1987 TDi Vanagon 5spd for sale

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
Saw van. Amazing. EXACTLY what i want. GLWS.
What's GLWS mean? :)

So, the link is working now? It AWAYS worked for me bc I was signed into My eBay; but others couldn't see it.

Glad you like it. I love it. Built it exactly the way I wanted ! Simple, tough, effective, and Spartan. I am really having a hard time emotionally, selling it, but miss my life back in Japan.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
GLWS means "Good luck with Sale".

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Great looking van. It sounds like it's been put together properly as far as the mechanical stuff goes. I like the gear ratio and the Stage 3 upgrade for power. It looks like someone put a lot of work into this.

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
For a Vanagon? Lol will drive circles aroun any stock petrol Vanagon! More torque than a Subaru conversion. 280ft/lbs. Well mannered but plenty of modern power. I avg 35-38mpg.

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
As the auction end looms near, I find myself in a panic to let go of my Van! How is it these things become more loved than most ex girlfriends?

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
Lol I started the auction at my minimum price.....nobody bids on that until the last minute, so as not to drive up the price. Nothing is certain, but that's usually how it works.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
15 K... it's old enough, why not ship it back to japan? just curious what the restriction was on shipping it over?

Good luck... it's about 10K out of my price range.

Dan

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
well, owning a vehicle in japan is more costly and more trouble than its worth. trains go everywhere. and you cant camp anywhere. so what's the point of a campervan? yearly fees are exorbitant, road tolls even more so, there is nowhere to park (that isn't even MORE costly), and as I said, nowhere that will let you just road-trip-camp anyway.

Van would take more than $30K to build even close in the USA. Cost me in the high $20's in the UK, because it's a routine swap there, unlike here, and way more diesel parts available.

I'm losing my shirt at $15k.

No Vanagon costing $5K is worth driving. You'll spend to get it right anyway.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
... hmm my experience in japan has been different as far as camping goes... vehicle owner ship as well... I wasn't saying your price was out of line, just that my limit is 10K lower than your price. not that you should lower your price. I've been in japan for over 10 years now, which is why i was asking why not bring it here... your nightmare scenario sounds mostly like a big city problem ... go rural.

good luck with your adventures!

Dan

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
dan, lol, yeah its a rural vs urban thing we are disagreeing on here. i lived in tokyo 3 years, kofu 1 year before that. I like living in tokyo, and climbing the kita and minami alps. i cant afford shaken on a vehicle in tokyo, nor the tolls for the roads out, nor the parking to keep it! i could take the luxury train more cheaply! you are down in okinawa? different story i imagine. camping down around kyushu and okinawa is much better than the tokyo-osaka corridor.

i took no offense at your price discussion.......just clearing that up :)

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I like it - beat interior for that kind of $$$ but it is neat.

I'd buy it for $5k as well - easily !!

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
That's funny, One would imagine that on a form dedicated to the VW TDi engine, you would find more appreciation for the $20k++ put in to the motor swap,euro spec transmission, mods, upgrades, and mechanical work in this van, instead of favoring particle board cabinets, outdated appliances, Walmart curtains, and moldy pop tops. 5 grand wouldn't buy the motor alone.

I digress. As I said, the interior can be easily and cheaply built by the buyer to suit his taste.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
People buying TDIs here are getting more and more like CL. Wana lowball the f@@k outa ya. But then again this is America.

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
GreenLantern, yes, you wouldn't believe the low ball crap I've received. Americans seem to appreciate appearance highly, yet either dont understand, or dont care, about real mechanical functionality. They'd rather put a Subaru engine in a German bus rather than the best diesel made.....A VW TDi, that bolts right up, for TWICE the fuel efficiency and TWICE the power!

Pretty amazing. Europeans, totally different story. To them, getting 35mpg and 280ft/lbs in cool old VW van is something.

Check out this email I got from some nutjob girl:

"Please do reach out and get in touch if you miraculously do not find the use of the van any longer. I would so lovingly appreciate the cosmic gift !!! Aloha "

She was not from Hawaii.

Wow.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
FYI:

Some things going against your sale (very nice van, BTW!!)

1. Diesel is out of favor in the U.S. at the moment.

2. Gasoline is cheap - 10 year low price.

3. You have a specialty vehicle - not too many potential buyers.

4. It's winter and the holidays. People are broke, income taxes are facing many in April.

5. TDI Club folks are generally cheapskates!

Beaulanier

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 TDi 1Z T3 Bus
FYI:
Some things going against your sale (very nice van, BTW!!)
1. Diesel is out of favor in the U.S. at the moment.
2. Gasoline is cheap - 10 year low price.
3. You have a specialty vehicle - not too many potential buyers.
4. It's winter and the holidays. People are broke, income taxes are facing many in April.
5. TDI Club folks are generally cheapskates!

Yes. All problems. Thanks for the compliment on the Van though :)