www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old November 2nd, 2012, 11:59   #1
EnigmaMan

TDI(s): 2011 Jetta
Default Blown Speakers due to "Help" button on steering wheel

So, when I call people on my bluetooth sometimes I have to turn the volume up to max in order to carry on a conversation and hear the other person on the other end because its so low.

Well For some reason it saves its last known volume state so a few times when I go to backup into parking spots I hit the stupid voice activated button on the steering wheel.

Now, when i go to listen to music i hear the classic flub / rattle of the speakers like they are blown.

Would this be covered under warranty? I have about 1600 miles to go before my 13 month / 36k warranty runs out!
EnigmaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:34   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaMan View Post
Would this be covered under warranty? I have about 1600 miles to go before my 13 month / 36k warranty runs out!
I'm pretty sure that doors (speakers) are somewhere in the "bumper to bumper" region. I would take it to the dealer. The worst they can do is to say no, then you can call VW's help line and complain and see what happens. It can't hurt (much) to try.

Have Fun!

Don
Old November 2nd, 2012, 13:39   #3
JaredC01
Veteran Member

I currently have at least one blown speaker, after having one replaced already.

Yes, it does fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and they will replace whatever speaker is blown, but if there's more than one and they don't "detect" the other blown speaker(s) will have to be scheduled again.

That was my situation anyway, now I'm just gonna replace them with some Alpine components.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 16:50   #4
deoncollins69

I have the same issue. Blew both front door speakers. I bought a vcds to reprogram the system and it won't take the code. Anyone know if the fender speakers are any better?
deoncollins69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 19:07   #5
joeelmex
Veteran Member

I have Fender Speakers and no issues to report as of now. I have put the volume pretty high too.
joeelmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 19:11   #6
JaredC01
Veteran Member

For the cost of the Fender replacements, you could probably go aftermarket with stock HU and get the best of both worlds...
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:33   #7
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Lucky to not have blown mine yet, somehow! Sometimes I enjoy the stereo a little too much!
Dozenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:28   #8
mo_focus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 84 944

While you are at the dealer ask them to change the button from voice activation to mute button. That will save you the headace in the future.

If you have vcds you can do it youself as well.
1987 VW Vanagon Westfalia
mo_focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:26   #9
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_focus View Post
While you are at the dealer ask them to change the button from voice activation to mute button. That will save you the headace in the future.

If you have vcds you can do it youself as well.

Sweet, I gotta do that! Whenever I accidentally hit the button I have to wait and wait for the stupid thing to be ready for me to yell "cancel" at it and hope it interprets it.

Bluetooth annoys me so I don't use it, but I barely use my phone for talking. If I stream audio from it, it's delayed and out of sync, so I use a good old fashioned wire into the aux port. Plus, it doesn't always sync with turning the car on and off, it has to be done in the correct order or it doesn't work. Basically worthless to me. If I were a networking sales rep on the interstate all the time, yeah I guess it would be cool...
Old November 6th, 2012, 00:56   #10
markanthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozenspeed View Post
Sweet, I gotta do that! Whenever I accidentally hit the button I have to wait and wait for the stupid thing to be ready for me to yell "cancel" at it and hope it interprets it.
Push the button two more times. Second push stops the prompt voice, third cancels the whole thing and resumes what you were listening to. I always seem to hit that button when turning the steering wheel.
markanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 00:58   #11
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanthony View Post
Push the button two more times. Second push stops the prompt voice, third cancels the whole thing and resumes what you were listening to. I always seem to hit that button when turning the steering wheel.
I'll try that, thanks!
Old November 6th, 2012, 09:53   #12
mrmmacd77
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-48

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanthony View Post

^^^ this... I really dislike that button...
mrmmacd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:36   #13
einsteinjs

I have had 3 of my speakers replaced while under warranty... Now Im not under warranty anymore and the last speaker needs to be replaced.

MKVI speakers SUCK
einsteinjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:56   #14
pdt165
Veteran Member

Where in VCDS is this?
Old November 6th, 2012, 13:22   #15
JaredC01
Veteran Member

The mute buton? It's in the CECM, long coding, helper, the it's one of the bytes that says something along the lines of Voice Activation something. Give me an hour or two and I'll see if I can get a screen shot of the location.

That was one of the things I changed over the weekend.

One other thing to note with the (newly working) mute button, is that when you hit it again to unmute the system, the volume will only go as high as your startup volume is set.

BTW, if you have a 2011 MY, there is a voice activation button in the overhead whatchamacallit.