cant climb mountains

obstin8

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003
I see that there have been several posts about performance and the MAP sensor. I wanted to verify what I have been seeing and that it is indeed the MAP sensor. I was driving up a on ramp about a month ago and the power droped like a rock. The thing barely made it onto the highway. Engine light came on. Since then I have had a hard time climbing hills that I used to burn up. When it is on cruise control, it does fine on the flats but will drop speed going up. When I drive on manual the turbo goes in and out and in and out and in and out. It is a 99.5 A4 5sp manual. No additions. Basic model. I have not looked @ the EGR. I do not even know where it is. Where is the MAP sensor? Am I on the right track? What is the deal with the 2.0 MAP? What is the cost difference? There has been some talk about the VNT sticking. Is it the turbo itself? When cleaning out the intake, what expendable items are there as far as what is needed to be replaced when pulled off or does it all go back on?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
You mean 'MAF'.

MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor.

The MAP sensors are almost bulletproof. The MAF sensors seem to be as fragile as soap bubbles.

You should get the code read just in case. You can also unplug the MAF and see if it works better.

You should also, considering the age, take a look at your intake. Take the engine cover off. Look for the big silver hockeypuck thingy on the upper left of the engine. With the proper tools, loosen and remove the clamp and intake hose and peer inside. If it's really grunged up, that may be your problem. You can do a 'search' around here and come up with both pictures and instructions.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well you need to do a VagCom diagnoses to know for sure what is going on, though the MAF is good albeit expensive guess.

At the top of the page is a hypertext link called "VAG-Com list", click on this and go to your state and you will find with email links:

LanduytG(71), Greenfield (888-306-4255)
Has VAG-COM:
[Also has a Bentley manual on CD. Located in the Indianapolis area.]
Golf Girl(298), Lowell, 46356 (219-696-6965)
MIA(132), Terre Haute or Indianapolis (depends),
Has a laptop/computer: | Has VAG-COM:

Greg Landuy does a lot work on TDI's so he is probably the most knowledgeable. Of course, now that I have said that either GolfGirl or MIA will turn out to know more.

VagCom can parse out the problem between MAF and Boost, though I agree that a quick look at your EGR/Intake is in order as VagCom does not have eyes.