www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Old March 7th, 2007, 08:49   #1
schwechel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/50/40
Default New TDIClub Wiki!

Hello everyone, I just wanted to announce the creation of the TDIClub Wiki! I created this because of a local GTG we are having in Wisconsin. I figured it would be an easy way to organize all of the information for the GTG and also for people to sign up for various parts of the GTG. This might have use beyond just organizing GTGs, but I haven't thought of any yet. You can go to the wiki page and create your own subpages for any reason that you want. Or if you want me to create some pages for you that is fine as well. We do have a GTG template that you can use to help set up any GTGs that might be going on. I did get the "OK" from Fred to use TDIClub in the name, and he is all for this idea. So let me know what you think about it and if you know of any other ways this Wiki page could be used.

http://tdiclub.wetpaint.com

Derek
03' Galactic Blue 250,000 miles. Ventectomy, Euro Spec side mirrors, Monster Mats, PhatNoise, clear side markers, Key Fob Mod, grille badge, Euroswitch, E-codes, PP520s, Zerostart, 5 Brake Light, EGR Delete, Boost/EGT gauge, RC2, and boostvalve.
schwechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:01   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe
Thumbs down

Thanks for spamming this post in like... 10 different forums. Simply posting once in Web Page News would have sufficed.
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:03   #3
burpod
teh stallionz!!1

Default what the....???

woah -- hold on there! why did you post this in like... 10 forums? you actually even missed the one forum this would apply to - midwest USA!! dude, what's going on???
88 scirocco
AHU 2056vl build... delayed...05 jetta tdi & 06 golf tdi

Last edited by burpod; March 7th, 2007 at 12:09.
burpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 13:34   #4
schwechel
Veteran Member

Well not everyone checks every forum, so I was going to post it in all of the individual ones. Thanks for the support!
03' Galactic Blue 250,000 miles. Ventectomy, Euro Spec side mirrors, Monster Mats, PhatNoise, clear side markers, Key Fob Mod, grille badge, Euroswitch, E-codes, PP520s, Zerostart, 5 Brake Light, EGR Delete, Boost/EGT gauge, RC2, and boostvalve.
Old March 7th, 2007, 13:38   #5
schwechel
Veteran Member

I posted this in a bunch of forums because not everyone checks every forum, so I wanted to make sure people heard about it. And I put posts in the individual GTG threads in the Midwest forum. But thanks for the support!
Old March 7th, 2007, 15:06   #6
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

It is considered bad etiquette to cross-post the same thread across multiple forums. I have collected and pruned all threads (11 of them) into this one here. Please don't do it again.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 15:37   #7
schwechel
Veteran Member

But that doesn't make any sense. I doubt anyone will even looks at this forum, much less people trying to organize GTGs, which is the whole point behind this Wiki.
Old March 7th, 2007, 15:44   #8
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Not only that, but you've been beaten to the punch LONG ago.

http://communityhosting.net/tdiclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 16:11   #9
schwechel
Veteran Member

This is what I'm talking about. We have these great resources that no one knows about. If they were properly shown to the community, then they could be utilized. I don't even know if Fred knows about that Wiki, because when I proposed the idea to him he thought it would be very useful. I would think if he already knew of a wiki page that he would have told me one already existed.
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:52   #10
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I give you the full benefit of the doubt that you have good intentions and thank you for your efforts. However, there are better methods to make your Events Wiki more visible to a the forum members than cross-posting threads in 11 forums, and then posting amost half-a-dozen more posts embedded into other existing threads. Again, DO NOT DO THIS!!!

In the first place, if one single thread were posted here with a note to Fred, he might decide to make it a forum-wide announcement. But instead you made it (perhaps unknowingly and untentionally, but still) a waste of bandwidth and a big clean-up job.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:11   #11
schwechel
Veteran Member

If you know of better options I would love to hear them and try them. But simply posting it once in this forum that has nothing to do with the Wiki's intented use makes no sense to me. I'm open to other options, but since no one is suggesting any other alternatives, I'm trying to get the word out the best I can. And I doubt Fred is going to do a forum wide announcement.

Here is the response I got from Fred:

Quote:
I think something like that is a good idea. Taking it a step further I wonder if
it could be levereged for other groups and making the organizing of GTGs easier.
If it works I'm willing to migrate that into the actual TDIClub site, host it
and tie it into the calendar somehow.

Fred
So he knows about the site and thinks it is a good idea. If he wanted to do a forum wide announcement he would have. Again, I'm open to any other options you can present to me, but so far all anyone has done is say "stop posting about the wiki".
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:47   #12
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

The point is, #1, you've been beaten to the punch, and #2, you were SPAMMING.

Quote:
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:06   #13
schwechel
Veteran Member

My response is #1, the other wiki doesn't do what this wiki does. It basically reposted the TDI FAQ into a wiki page. This one is to organize GTGs, and #2, if I can only post in one thread how am I supposed to get the word out? I agree spamming is bad, but there is a difference. If I was posting about a company I own, or how I was selling the greatest phone ever for only $9.99, that would be spam. It is only for personal gain and has nothing to do with the site. I posted it in approriate forums, and I don't make a penny off of this site. I'm putting my own time into it to try and help the community. So I don't think this qualifies as spamming.

Why is everyone so narrow minded and against change?
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:13   #14
GCMarx
Veteran Member

Since it's a wiki, why don't you just add a GTG Planning section to the currently existing wiki?
GCMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:15   #15
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

First off... what. exactly. is. the. point. of. a. GTG. wiki. A forum is IDEAL for GTG discussion, especially if the OP edits the first post.

Second... I would advise you to look up the definition for spam. Actually, no, I'll do it for you. Since you appear to have such a hard-on for using wikis where they're not supposed to be used, I'll give you Wiktionary's definition.

Quote:
(countable noun) An unsolicited electronic message sent in bulk, e.g. by email or newsgroups.
That doesn't rule out messages that aren't advertising a product for sale, or a service.

Quote: