BMW diesel reliability?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Seems that BMW & reliable don't do together. At least that's what I can gather from owners.

The way I see it however is they are more needy then a Honda and require prompt service on the expected mileage intervals. I'm fine with that since I've been doing just that with my vw tdi and haven't had any problems yet. *knock on wood*.

But let me get to the thread's title. How reliable are the bmw diesels?

I can recall issues in the UK with the 2.0L 4 cylinder bmw where the timing chain tensioner would fail causing catastrophic engine failure. The chain is between the engine and transmission so it's not a easy job to fix.

Here's a YouTube video of the n47 engine issue I recall
https://youtu.be/HQpQIi7gI_U

That issue I assume has been fixed by bmw since that engine was used in the older generation bmws.

So I'd be really curious to hear from actual owners of these cars. (Both 4 & 6 cylinder)
Any major problems you encounter?
Any 2nd hand things that you've seen from other bmw owners?
Any common issues to watch out for?

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Seems that BMW & reliable don't do together. At least that's what I can gather from owners.
I think that's the general opinion of many gasser BMW owners. Also note that most BMW owners rely totally on their dealer for all service work. Most BMW owners never lift the hood on their cars. This is unlike many TDI enthusiasts here who choose to DIY due incompetent VW dealer service and also like to work on their cars. Many BMW owners also like to throw perfectly good cars away and get into another new one as soon as the original factory warranty and free maintenance ends. It's not that there is anything wrong with the cars and they are VERY solidly built, probably more so than VW. BMW has a different type of clientele compared VW TDI enthusiasts like us who care about our cars and choose to keep them long term. I am not your typical BMW owner who is into the "new every 2" cycle.

Even though I don't own TDIs anymore, I'm still active here and support TDIclub because this is where it all started for me. I still buy from TDIclub vendors because they also have what I need to maintain my diesel BMWs. Gasser BMWs weren't a consideration at all when I went BMW-shopping.

BMW's 6-cylinder engines are very solid and reliable engines from what I've gathered. OTOH, BMW's V8 gassers have been another story. IIRC, the N63 engine is known to be an oil drinker and there's currently an open campaign to correct some known timing chain issues. Also FWIW all BMWs diesel and gasser engines use a timing chain instead of a belt. I'm not aware of BMW using a timing belt in anything.

The way I see it however is they are more needy then a Honda and require prompt service on the expected mileage intervals. I'm fine with that since I've been doing just that with my vw tdi and haven't had any problems yet. *knock on wood*.
As for BMWs being "high maintenance", I've found that to be not the case so far with mine. I'll let you know in another 200k miles. :cool:

But let me get to the thread's title. How reliable are the bmw diesels?
I'm only at 56k miles on my 2014 535d xDrive sedan and it's still way too early to tell. :cool: Ordered the car on 7/1/2013, took delivery on 8/14/2013, probably among the first batch of them in the country. Zero problems so far other than I had to have the lens on the FLIR night vision camera replaced after taking a rock hit and allowing water entry into the camera system.

I'm only at 100k miles on my 2012 X5 35d and it's also still way to early to tell. I bought the X5 used (CPO deal) at 52k miles in March 2014 and it is serving me very well. From the build date the car was less than 2 years old when I bought it and at 52k miles it suggests the original owner did mostly highway miles like I do. Basically the original owner threw a perfectly good car away as soon as the original factory warranty and free maintenance ended. I've had one hiccup where 3 sensors mysteriously failed at the same time and they were covered under CPO warranty. The only other thing was the right fog lamp had to be replaced due it taking a rock hit and breaking the lens and allowing water entry which then took out the bulb.

So I'd be really curious to hear from actual owners of these cars. (Both 4 & 6 cylinder)
Major problems? Still way too early to tell.

2nd hand things? Intake clogging aka Carbon buildup (CBU) has occurred in 335d and in a few others. Most often it happens due to the same factors that lead to intake clogging in TDIs. Most cases have been due to using the car exclusively for short trips and always babying the car instead of driving it like it was stolen w/cops in hot pursuit.

