Mk4 TDI not starting

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone, happy fourth of July if you celebrate that. Im on vacation for the weekend at my college apartment and my car decided it won't start, I figure it was relay 109 so I replaced that with a new one, it started right up and I drove around to make sure the battery was charged when I drove home tomorrow. Later, I tried to pull it into the garage only to find it won't start again, clicks once when I try to start it but it doesn't even try to turn over. Anything helps.

2001 Jetta TDI alh

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Sounds like it might have a bad battery?
Was the alternator light on while you were driving it around?
Did you try to jumpstart it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randal McDowell

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Battery reads 12.4 volts, no good way to check amperage with what I have. The alternator light wasn't on from what I remember but when I turn the key there is a check engine light. I have a stage one Malone tune, but I wouldn't expect it would block alternator codes?

Checked the positive, didn't seem obviously broken. I replaced the starter probably two months ago with one from AutoZone and it's been a little odd compared to the one I had prior, maybe something to do with it?

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yup could be a bad starter from auto zone for sure
When you do try to start it what’s the voltage of the battery
You could also run a wire from the positive of the battery to the solenoid on the starter to see if there’s any change
Make sure you have 12V at starter from battery cable & with the solenoid wire disconnected from the starter and when you turn the key to start it should be 12V as well

Last edited:

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I think I remember it dipping to somewhere between 9 and 10 volts

That’s ok
From the positive battery go straight to the solenoid terminal on the starter and see what happens if it doesn’t start most likely have a bad starter

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Better off buying a Bosch starter from ID parts or if Rock Auto carries Bosch they might be cheaper???

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I would agree. Autozone is hit or miss. That being said, I do like Duralast Gold batteries (what I have in all my mk4s). Other Autozone parts? Blah...