www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 18th, 2018, 23:46   #1
golfere
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 golf
Default PD Hiccup / Hesitation under light pedal

trying to fix a 2004 BEW that has new turbo & fuel filter -

Basically when i drive from around 1500-2000rpm and accelerate lightly the car jolts and hiccups (cuts out for a second for it to catch itself, turbo stops working until the rpm is higher or pedal is pressed more)

I can replicate the problem sometimes if i just let the rpm drop back to below 2k rpm and accelerate lightly

What else do you think it could be? Lift pump? Retune?
golfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:33   #2
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

The turbo is controlled by vacuum so make sure there are no vacuum leaks. The N75 valve is an electrically actuated valve that the engine computer uses to control how much vacuum is being sent to the turbo, so check all the small hoses related to that system to make sure there are no leaks, kinks, or collapsed hoses.

Is the turbo a new Borg-Warner KP39 from a reputable vendor? Or did you use something else. There are a few viable choices, but also some junk from China available.
Old October 19th, 2018, 08:49   #3
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

Unplug the MAF and see if it still does it.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 11:29   #4
k_pt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW MKIV TDI

Yes, could be MAF.

A VCDS read while on WOT, would be better to find the problem.
Old October 20th, 2018, 23:42   #5
golfere
Veteran Member

I unplugged the MAF and the car ran terrible; had to plug it back

turbo is an upgraded garrett gt1749v i believe - i will try to get it logged using VCDS and post back here

Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2018, 06:08   #6
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I had a problem similar to this. Light throttle and usually only on one particular place in the road. I checked everything, lift pump, MAF, etc, a slight torsion adjustment finally solved the problem.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:24   #7
golfere
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
I had a problem similar to this. Light throttle and usually only on one particular place in the road. I checked everything, lift pump, MAF, etc, a slight torsion adjustment finally solved the problem.

I feel like you and i are constantly talking about torsion haha; I guess i need to adjust and record whats going on! Im right at -1.0 / -1.5

Yes it only does it sometimes! I tried recording a log on my way home and it never hiccuped once
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:08   #8
k_pt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW MKIV TDI

Check also if you have oil on the fuel filter. Since it's a PD ...
Old October 22nd, 2018, 18:10   #9
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfere View Post
I feel like you and i are constantly talking about torsion haha; I guess i need to adjust and record whats going on! Im right at -1.0 / -1.5
Yes it only does it sometimes! I tried recording a log on my way home and it never hiccuped once

Youíre right, while torsion is important it isnít the only thing that could cause a slight hiccup.

Did you check the lift pump?

Another forum member had a slight skip and it turned out to be a faulty egr valve.

Unplug the egr and see what happens.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2018, 20:59   #10
golfere
Veteran Member

Good point on the EGR valve, i did an output test with VCDS and it works properly

I can hear the "squish" sound every time i turn ignition so doesnt that mean the lift pump works well?
Old October 22nd, 2018, 23:20   #11
golfere
Veteran Member

http://log.malonetuning.com/chart/24...nCoAAAAA%3D%3D

Managed to log the "hiccups" right around 2k rpm in 3rd gear slowly creeping up a hill

Anything seem crazy? This is with a stage 1.5 tune

Still want to adjust my torsion value as that also could be why my mpg has not gotten past 40mpg right?
Old October 23rd, 2018, 04:53   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Take the EGR valve out, see that it is completely closed (shine a light around the seat of the valve).

Then, do an Output Test of the EGR valve (KOEO) and see if it cycles properly and closes all the way every time.

Simply unplugging it won't help, as it could still be stuck slightly open when it shouldn't be.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 05:27   #13
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Also, a boost leak will cause a stumble or "hiccup" when you accelerate. A boost leak will usually be accompanied by a hissing sound when the stumble occurs.

Boost leaks are hard to diagnose because if you rev the engine without putting a load on it you will not hear the telltale hissing sound because the turbo is not coming up on boost.

You can cause the turbo to come up on boost while standing still by maintaining about 1500 RPM's and gently lugging the engine by feathering the clutch while in first. Kinda like starting out from a stop on a steep hill. Only lug the engine for a few seconds at a time so you don't burn up the clutch.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; October 23rd, 2018 at 05:30.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2018, 17:59   #14
golfere
Veteran Member

I will remove the egr valve and inspect it, however i remember cleaning it not even a couple months ago and it was in perfect condition once cleaned; Are you saying to do the output test with the EGR removed but connect the cable still?

No hissing is noticed only turbo spooling sound; I doubt its a boost leak but i will check everything as im stumped other than maybe i missed a vacuum line to be replaced or torsion value needing to be set from -1.5 to 1.0??
Old October 25th, 2018, 04:22   #15
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfere View Post
I will remove the egr valve and inspect it, however i remember cleaning it not even a couple months ago and it was in perfect condition once cleaned; Are you saying to do the output test with the EGR removed but connect the cable still?

No hissing is noticed only turbo spooling sound; I doubt its a boost leak but i will check everything as im stumped other than maybe i missed a vacuum line to be replaced or torsion value needing to be set from -1.5 to 1.0??
Yes, that is exactly what you do. Clean does not mean it is opening and closing properly.