EXTRA EXTRA Read all about it!!Tming belt changes $275.00 in the Chicago area!!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I just spoke to my dealer and convinced them that $275.00 was a fair price to charge for the timing belt on a TDI!!! I told them if he could not match the price of the one in Ohio I would take my timing belt business there!!!

Anyway I spoke with Ken in service (fellow diesel owner) and we worked out all the numbers, and guess what $275.00 is a fair price.

What this means is you will get a new timing belt, tensioner and the labor to replace the belt. The factory says that 170 time units are required for the change so Based on that We agreed that 209 units is a bit more fair and this nails the price at $275.00 without tax (Indiana is 5%) of course. Tell him Pete told you.

The dealer is:

Team Volkswagen Merrillville Indiana Formerly MVP
(219) 947-1581
Speak with Ken in Service
The lead diesel Mechanic is Guy and he does all the diesel services (really good).

Also if you want all the belts changed it's $30.00 without any increase in labor since they are off anyway.

We worked out the price for the A3 the A4 we agreed will probably cost a few more dollars because of the engine mount ordeal.

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited August 11, 2000).]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
That's the idea my friend!!

Based on my conversations with both of these dealer's this is a very fair price. It is actually giving them about another $30.00 over the warranty rate. I don't have a problem with any dealer making some money but when I haer about some of our poor member's paying $400.00+ it makes me sick.

Besides this way the rest of the folks here will know what the price should be and if the dealer is gouging them.

DB

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
Price War.... now yer talking!!!

As a professional Estimator, hammer on those "work units". Why should one place take more units than any other?

Once you have the units number (200+/-), and you know the parts markup (yes they do mark up parts 20% or more), then go for it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The dealer said they would just discount the shop rate to make the deal.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
They just got a new service manager and want to charge 8 hours labor! cost for an A4 $670.00!!! (and that only includes a timing belt and tensioner). I told him flat out he can stick it. It's funny I asked him why he would charge so much and that this would keep people from coming in and having them done, his reply, "so".

I give up, my suggestion steer clear!

If you need a belt done and don't want to do it yourself on the A4, go to FrankZ imports in Dayton Ohio at least they understand how to take care of a customer!

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited November 29, 2000).]

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
DB: Too bad. I had high hopes for that dealership. It's amazing what can happen sometimes when one key person leaves.

Well, I was due in just a few hundred miles to go back for my 10K service. I don't think I want to chance it now.

Anthony

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Off the Fence I know this great little shop that does timing belts, Mine

I am seriously considering starting a little business on the side. I wouldn't dream of charging anywhere near what the dealer charges.

I figure $150.00 (including a timing belt) for an A3 and $225 (Including the belt, it's a bit more expensive than the A3's) for an A4.

And I would include free timing adjustment's over the life of the belt (40K or 60K) depending on the model. I figure 2hours to do the A3 including setting and adjusting the timng and 3 hours for the A4.

What do you think?

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited November 30, 2000).]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
I can also get an oil dump and do oil changes (choose your poison - Delvac 1 or Amsoil) and bypass filter installations. Heck Maybe I can talk Garrett into coming down and while you wait for your timing belt we can Upsolute you!

DB

Barefoot

Veteran Member
Pete your ..."on the side" wouldn't also include a OJT...Hands ON...TB-101...your One Stop Shop. I would seriously consider the drive and time if I knew I could come away with the knowledge and confidence that my future TB changes could be preformed by myself. I think the the course cost could also include the necessary Tools to do the job right. I am ready to mail you a deposit! My wifes 99NB has 35K and the thought of taking time off to take it down to Salt Lake is not reassuring. I am serious. And you?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
I'll tell you what I could put together a tools package along with the required parts and do the change while you watch. Then the next time you can do it yourself with your own new set of tools! That is of course if you want to invest in $300 worth of special tools for your car.

I have not done a Beetle yet but from looking in the hood that would probably be a bit more than an A4 Jetta (due to the space constraints).

You should call Uwe Ross and get his Vag-Com cable. This is required equipment for any timing belt change. If you want to drive out my way I am always up for the job! OJT heck I'll talk you through it and you can do the first belt change! Seriously.

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited November 30, 2000).]

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Hey Barefoot -

My Golf is at 37k miles now, and I'll be doing the TB change soon. We could do a belt change party at a convenient location. Perhaps Pugs, mickey, Bucky, Sprockets, or others would come join in.

Salt Lake is a LOT closer than Indiana!!
------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

[This message has been edited by Powder Hound (edited December 01, 2000).]

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
DB: He-he-he, so you got Brian and his timing belt all squared away, hmm? Sorry I had to eventually take off, but it was really cool meeting you guys. Secret Squirrel, too.

Tip to anyone considering attenting a GTG: do it. You'll meet nice people and you'll learn a thing or two or more.

At 9,300 I'm not due for a belt any time soon, but man, what a great offer. You SHOULD do something on the side. We'd beat a path to your door.

I don't know whether you'd consider this too small potatoes but there are several things I'd like an experienced TDI owner like you to help me with:

Snow screen; PCV capping; oil/filter changes; pan heater alignment (I've apparently got the dreaded air gap and the thing now rattles a bit at idle--but wait, I'm going back to Team VW at 10K and they put the heater on, so I'll get them to fix it, hopefully) as well as some of the many other unique aspects of the TDI.

What do you think? I can come over virtually any Saturday.

Anthony

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Drop me an email. I'll have another GTG when I do my belt sometime after the 14th. We can take care of your car then.

Brian's car turned out to be something so stupidly simple I laugh! I'll tell you about when you come over.

I'll see somwhere around the 14th!

DB

alandspeed

TB change on the 16th? Could make a day of it. Meet you and some other members and learn something about TURBONIUM DIESEL> What will the ad guys say about that?

Please Email your directions and anything special we need to bring.

Went through Chicago on the way home with the car and saw 16 TDIs in traffic. No red ones though.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The 16th looks good to me.

DB

[This message has been edited by Drivbiwire (edited December 02, 2000).]

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
DB:

Try as I might, I don't think I'm going to be able to make it 12/16. That's getting too close to Christmas and I just KNOW things are going to get real tight time-wise.

Wondering if maybe we could hang sometime in January?

I'll let you know what happens at Team. I'm calling them to schedule my 10K tomorrow.

Anthony

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Prod them to give you a price on a timing belt
! and then lay in to them!

Just let me know when you want to do the work.

DB