Show & Shine categories and other awards

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This year's show and shine will be structured similarly to 2013's. All judging will be people's choice instead of an official panel of judges.

The categories for the Show & Shine are as follows.

Best in Show
-The people's choice favorite car of the show

Been Around the Block
-The most used vehicle / vehicle showing the most age, but still road-worthy enough to make it to the event

Attention to Detail
-Cleanest car at the show. Cannot also win Best in Show.

Best Daily Driver
-Best daily driver. Any year or model, this car will get you from A to B TDI style.

Best Modified (No Engine Conversion)
-Most modified vehicle. Conversions not included.

Best Conversion
-A successful conversion that looks like it could have come from the factory.

Ties will be broken by awarding the win to the vehicle with higher mileage.

The Show & Shine will take place on Sunday from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Car staging will take place from 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. Please choose the show/spectate option when you register for Fest; entry is free.

Other award at this year's TDIFest include:
  • TDI vehicle with the highest mileage
  • Farthest distance driven to TDIFest (Google Maps shortest route from your home - extended road trips do not count)
  • bug*pwr
  • Best fuel economy on the trip to TDIFest (honor system, must be present at Sunday's awards banquet to win)

Any questions? Feel free to discuss in this thread. :)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Also noteworthy, unlike 2013 where conversions were in their own class, all vehicles in this year's event will be competing against one another. In other words, conversions will be eligible to win awards besides the best conversion award.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
How about shortest drive to the event? I'm at 3 miles :)

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
I just don't know.....A part of me wants to show off my new TDI one of Chris's last sales....and the other part is I am just not feeling it anymore....stuff happening in my personal life...and hate the idea of a 10 hour drive by myself!
:(
It is quite a drive (I'm another hour south of you), but maybe you could get Jason (compu) with you at least one way. His work is interfering with his usual travel plans. Check out the carpooling thread to see his plans and maybe find another travel companion. Maybe getting away for a weekend with old friends would be a good break from whatever you're dealing with...translocation therapy, as my roommate calls it. :)

Either way, take care.

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
calling all conversions!

In 2013, we had a lot of wonderful conversions in the show & shine. I assumed that they all came crawling out of the mountains of New England, so I'd hope we get a similar number this year. Since there's a conversion category AND they can compete in the rest of the categories this year, it'd be nice to get an idea what kind of turnout we'll have.

Anyone out there planning to bring a conversion (and enter it in the show & shine)?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I just don't know.....A part of me wants to show off my new TDI one of Chris's last sales....and the other part is I am just not feeling it anymore....stuff happening in my personal life...and hate the idea of a 10 hour drive by myself!
C'mon, Tom. I don't want to be the only old curmudgeon at the Fest! If I wasn't making it a weeklong pilgrimage visiting friends in CT, RI, MA, NH & VT on the way up and back, we could carpool.

cfc1016

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon Auto; 2001 Beetle 5spd
Shoot me a pm. My itinerary is a bit strange. I can see about bringing you up there if it works with my schedule

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
It is OK! if I am Going, I am Driving.....just old and tired and a lot of Crap going on in my life right now.....I actually really need the time off....

cfc1016

TDI
Me too. I'm just young and tired and have a lot going on. I too need the time off. I'm very excited to visit friends and family in maine and massachusetts, as well as speed hiking the great gulf trail. Even if the fest is a total blower, I will have had an epic roadtrip.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
was going to bring the GTI, but I think I have a chance at the 'been around the block' award with my 2001!

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
S&S entry deeadline

The Show & Shine will take place on Sunday from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM. Car staging will take place from 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM. Please choose the show/spectate option when you register for Fest; entry is free.
When is the deadline to enter the show & shine? I know it was a part of registration, but if someone changed their mind between then and now, is entry still an option? If so, how would one go about that?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
They can register for the show and shine at check in. The dead line could be on Saturday on Sunday at 10:00 AM.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I have to withdraw my Passat from the show and shine. I am still waiting for a part, which may not arrive at my house until Friday, which will be too late for me to install it and make it up there with it. We are driving my husband's Jetta, but we got sideswiped by a camper at a rest area today, so I don't consider it "showable". No serious damage but it is ugly for the time being.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
So sorry to hear that Cindy. We'll be glad to see you guys anyway no matter what the car looks like!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I just got back last night and need to reconcile people and their cars. I should have it posted later tonight.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Show & Shine Results

Best in Show:​
H​ere’s where you choose your favorite car in the Show & Shine.
Winner: Tom Walker (tomo366)

Attention to Detail:​
T​his award is given to the vehicle in the Show & Shine that you think is the most meticulously cleaned/maintained.
Winner: Julie Storey (Hamsterdiesel)

Best Daily Driver:​
B​est daily driver. Any year or model, this car will get you from A to B TDI style.
Winner: Peter Storey (PeterV)

Best Modified (No Engine Conversion):​
T​he best example of a modified car. Not necessarily the most modified, but one where the modifications have been done with great care and planning too. Engine conversions not included.
Winner: Glenn Norris (TransientTDI)

Best (Engine) Conversion:​ A​ successful conversion (engine) that looks like it could have come from the factory.
Winner: Brandon Bosworth (Iron Alterations)

Been Around The Block:​
T​he most used vehicle / vehicle showing the most age, but still road*worthy enough to make it to the event
Winner: Mike Haslam (yatzee)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks for the pic, Tom. If any of you have pics of the other winners, please post them here. It completely slipped my mind to take pics of all of the entries. :eek:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Thanks for the pic, Tom. If any of you have pics of the other winners, please post them here. It completely slipped my mind to take pics of all of the entries. :eek:
you guys really want a pic of my Jetta? :eek:

getting a new door tomorrow - maybe a rear bumper cover also. Still looking for fenders.

BTW - Chris from NS - I didn't catch your user name - can you shoot me a PM about your fenders?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Best engine conversion

VeeDubTDI

TDI

getting a new door tomorrow - maybe a rear bumper cover also. Still looking for fenders.

BTW - Chris from NS - I didn't catch your user name - can you shoot me a PM about your fenders?

Yes - your car's rust was impressive. Please post pre-fix pics. :)

cfc1016

TDI

NOOOOOOO!!! Don't get rid of the speed holes!

Any pics of TransientTDI's 'go-anywhere' jetta would be appreciated. that thing was frikkin incredible.