Excessive vibration after installing FrostHeater

RogueB4

TDI
'96 B4V Passat Wagon
Background

This past weekend I installed the FrostHeater in my B4 wagon among other things. Installation of the heater was about as time consuming and difficult as I thought it would be based on threads I've read on this forum, but I eventually got it in and I'm very pleased with how it's been working. Here is where my inexperience may have played a role in current conditions. Along with the heater install I also replaced the oil cooler bracket flange (not the o-ring), and changed the oil. Well by hour 7 of being under the car (November in Montana) I was in a hurry to get things wrapped up and go inside. I inadvertently installed the oil cooler backwards (or upside down) however you want to look at it, I put the damn thing in wrong. I topped off coolant and oil and turned her over to test out my handy-work. Had it running for about 30 seconds and looked under to check things out, to my amazement it had dumped about a half quart of oil. Quickly shut her down and proceeded to curse, kick, throw things, then cry :(. I knew what it was immediately b/c for some reason when I installed the oil cooler back on it didn't look quite right, but I was confident I couldn't have been such an idiot...yes, indeed that was the problem. Dug back in and switched oil cooler to correct orientation, replaced oil filter, topped off coolant and oil and tried again. All was well and it all was done in record time of 12 hours on a cold Sunday. Heater has been working fine but I've noticed some new symptoms in the last few days.

Symptoms

• Excessive vibration while in neutral. Idle is consistent at about 900 rpm, but I feel more shuttering in the vehicle while in neutral after installation of the heater.

• Also notice that I hear the "whine' to shift gears at a lower RPM now. For instance my shift point use to be around 3K rpm, that is where the I would notice the certain pitch of the whinning that indicated me to up-shift (not and exact science I know) but most of you know what I'm referring to. Well, now it seems that the 'pitch' I would hear at 3k rpm happens around 2500 rpm and the vehicle seems overly exerted by the 3k rpm mark.
Sidenote** I may have too much motor oil in there currently. I've checked it cold and 3-5 mins. after running it and the level indicates above the hash marks and just below the bend in the dipstick.

Questions

1. Has anyone else who's installed the FrostHeater noticed excessive vibration post-install?
  2. Would having installed the oil cooler backwards and running the engine briefly have adverse effects that would present themselves days later and possible cause the heavy vibrations I've noticed?

Thanks in advance!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Any chance you got some oil down into the bell housing onto the clutch?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I've read that the heater is mounted to the lower rad support? Maybe it's vibrating, the way it's bolted on?

I'd try having a helper hold/support the heater, while you're in the seat and the car is running.

I doubt what happened with the oil cooler has anything to do with this.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Your oil level is fine, don't worry about it. So long as it's at or below the bend, you're good.

I also doubt the oil cooler affected the car or is the cause of the vibrations.

RogueB4

TDI
'96 B4V Passat Wagon
Thank you all for responding. It's good to hear the oil cooler fiasco is not likely the root cause of the my issues.

ToddA1 I also thought the vibration could be caused from where it sits on the cross-member contributing to some kind of imbalance on the engine.

tdijarhead I don't think I got any oil in the bell housing fromo this job, but I did notice quite a bit of oil leaking from in between the oil pan and the bell housing, though I think it's the oil pan gasket..