FS: 1999.5 Jetta TDI - damaged by deer - Black Hills of South Dakota

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Well, I'm sick...I hit a deer. The front end damage is extensive and clearly more than the value of the car. The car was running fine immediately after damage so I'm assuming no motor problems. I shut it down as I pulled over. It wouldn't have run much longer though as the fuel line coming off the filter was broken.

The motor has 207k and runs perfectly. It's been perfectly maintained with T6 changes. It had a ton of work done by my local guru about 40k miles ago: full belt job, injection pump reseal, intake cleaning, full brakes, ball joints, control arms, and some other items. The battery is a year old, the tires have 15k on them, turbo pipe is new, t-stat and flange are new. The interior is in good shape considering miles. It's the GLS model so has beige leather heated seats.

I have no use for it now. Ultimately I'd like to find a great condition body with a bad motor but I'm sure that's virtually impossible. I can deliver in the Midwest for a very reasonable delivery price. I have no idea what the value of something like this is - suggest a price, shoot me offers, whatever.

I can add pictures over the weekend.

Thanks!

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
I know there's a 1999.5 Golf TDI with a broken timing belt up here in MB. Not totally sure the body condition though...pm me if you want me to look into it deeper.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I know there's a 1999.5 Golf TDI with a broken timing belt up here in MB. Not totally sure the body condition though...pm me if you want me to look into it deeper.
Thanks for thinking of me....might be a little far away but if you run across any information, I'd take a look at it.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Wow, that interior is mint... Wondering about the radio head unit...

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
IF it was me i would get the frame checked 1st , If it's all god i will repair the sucker, You know the car in and out .It looks clean inside

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
IF it was me i would get the frame checked 1st , If it's all god i will repair the sucker, You know the car in and out .It looks clean inside
I just figured it would cost double the car's value to get it done. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Guess I should get a quote if nothing else. Anything over $2-$3k seems unproductive but a very likely repair amount...or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I bet all that car needs is a new front clip with core support included. Might need new radiator and a/c coil...

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Could be. Maybe I can find the parts myself and potentially save some money. Any good sources for parts via mail order anyone is aware of?

macmatic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd GLS wagon
Could be. Maybe I can find the parts myself and potentially save some money. Any good sources for parts via mail order anyone is aware of?

It looks to me like almost everything that needs to be replaced is a bolt-on part. The inner fender on the right might need some metalwork but unless there's something more serious I'd fix it! You can clearly tell I'm too far away to take it off your hands... ;)

Keep your eyes on Rapid City craigslist and take a look at ebay too. I just got a 60,000 mile engine delivered to my driveway for $830, I'd imagine you could find a yard willing to palletize the parts you need and ship them out for $500 or so.

There's at least one u-pull-it parts place in Rapid City too.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I've yet to get it to a body place to have it checked out and my garage space is utilized so I haven't taken it apart myself. Anyone have any ideas what would be a reasonable price to expect for this car with a very good motor/transmission, etc?

theman53

TDI
01 jetta, 86 IDI TD
The value is in the eye of the beer holder. If it were mine and someone offered me 800 cash or more I would take it...some would want double that and no one would pay more than double that. If they did I have some ocean front property near flagstaff I need to get rid of, send them my way.

If I was a buyer no way would I want to sink more than 1,000 usd for it. I would tell you to take your DVD player out and give it to me for 700...or at least try, but I am not anywhere near you so you don't have to worry.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Sounds about right. Unfortunately, there's not much premium for the condition the engine is in and especially in the crunched format. I'd likely get significantly more parting it...but I don't need the money bad enough to put myself through that.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it down to a body shop and fully understanding the cars value versus worth, the body shop guy said he'd do his best to piece together cheap parts and cut corners where he could. After several hours of work he called back and said and it's more than he anticipated - about $2500 in labor $1000 in parts.

I guess this is still for sale.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Bought another TDI - so have 2 pickups, 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, and 2 ATVs for 3 stall garage. Somebody come get this. I could also deliver a reasonable distance for my cost, too.

This thing started and perfectly. It's been maintained well with T6. Trusted guru went completely through this 50k miles and it's been almost troublefree since. I documentation of timing belt (and other components), injection pump reseal, all vacuum houses replaced, all brakes, lower control arms, t-stat, flange, downpipe, etc. I've tracked the mileage since that refurbish and have an overall average of 43 with much if that being 75-80 mph interstate driving. Tires have 15k on them. Heated leather interior is in relatively nice condition. Everything works on it.

I know I could make a lot more parting it but I'm finishing my basement and don't have the time our garage space.

$1200

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd also do full or partial trades for numerous things...trailers, mkv stereo head unit, vag com cable...name it.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Zimmerman/ akebono brakes, complete intake clean, New strut mounts, new ball joints when majority of work done. Front brakes have about 15k on them.

I have complete records but posting things as I think of them.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
its a super clean interior, I would give a 1500 allowance on trade in.

Its being it back to life lol , Merry Christmas.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
its a super clean interior, I would give a 1500 allowance on trade in.

Its being it back to life lol , Merry Christmas.
I'm keeping my eyes on your cars.

Also just remembered it has a year old oem VW battery from VW...of course.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
Ill give a 1500 cash trade in credit after i fix it there, is only so much any 99.5 is worth.

Paint and body work isnt cheap. But ill save her lol!

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
If you were closer to me, I would offer you $800 for it. You need to get that broken fuel line by your injection pump hooked back up of sealed off on both ends before you get dirt and water in there!

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
If you were closer to me, I would offer you $800 for it. You need to get that broken fuel line by your injection pump hooked back up of sealed off on both ends before you get dirt and water in there!
Thanks....actually did the fuel line seal already.

I was offered a little more than $800 and refused. Thanks.

busman1978

TDI
1999 Mk4 Jetta
My 99.5 impacted a deer similarly in 2004 when my friend owned it. The damage looked similar. He was able to repair the car using new body panels and core support only. The radiator and ac components were also still good. The car is still on the road today with 480K on the clock. Take a little while to check everything over. You may be pleasantly surprised.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
My 99.5 impacted a deer similarly in 2004 when my friend owned it. The damage looked similar. He was able to repair the car using new body panels and core support only. The radiator and ac components were also still good. The car is still on the road today with 480K on the clock. Take a little while to check everything over. You may be pleasantly surprised.
I think you're right. I took it to a body shop and although he said it was a conservative estimate as not to cost more than he stated, it would be up to $3500. I suspect I could do a lot of the work for far less but time is more important than $ considering many other things I have going on. I already bought a replacement, too.