CV Axle Sheared From Flange

CLEENDEEZ

TDI
2009 Red Jetta TDI
I have a 2001 5-speed Jetta TDI with about 175,000 miles on it. Third owner.

I got into my car one morning before having my coffee, and went to put my car into gear without pushing the clutch. This caused my passenger side axle to shear off from the flange.

I have some photos down below. Should I replace the transmission CV flange and axel? One and not the other? I'm trying to determine what the smartest decision is with this car if anyone else has advice. I have a second car that I am using for now, but love the high MPG on my Jetta.

https://imgur.com/a/KYglSa5

https://imgur.com/a/rj4SZMu

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Your bolts sheared, if you can get them out of the flange then you can replace them and the CV probably needs replaced. It's uncommon for the bolts to shear if it's tight, so the CV probably has dirt and grime in it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You’re lucky you weren’t traveling at 65 mph down the road, a loose rapidly rotating axle can cause a big mess. Whoever worked on your axle the last time weather it was you or someone else didn’t get those bolts torqued correctly. This seems to be a common problem.

Get six new bolts, check for any damage, fix as necessary, torque the axle bolts properly and motor on.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Good job, dude. I see some sessions of anger management in your future. (Having visions of Tony Soprano and Dr. Melphi).

Based on the excellent tilt I see on what is left of the one bolt....you need trans flanges and the whole nine yards.

Am willing to be you won't be engaging in this practice any time soon.....again.