Machine shop recommendations in Phoenix, AZ?

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
I am rebuilding a 1Z block for a swap while I patiently await the status of my new T4 transmission, turbo, and other parts. The block looks like it's in great condition, but I still want to make sure the bores aren't egged out, get new IM shafts, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a machine shop in Phoenix, AZ they could pass along?

I tried bringing it to one on Cave Creek but between traffic and their crazy building layout I was unable to find the door and they wouldn't pick up their phone :rolleyes:

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Well, I just dropped everything off at Kelley's on Hatcher & 19th ave. The owner & one of his staff seemed a lot more friendly than other shops I've been to, so hopefully it all goes well. Edit: See below before choosing this shop.

It looks like either way I'll be the only tdiclub member in the entire South West with any machine shop experience in Phoenix, in the world. Man, that's saying something.

Last edited:

Wicked6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDi
Sounds like you have what you need already, but I should plug Zimmerman Racing - they do a lot of performance builds, so a 1Z might not be too tough..
:)

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Well, so far I'm happy enough with Kelley's. They seem to have done a good job on the block and are definitely far nicer to work with than other places I've been. I did have to take the flywheel back to them to get the step height set properly, but I'm willing to accept that it was a unique situation with a personnel change.

Prices seem fair and overall I'd recommend them [EDIT: See below].

Last edited:

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Follow-up: I asked them to take .007 off the deck to set piston protrusion for a 1-hole head gasket. They decked it crooked.

With this and the fact that I had to return my flywheel to them to set step height correctly means I can no longer recommend them for anything that requires close tolerances. This was a situation I was hoping to avoid by posting here, so hopefully at least I can save someone else trouble.

twentyeight

Veteran Member
TDI
1Z & ALH
Took another block to Zimmerman's. He seems very competent but unfortunately doesn't have a honing stone small enough. He recommended Gene's on Deer Valley.

Pat was very thorough in understanding what I wanted done, but didn't seem to have experience with TDI piston protrusion. Nevertheless, he explained that what the other shop did was cut my deck on a rotary broach, "the absolute worst way to deck a block."

The block I gave him was one that was damaged one terrible night in the desert and that I had written off. If he wrecks it I'm not really out much, but I am pretty optimistic that it'll be fine.