power steering fluid disappearing

k0wtz

TDI
guys I replaced the power steering pump 1998 beetle. It is eating power ssteeering fluid. I am now heading to the 3rd quart there is none leaking on the ground.

anyone have a hint to what to check for? P/s fluid is 20.00 quart I hate to keep loosing it!

mechanic said the first one I bought was just enough. now added another quart and its all gone now!

I cannot find how much it really holds?

thanks

bob

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Squeeze the inner tie rod boots, I’ll bet you find your fluid. If so you’ll be in for a steering rack replacement.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
That was my thoughts exactly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Yup, keep adding some, and it'll start dripping from the boots eventually. If you have a small leak, a "stop leak" type fluid could fix your problem, at least temporarily and buy you some time. The trick is to keep adding some and being patient with it. Takes a while for it to work.

Ultimately you're in for a rack replacement.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Mean while the fluid will thin out the grease on the inner tie rod and wear it out like mine did but new racks come with them. Detroit axles from the Amazon do ive changed out three and had good results. One audi 2 vw