DSG Service Question

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Noob owner about to need the 40k service. Have watched vids, read posts here.

My question is this...why can't you do a hybrid of the measure-fill and the gravity methods?

By this I mean, remove drain plug and fill level tube and let drain completely then just install the fill level tube. And instead of measuring what drained out, just top fill with 4.75 - 5 L while still leaving drain plug out. Then bring it up to temp, shift through gears, and install drain plug.

Won't any excess come out the fill level tube?

Seems to be the simplest, cleanest method. As a noob to maintenance on this car, I admit I may be missing something.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Very simple. Remove everything up top including filter.
Go below and drain. Measure what comes out just to be safe.
Reinstall drain plug with new washer.
Go up top fill with 5 liters.
Reinstall filer with new cap o ring, make sure you oil new o ring.
I did exactly this....Took 45 min.
Dont over think it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Dont over think it.
This ought to be in the DIY sticky area. Common sense maintenance procedures like this (in contradistinction to the Rube Goldberg "official" DSG service method) are one of the great things that one comes across at TDI Club.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Noob owner about to need the 40k service. Have watched vids, read posts here.

My question is this...why can't you do a hybrid of the measure-fill and the gravity methods?

By this I mean, remove drain plug and fill level tube and let drain completely then just install the fill level tube. And instead of measuring what drained out, just top fill with 4.75 - 5 L while still leaving drain plug out. Then bring it up to temp, shift through gears, and install drain plug.

Won't any excess come out the fill level tube?

Seems to be the simplest, cleanest method. As a noob to maintenance on this car, I admit I may be missing something.
you could do it that way.

one reason they fill from the bottom is it is faster. you are not waiting for gravity fill of fluid through openings sized for pressurized fluid. also the bottom fill method passes the fluid through the filter before it heads down the hole.

but if you are squeeky clean, no harm in what you suggest, or probably in the overfill method suggested.

for me, the less time that filter is off the top, the better I feel.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
Dont over think it.
Did you prime the pumps with a VAG COM?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Drained 5L out so i put 5L in. It calls for 4.7 if a .3L overfill ruins the tranny then ud think it would ruined it in the 50k since its last change. But it didnt. So it wont. No reason to worry or over think it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Did you prime the pumps with a VAG COM?
There is no priming the DSG with VAG-COM (or VCDS). You're probably thinking of the fuel filter replacement. The prescribed method for getting the fluid circulating in the DSG is to start the engine after replacing the fluid / filter, and with foot on brake, cycle the gear selector through all positions, stopping at each for 5-10 seconds, then back to Park the same way.

spartanmanor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
There is no priming the DSG with VAG-COM (or VCDS). You're probably thinking of the fuel filter replacement. The prescribed method for getting the fluid circulating in the DSG is to start the engine after replacing the fluid / filter, and with foot on brake, cycle the gear selector through all positions, stopping at each for 5-10 seconds, then back to Park the same way.

Yep my bad. I don't know why I was thinking of a fuel filter change....

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I fill from the bottom . 45 min is a long time to wait. Are you doing the adaption 60 and 63 to reset the transmission? I do it to ever 40K DSG service.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I enjoy drinking beer and watching the fluid drain outa funnel into DSG. I warm the fluid on the stove (150*f). The whole process was less than 45 min and it was my first time. Thats how ill do it next time i liked it so much.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I enjoy drinking beer and watching the fluid drain outa funnel into DSG. I warm the fluid on the stove (150*f). The whole process was less than 45 min and it was my first time. Thats how ill do it next time i liked it so much.
+1 use the Wal-Mart funnel with the flex tube, bungee it to the hood and take your time :D
Set the oil bottles in the sun for a few hours prior and your set

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I do it on a hot summer's day and leave the bottles outside in the sun. I can fill in 15 mins. Maybe 30 mins total.