Eleven Months and 45,000 Miles

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
The Dieselgate brouhaha and the fact that I am closing in on one year and a lot of miles of ownership has got me to thinking about what car I would like to have if not the A3 TDI. If Audi buys the car back (big hypothetical, I know) what will I get instead? I honestly can’t think of any car within at least 10 grand of the A3’s price I’d want. A gas A3 would come the closest, but I sure would miss the distant hum of the engine and circling gas stations looking for the diesel pump.

To be sure, the annoyances I singled out in my first post (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429795) are still there: the sun visor is still useless and the blind spots to the rear quarters are still big enough to hide a Greyhound bus. I have learned to live with them, checking thrice at odd angled intersections and wearing a hat the makes me look like a half-crazed birdwatcher on safari.

The last 10,000 miles did bring some vexing problems with the electronics that have yet to be resolved. In addition to the Audi Side Assist randomly turning itself off as reported previously, a couple of other things went wrong, most importantly the navigation hung a couple of times just after I put in a destination. At about the same time, my cellphone randomly started refusing to connect to the Bluetooth. I took the car to the dealer who worked on it for a few days and couldn’t find anything wrong: it threw no error codes and they couldn’t reproduce the problems. They completely regenned the system, wiping out all my pins and stored destinations and we’ll see if that works. The only other thing they could offer was possible interference from my cellphone. I think it unlikely, but what do I know? I found and removed the app that was causing the Bluetooth connection problem, I think. The most frustrating thing about all this is that these glitches are so random and occur so infrequently that I can never know if they’ve been resolved or are just waiting for the worst possible time to reappear.

Oh, and then there’s the Audi MMI app for Android. Never all that good but gradually getting better, until the latest version. Complete disaster, too much to rant on about here.

Looking back over my post, I see that I’ve mostly talked about the problems. In reality, though, they are only a small part of owning the A3 TDI and, as I said in the beginning, I can think of no car I’d rather have. I just hope that whatever VW does to address its diesel emissions problems doesn’t screw things up.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
The Dieselgate brouhaha and the fact that I am closing in on one year and a lot of miles of ownership has got me to thinking about what car I would like to have if not the A3 TDI. If Audi buys the car back (big hypothetical, I know) what will I get instead? I honestly can’t think of any car within at least 10 grand of the A3’s price I’d want. A gas A3 would come the closest, but I sure would miss the distant hum of the engine and circling gas stations looking for the diesel pump.

To be sure, the annoyances I singled out in my first post (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429795) are still there: the sun visor is still useless and the blind spots to the rear quarters are still big enough to hide a Greyhound bus. I have learned to live with them, checking thrice at odd angled intersections and wearing a hat the makes me look like a half-crazed birdwatcher on safari.

The last 10,000 miles did bring some vexing problems with the electronics that have yet to be resolved. In addition to the Audi Side Assist randomly turning itself off as reported previously, a couple of other things went wrong, most importantly the navigation hung a couple of times just after I put in a destination. At about the same time, my cellphone randomly started refusing to connect to the Bluetooth. I took the car to the dealer who worked on it for a few days and couldn’t find anything wrong: it threw no error codes and they couldn’t reproduce the problems. They completely regenned the system, wiping out all my pins and stored destinations and we’ll see if that works. The only other thing they could offer was possible interference from my cellphone. I think it unlikely, but what do I know? I found and removed the app that was causing the Bluetooth connection problem, I think. The most frustrating thing about all this is that these glitches are so random and occur so infrequently that I can never know if they’ve been resolved or are just waiting for the worst possible time to reappear.

Oh, and then there’s the Audi MMI app for Android. Never all that good but gradually getting better, until the latest version. Complete disaster, too much to rant on about here.

Looking back over my post, I see that I’ve mostly talked about the problems. In reality, though, they are only a small part of owning the A3 TDI and, as I said in the beginning, I can think of no car I’d rather have. I just hope that whatever VW does to address its diesel emissions problems doesn’t screw things up.
Personally I'm considering a low mileage 2014-5 328d. Preowned and certified to 100K, seems to make sense and is less than a new A3 TDI, if and when they start selling them again. My willingness to defect is largely due to the fact that I bought this car after they knew they were in trouble. So maybe the execs didnt know a lot about this prior to the UWV report but they certainly did after. There is absolutely no way they will be buying our cars back. The most likely outcome is the ad blue equipped models will be recalibrated to inject more piss into the exhaust stream which basically means we'll be adding it every 5K instead of 10. And speaking of piss, all this has me pissed at VW/Audi to the point were a couple of weeks ago, I cancelled my order for a Golf R to replace my current one and bought a GLA 45 AMG instead.

It all quite a shame really as its been a pretty good little car. I too have mentioned the blind assist and MMI as problematic in the past. Other than that I've only experienced one really annoying thing. At least 4 times the car has display something along the lines of 'Engine overheating, pullover and turn off immediately' This has happened generally after moderately high g loads on off or on ramps. This morning the car shouted low coolant level, but a check revealed the level was fine. I was able to reproduce the problem by pulling the connector on the reservoir which forced that message and then reconnecting it and it went out. Presumably its just a bad sensor or connection. Otherwise the A3 been trouble-free for 11000 miles and now averages 45MPG with occasional trips showing 55 indicated. I'll probably keep it for another year or two, but this is third consecutive Audi I've had that has left a really bad taste in my mouth. The previous two were over a decade ago... took me that long to give them another chance. It's a shame they screwed this up so badly, but I'm done with them. I cant forgive them for not owning up immediately and instead leaving their supporters holding the bag on cars with plummeting resale values, deserved or otherwise.

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
A 2014 BMW 328d is an interesting idea, but hopefully it won't come to that. Indications now are that the emissions scandal impact on our cars will be minimal. This Consumer Reports YouTube video is especially engouraging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPnAA_Y3XI

If the fix knocks a few MPGs off my averages or a 10th of a second off my 0-60 as indicated in the video I'm not going to care. But if it affects drivability or engine life, that's a different matter; then I'll have to think about the 328d.

BTW - I just installed the latest MMI app on my phone. Seems to be working much better now. Knock on wood.