Common issues? CBU in the 335d and sensor failures in the exhaust system components. A few 335d and X5 35d cars have had urea tank heater failures. The general pattern of known issues is similar to known TDI issues.

My BMW diesels have been serving me well. Now that I'm into BMW diesels it's hard for me to want to go back to another VW. :cool:

Good luck.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the story book post :cool:

Very informative and pretty much all that I thought that was reality from a maintenance perspective.

Having test driven a 335d once I can say they can really put a smile on one's face... I was laughing upon leaving the parking lot at the dealership because of the crazy amount of torque snapping the rear end out... Then the fun police kicked in and stopped that tail from doing a unplanned doughnut on the main road :D:eek::cool:

n1das

TDI
Thanks for the story book post :cool:
Very informative and pretty much all that I thought that was reality from a maintenance perspective.
Having test driven a 335d once I can say they can really put a smile on one's face... I was laughing upon leaving the parking lot at the dealership because of the crazy amount of torque snapping the rear end out... Then the fun police kicked in and stopped that tail from doing a unplanned doughnut on the main road :D:eek::cool:
My X5 35d (E70) has the same engine (M57) as the 335d. The tranny is geared a little lower in the X5 application. I love the TORQUE it has. :cool: While the X5 35d wasn't born to be a drag racer, it doesn't lack power at all. It gets up and goes with all that low end grunt. :cool: I also like the little bit of diesel growl it has when I'm on the power. My 535d is whisper quiet compared to the X5.

Did you make it to TDIfest2015 in Maine and check out BuzzKen's modded 335d?? It's scary fast from what I heard. I saw it there but didn't get to check it out.

Last edited:

allride

TDI
2014 JSW
Before I bought my TDI (December 2014) I test drove a 328d. I really liked it, used low milage.
Decided to go with the VW, for 3 reasons. In no particular order
1) price ( could get 1.5 TDI's for BMW price)
2) MT
3) Was thinking with the enthusiast community here, and enjoying working on cars, I'd be able to keep the VW running longer for less $.
Still thinking I would consider BMW in the future.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
2nd hand things? Intake clogging aka Carbon buildup (CBU) has occurred in 335d and in a few others. Most often it happens due to the same factors that lead to intake clogging in TDIs. Most cases have been due to using the car exclusively for short trips and always babying the car instead of driving it like it was stolen w/cops in hot pursuit.
The carbon buildup thing is a big issue. It seems to affect every 335d requiring a pretty big clean job around 100k miles. Unlike the older TDIs where you could remove and clean the manifold, the carbon buildup in the 335d occurs in the head and requires removal of the head to clean. This makes me nervous because no head job ever seals the gasket as well as the factory does, and you never know of the quality of the mechanic that is doing the work. Plus, there doesn't seem to be a "fix" so this is a service that will have to be done again down the line. :(

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The carbon buildup thing is a big issue. It seems to affect every 335d requiring a pretty big clean job around 100k miles. Unlike the older TDIs where you could remove and clean the manifold, the carbon buildup in the 335d occurs in the head and requires removal of the head to clean. This makes me nervous because no head job ever seals the gasket as well as the factory does, and you never know of the quality of the mechanic that is doing the work. Plus, there doesn't seem to be a "fix" so this is a service that will have to be done again down the line. :(
I can think of one fix. ;)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
My X5 35d (E70) has the same engine (M57) as the 335d. The tranny is geared a little lower in the X5 application. I love the TORQUE it has. :cool: While the X5 35d wasn't born to be a drag racer, it doesn't lack power at all. It gets up and goes with all that low end grunt. :cool: I also like the little bit of diesel growl it has when I'm on the power. My 535d is whisper quiet compared to the X5.

