Key Fob only works when I'm close

The_Stealth

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2003 & Jetta TDI 2006
Hi Everybody,

I have had the problem where my key fob only locks/unlocks my car when I am very close (< 10ft). I have replaced the battery many times and yet still have the same problem. Is there anything else I could check to get better range?

jwal278

TDI
04 jetta wagon GLS
there are write ups that I have seen that you can extend the length of the receiver antenna. I believe it is somewhere near the drivers door floor area. I bet if you do a quick search for remote range extension or something along those lines you will find all you need. Good luck. But IIRC the only downfall is if you make it too long you will change the frequency in wich the antenna receives the signal and it wont work correctly. I have heard of 20-30 meters of range after a successful extension.

EDIT: after a 2 second search on google i found this. http://forums.generationdub.com/showthread.php?t=33648&page=1 I am sure there are better ones out there but here you go.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
put the metal part on your chin when you hit the button. This will double your range..

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Put the fob in your mouth and bite down on the button of your choice. Stick your arms up and wave them around, they will then act as antennae. A little better if you stand on one foot.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. My 2001 is about 30', and batt is original from 11yrs ago.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It doesn't matter what you do with the antenna wire, mines coiled up under the dash and still works from a good distance, you probably need a new remote. There's a part number on it you can use to get a new one off ebay then code it in.

McDillon86

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDi, 2012 VW Jetta TDi w/premium sound
mines like this also and is brand new only had the remote about 2 months. bought mine from the dealer

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
all three of my cars have short range remotes

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder what ccm's you guys have in your cars, I'm using a 1J0 959 799 B myself and have a good range.

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Try this 1st...
I too had only a 10ft range. Today I was just about to start cutting but I decided to see what my effective range truely was to compare. I recconected the plug and started testing while backing away. All of a sudden 10ft went to 170ft when I finally back into a fence. If it doesnt work here is a site i found with pics. But maybe a bad connection is the only prob.
http://billswebspace.com/ExtendingMKIVKeyFobAntennaRange.htm

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds more likely than having to extend the antenna, I mean it worked fine with that length of antenna when the car was new so something's gone wrong if it doesn't work the same anymore.

mpow3r

TDI
Golf TDI 90bhp
Apologies for raising an old thread but my fob used to work fine from about 10 ft, but from the last few days i have to put it right up to the drivers window for it to work and even then it takes a few clicks?? I replaced the battery for a new Duracell one this morning but no change so it can't be the battery.

I have a 2000 model golf tdi (90bhp, ALH I believe) if that matters. Also I noticed that when I press the open/close on the fob the red LED on it flashes, this is the same with new battery. Are they meant to flash or stay on for the duration you keep your finger on the button? Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks in advance

TalonGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Auto
Apologies for raising an old thread but my fob used to work fine from about 10 ft, but from the last few days i have to put it right up to the drivers window for it to work and even then it takes a few clicks?? I replaced the battery for a new Duracell one this morning but no change so it can't be the battery.

I have a 2000 model golf tdi (90bhp, ALH I believe) if that matters. Also I noticed that when I press the open/close on the fob the red LED on it flashes, this is the same with new battery. Are they meant to flash or stay on for the duration you keep your finger on the button? Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks in advance
Bump. Mind does the same thing. Already change battery. The other FOB is fine.

???

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've never gotten more than around 10ft out of mine, even when the car was brand new and w/both fobs. I believe the manual states that's the range to be expected. The chin trick works, funny enough. I've often thought I would do the antenna extension trick just because.

I have an aftermarket alarm/remote entry/remote start unit in my '89 S10 Blazer and it works from over a block away. Nice for pre-starting on cold days while still in the house or at work. I figure the short range on our VW's is partially for practical reasons, part security. Stray RF could unlock the car if your receiver was radio-telescope caliber. That's partially why they re-lock if the door isn't opened after 30 secs.

TalonGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Auto
10ft, i'd be happy with. The one FOB now only works when I am right next to the door. Practically touching the glass.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Bump. Mind does the same thing. Already change battery. The other FOB is fine.
???
10ft, i'd be happy with. The one FOB now only works when I am right next to the door. Practically touching the glass.
Definitely sounds like the one fob is going wonky on you. Trying to diagnose what the problem with it is sketchy. If you've never had it completely apart, it may be a good idea to disassemble, remove the pc board and clean it up anyways. I'd spray is down liberally w/some electronics (or even MAF) cleaner. CRC makes some good products. They do get full of junk, pocket fuzz, etc. No guarantees but worth a try.

TalonGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Auto
I've had it apart lots. No antenna in there so can't figure out why range would be affected. I will try the electronic cleaner, got some in the cabinet.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
My old stuff still works fine to about 25'.
Other than cleaning it up and renewing the battery, it must be an issue with the receiver end. Anyone know where that stuff is?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I just read something last night. It described how to find the reciever antenna and splicing an additonal piece of wire to the antenna wire. Sorry.........don't remember where I was reading. The antenna wire is under the dash at the steering wheel. Its a copper wire with clear coating.

TalonGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Auto
My old stuff still works fine to about 25'.
Other than cleaning it up and renewing the battery, it must be an issue with the receiver end. Anyone know where that stuff is?
In my case, it wouldn't be the receiver (car) side because the other fob is working just fine. Unless the bad fob had always worked in a shorter range and now that the receiver side has gone bad, both fob ranges have decreased but not enough on the good fob for me to notice (I don't normally try to press from far away). I guess I could do a range test with the good fob, then look at doing the range extension mod if all else fails.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Just extending the antenna can make it worse folks. You need to match the antenna to the frequency.

IIRC the remotes operate on 434Mhz or 315Mhz. Depending on the year.

So if you're on the 315Mhz remote you'll need an antenna that is around: 1.5' for half wavelength or about 9" for quarter.

If you're on the 434Mhz remote you're looking at about: 1' or 5".

Again, don't just go extending the antenna.

RMoss

TDI
PD Jetta, '04, red
Just extending the antenna can make it worse folks. You need to match the antenna to the frequency.

IIRC the remotes operate on 434Mhz or 315Mhz. Depending on the year.

So if you're on the 315Mhz remote you'll need an antenna that is around: 1.5' for half wavelength or about 9" for quarter.

If you're on the 434Mhz remote you're looking at about: 1' or 5".

Again, don't just go extending the antenna.
I extended the antenna today following the instructions on http://www.billswebspace.com/ExtendingMKIVKeyFobAntennaRange.htm

I've had the car since new and it never worked beyond about 10-20 feet, regardless of which key fob I used or how fresh the battery in the fob was at the time. Extending the antenna--using a 6' length of 14-gauge wire--has more than doubled my range. Since it's an older 315Mhz remote, wouldn't 6' be two wavelengths?