MN Chat Thread

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
thinking about driving around w/o a plate at all and just paying the fine! anyone know how much that will cost me?

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
indigoTDI said:
thinking about driving around w/o a plate at all and just paying the fine! anyone know how much that will cost me?
You could probably get collector plates for that car, or if you can find a plate with a 1967 date on it, you'll likely be able to use that.

In any event, i see more than a few cars with only a rear Minnesota plate....

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Old Navy Run

If anyone is interested I am planning on driving down to Old Navy's GTG this October 14th. Caravan down if interested or I could take a co-pilot.

Strong chance there will be some Rocketchip installs. Plenty of TDI BSing I hear is the order of the day.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Spotted an A5 in the parking lot at the Woodbury Davanni's. License TKU-741. Anyone know who this is? Eich plate frame if it helps.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Help with code problem

Have been having an intermittent problem. Code that comes and goes is 17964 - Charge Pressure Control Negative Deviation P1556-35-10---intermittent. Intake was cleaned at last years fest, but not the intercooler. I have replaced the MAF, N75, and all the vacuum hoses. The actuator on the turbo does not appear to be seized. Anyone local have time to give it a try? Current schedule has me available Sunday through Tuesday.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
1st blush, I've read about the control rod for the Variable Vane Turbo seizing up, perhaps you need to work it through it's range of motion. Just remember I'm talking as a guy who reads stuff and has only installed a Fueling box. That and battled Viking Robs bug and lived to tell about it.

Sam

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i'm down in the western burbs for a couple weeks house-sitting for my parents. have vag-com (but no windows laptop). i forgot my stinkin pd134 oil cooler though which i was going to put in.. but have other things to fiddle with :) fm100 fuel filter fittings, skid plate put back on, and some wiring.... i posted my best mpg thread so far, and trying again for somewhat similar results this tank http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149250

KomarekTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD: 2003 Golf GLS TDI - Black
canast said:
Have been having an intermittent problem. Code that comes and goes is 17964 - Charge Pressure Control Negative Deviation P1556-35-10---intermittent. Intake was cleaned at last years fest, but not the intercooler. I have replaced the MAF, N75, and all the vacuum hoses. The actuator on the turbo does not appear to be seized. Anyone local have time to give it a try? Current schedule has me available Sunday through Tuesday.
Since you replaced your MAF, N75, and all of the vacuum hoses - I wouldn't rule them out yet. Double check all of your vacuum line connections for leaks, and compare them against a manual to make sure they are plumbed correctly.

How about your snow screen? Clogged?

Do you hear a hissing noise? All connections between turbo, intercooler, and engine are secure, no leaks?

How about the manifold pressure sensor? If you have VAG-COM (which it sounds like you do) use that to log the signal from the manifold pressure sensor to look for intermittent transients that could be throwing that code.

Most of the posts on here I've read seem to end in a replaced vacuum line, one was a check valve on the brake booster.

If you need a hand diagnosing the problem and feel like taking a drive out to Taylors Falls, send me a PM and we could probably set something up for this weekend sometime.

Tony

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
MN State Fair

There is a large alternative fuels exhibit in the 'Eco Experience' building on Machinery Hill at the State Fair. A Jetta TDI is on display with a Greasecar conversion and reps describing the setup. It is an interesting installation if you've never seen one.

There is also info on the new local biodiesel distributor, a booth touting switchgrass, and displays of electric and hybrid vehicles built by educational institutions.

Scott Price

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG Package 0
63Ragtop said:
There is a large alternative fuels exhibit in the 'Eco Experience' building on Machinery Hill at the State Fair. A Jetta TDI is on display with a Greasecar conversion and reps describing the setup. It is an interesting installation if you've never seen one.

There is also info on the new local biodiesel distributor, a booth touting switchgrass, and displays of electric and hybrid vehicles built by educational institutions.
How long is this going on?

Scott =)

GGC

TDI
2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, Blue Lagoon
You're not required to have a front plate on a classic car in MN. The DMV gave me the option for one or two plates on my 1970 Dodge. Naturally, I chose the single plate option.

-- Mike

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf 4-Door in Shark Blue
TDI @ the State Fair - See ya there!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be going Saturday/Sunday & I was wondering about seeing something like this there. :D :cool:

63Ragtop said:

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
hi all - i'm going out east for work and other stuff around sept 10th and coming back around the 24th. i'm going to be picking up a bunch of stuff at tdiparts.com, and i'll have room left in my car for more stuff - was wondering if anyone was interested in anything from tdiparts? oil, filters, parts/upgrades, whatnot... though i'm usually up in bemidji, i can leave anything at my parents in long lake (20 mins west of the cities) for pickup. perhaps we could get a deal on price if the order is big enough and of course save on shipping.... PM me and let me know :)

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Is that a "green audit' sticker on your window? Care to elaborate on your signature claim?

