums in mid-'88 (previously they used 180mm). Then when the A3 cars started using them (which was not until '95 for us) the prefix changed again to 1H0. Same part, same drum, same size, etc. But for a while, if you looked that drum up in ETKA for that Dasher, it would give the old part number, which of course was NLA, BUT they had no supersession listed. Then finally they put the supersessions in (321 ---> 191 ---> 1H0) and now the later versions just show 1H0 right away on the lookup. I've run into similar instances many times with many parts. Very frustrating, and generally the dealer parts guys are lost without the VIN lookup, which simply does not work for the older stuff to begin with. Spoon feeding them part numbers is usually my best bet.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VIN error on '11-13 Sportwagen rear brake disc diameter. Story I heard is the assembly plant "goofed" and didn't know what size rotors they put on the cars. There's a note in ETKA, I believe.

My favorite ETKA phrase is "forward only and linear supersession."

Dasher drum brakes? Really? That's digging.