2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition Problems

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Hello, my Dad's 2010 Jetta Cup Edition has developed an annoying rattling noise somewhere in the dash to the right of the vent that points up (I don't know the technical term for it :(). The noise is pretty far in the front near the defroster vents. The noise only occurs while accelerating and it didn't start until it got cold.

The other problem is I cannot get the center arm rest to fold down. When I pull on the little loop it will move a little, but not fold all the way down. I can fold it down to access to the trunk (I mean the little center piece, not the whole seat), but I can't use the cup holders :( Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Does the noise definitely come from inside the car, or could it be in the engine compartment or around the wipers? If inside the car, you may go nuts trying to find it. Tearing apart the dash may be your only way to succeed.

The dealer should be more than qualified to show you how to use the armrest or fix it if need be. Yes, I just recommended going to a dealer!

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
I am 90% sure that it is coming from within the car because it is somewhat loud (but not deafening). If it was coming from outside the car, then it must be really loud. I'll try to have my Dad slowly drive around the block with my head out the window and accelerate periodically periodically to see if I can hear the noise from outside the car.

If the dealer has to show me how to fold down the arm rest, then I will feel like the stupidest person in the world... I used to be able to fold it down no problem, but now it gets stuck half way. I don't want to try forcing it. The noise and the arm rest problem didn't start until it got cold, so if we can't figure it out then I guess we can just live with it for the rest of the winter.

Unklmoe

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup edition
I have a TDI Cup with the same dash noise.... It seems to come and go.... You are correct in the location ... on the passenger side close to the glass.....When it bugs me enough I will do more to fix it .... TURN UP THE RADIO....lol...

Tdi_Jetta_94

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW
My 05 jetta sometimes gets that....usually on the driver side. If I got rid of the ice between the wipers and on the blades it usually went away! Just incase this helps I thought I'd post it! If there isn't snow and ice where you are, then just disregard! :)

Geesixty

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I have had the dealership replace my rear center arm rest twice now. I took delivery of my TDI Cup brand new and it was broken from the very beginning. The dealership replaced the armrest with a brand new one, which worked a few times and got stuck again. I then had it replaced a second time and so far, so good... even though it still occasionally grinds a bit when I pull it down, at least it works.

Gotta love "German Engineering"... I don't know how they screwed up something as simple as an armrest, but they did.

Regarding the rattle... I have one as well... it comes a goes. I also have a speaker rattle somewhere around the passenger door. Again, not sure why my 10 year old Pilot has fewer rattles than my 2 year old TDI Cup... but I have owned VWs for over 20 years now and this is nothing new. :mad:

DruzTdiCup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG Tech 2010 Candy White Sportwagen TDI DSG pano
+1 here with passenger door rattle. I am due for my 30k so I will press dealer on this also. Sometimes the overhead console has a rattle too:(

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Very cold weather brings out interior plastic rattles in all cars. *usually* you will notice they disapiate one the cabin temp. comes up.

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
Had my 2010 Cup edition in for the 40K service. My TDI guru noticed that the air conditioner compressor is failing. The dealer (VW Lewisville, TX) is trying to get VWofA to cover it since I am just outside of the warranty on mileage (even though I bought the car new in March of 2011). Anyone else have this problem? Not happy about this. I'll know tomorrow if VW covers it.

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks. Took the car to Lewisville VW here in Texas and VW of A decided to replace the compressor. Good to have it done before summer hits (we are expecting 83 F on Tuesday).