/not wanting political fest just info

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
The window cling is "Dave Berger for State Auditor Green Party".
Well, The green party loves alternative fuels & more mpg. There are some green party members that help run the Grease Car exhibit at the State Fair.
Dave is my uncle.

Hey, is the GTG in MO next month going to be my best chance of getting chipped or do you think Jeff will come closer to MN in the next year or so... I'm not in a real big hurry, but I don't want to miss my chance. Its an 808 mile ride for me.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
nobody needing anything from tdiparts? send me a pm if you want... i'll be picking up my big order a week from this saturday.... PM if you're interested...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Silver A4 Tdi spotted during 5 o'clock rush hour today (65 and 694). Had a license plate frame and a "Misleader" sticker (which I rather enjoyed as I have never seen one before). Tried to wave but don't think you saw me.
Nick

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
burpod said:
hi all - i'm going out east for work and other stuff around sept 10th and coming back around the 24th. i'm going to be picking up a bunch of stuff at tdiparts.com, and i'll have room left in my car for more stuff - was wondering if anyone was interested in anything from tdiparts? oil, filters, parts/upgrades, whatnot... though i'm usually up in bemidji, i can leave anything at my parents in long lake (20 mins west of the cities) for pickup. perhaps we could get a deal on price if the order is big enough and of course save on shipping.... PM me and let me know :)
Will you be able to check your mail or PM while you are on the road? I have a few things i like to order but I haven't checked their site yet and check what I need. I can do that next week if you have access to mail or whatever arrangements you have with tdiparts.com. His name is Peter, I beleive.

Also I would like to offer my place for parts, you can dump them at my garage and everyone can pick them up whenever they can instead of waiting for him to be at his parents.

Exactly what day are you going to pick up the parts from TDIparts.com? I was thinking that I could order it on line and have him not ship it but give them to you. That way it is already paid for.

Well, I am outta here for the weekend. Going to the Packers season opener game!

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Oh by the way, burpod, to answer your question somewhere I saw your post about if I installed the skid plate. It is installed and I have having a guy in WI making a minor adjustment to close the gap in the front. I will take pictures, perhaps pass them on to dieselgeek as the Beetles are different.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
deafbug - i will be leaving monday for the east, will be online all week when i arrive hopefully tuesday, and probably won't pick up the parts until the weekend at the earliest (a week from now). coming home around the 25th. just send me a PM before next weekend if you want anything - and that goes for anyone who wants anything.
woohooo.. i'm getting the .658 gear. deafbug - any experience in this? or anyone else in the area have experience with installing gears? i'm probably going to get mrchill to do it while i watch/learn, but if anyone around the metro area has any expertise in this area, it might be a safer idea to have this done *after* the long trek back just in case anything weird goes wrong.

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
geared up

Burpod, you do know about the cruise control problems with newer cars and the long gears right?

Sam

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
yeah - i'm not concerned about losing CC. i don't usually use it enough for it to bother me, even on the highway... though hopefully jeff will have an ECU fix for it at some point.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well, i am thinking now of attempting the .658 5th gear install myself. does anyone have the appropriate gear pullers i could borrow or anyone who would want to help out/watch?

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
Took a trip up to Forrest Lake and spotted no TDIs but I did see two MB diesels. One at least 20 years old, the other only 6 at most.

So how was that game Deafbug? Ouch. Hope they wern't razzing you too much.

paix247

Veteran Member
TDI
I was on the road a lot the past week but I haven't seen many TDIs. I did happen to catch one yesterday. Dark blue Golf & the folks went in to a Noodles & Co. near Lake Calhoun. Anyone here?

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
TDI'watcher said:
So how was that game Deafbug? Ouch. Hope they wern't razzing you too much.
I am not sure if I should go back to the team that I was rooting for and a big fan of 20+ years ago. I was not really a serious Packer fan until I started college. I have been watching just about every Packer game growing up but I still watched all the Bears games when possible. It might be time for me to start saying "Go da Bears"

It was great sitting the stands, there was 4 Bears fans behind me and we were talking and chatting during the "commericals" at the game.

Favre to me is like Dan Marino. After Dan had his prime, he was just playing regardless. Favre is doing the same thing, he is playing for the love of the game but win or lose has no effect on him. With two interceptions, he is on his pace to break the 29 last years. :p