Broken Timing Belt Damage

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
I have seen many posts here about the major engine damage done when a timing belt breaks. Other than bent valves, what else is damaged? I would like to hear what peoples actual experiances have been.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
keep searching. You'll find all the evidence you want/need including graphic fotos.

In some cases the damage is minor, in others the engine is essentially wiped out.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Keep searching and you will learn that most of the damage was done by dealers doing timing belts. Always go to a TDIClub approved belt changer.

bailey1

TDI
2000 GLS Silver
I am currently in the middle of fixing a timing belt problem. Have not removed the belt completely yet, and I have not determined the root cause of the damage yet. But the dealer was involved in making the damage severe due to their incompetence and ignorance.

My lifters were damaged (shattered) and the cam lobes were damaged. Doing the repairs myself including purchasing a new head are costing about $2K

please follow the earlier advice and find a TDIclub recommended person to service the timing belt or do it yourself. I will be doing all my own future maintainence.