Did you make it to TDIfest2015 in Maine and check out BuzzKen's modded 335d?? It's scary fast from what I heard. I saw it there but didn't get to check it out.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it up to Maine for the meet. I really wanted to, but I simply couldn't due to being very short staffed at work. I'm sure I'll see buzz one of these days.

After owning this tdi I think I'm hooked on that diesel TORQUE :cool:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
118d (N47 engine), built 3/2008 (So very early in the N47 run) here. 200,000 km now.
Upper chain tensioner replaced recently (free, preventive measure)
Zero. The only things that weren't "regular maintenance" so far war a buzzy rear speaker (cable was touching the speaker) and a rattle from the rear view mirror.
Nothing really, the BMWs in my family are pretty reliable.
The most annoying thing about BMWs is the ever-rising price tag.
Oh, and if I had to buy a car in North America, they are automatic-only - wouldn't buy a slushbox personally.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
118d (N47 engine), built 3/2008 (So very early in the N47 run) here. 200,000 km now.
Upper chain tensioner replaced recently (free, preventive measure)

Zero. The only things that weren't "regular maintenance" so far war a buzzy rear speaker (cable was touching the speaker) and a rattle from the rear view mirror.

Nothing really, the BMWs in my family are pretty reliable.

The most annoying thing about BMWs is the ever-rising price tag.
Oh, and if I had to buy a car in North America, they are automatic-only - wouldn't buy a slushbox personally.
Oh wow, you have a 1 hatchback? That's a bimmer that I would have loved to have! Sadly they never came to the US.

That's great to know that the BMWs are reliable. Though I wonder if the reason many here in the US that complain about BMW's reliability issues are because of some of the techs that just don't belong working on them.

I hear you on the manual transmission part. Every car I've owned has had one. That said BMW has one of the very few automatic transmissions I'd consider. They really are that good.

GreekboyD

TDI
None
Leaving the emissions components on these cars for the long term will lead to their failure at some point as well as CBU. I am referring to the 335d models and can't speak for the newer 328/535d models.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Leaving the emissions components on these cars for the long term will lead to their failure at some point as well as CBU. I am referring to the 335d models and can't speak for the newer 328/535d models.
Yeah, a relocation would likely be needed to keep it reliable.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D

There is a 'fix' and head removal is not required at all for cleaning.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
Former 335d owner.

@ 45k miles: SCR issue which was never resolved. Symptom : The system would pump the DEF tank dry.
Parts replaced over a 11 month period: SCR control module, NOX sensors (all), SCR catalyst, DEF tank (twice).

Although I had an extended warranty I sold the car @ about 60k miles simply because the issue kept coming back.

Vehicle was road tripped frequently.

BTW something like 80% of new BMW'S are sold as leases so that's why you see so many for sale at the 3 year mark.

Last edited:

ricardotdi

TDI
06 jetta
BMW reliability

I waited till now to chime in. I sold my TDI and bought a 2014 328d. I love it.

But watch out for contaminated diesel.
That's the reason the BMW service advisor gave me for my engine's failure.

Last month I filled my tank at a usual grungy place (a Gulf branded station) I've gone to many times before, parked car at home for 10 days while traveling, upon my return first time I drove it on the road after half hour the fuel destroyed my fuel system ---heard a popping noise under hood, car lost power, misfired, stumbled, and shut off. (car only had 7,200 miles on it)...so expensive I put it through my insurance as a comprehensive claim (it was not covered by the BMW warranty due to the fuel as the cause for the problem)....car since repaired and all's well now...but hope that never happens to anyone else. There's a whole lot of info about diesel contamination on the web...all the biology, chemistry, and science you can stand.

I never had a fuel contamination problem with the TDI in 190,000 miles.. Now I'm buying my fuel at BP or other name brand...and even that's no guarantee.

So I think my 328d will be reliable....but only time will tell.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
My 328Xd HPFP went out at 17k. Been sitting on a lot for 6-9 months. BMW replaced all for free. Propel checked the fuel and stated fuel is clean

Didn't know you can claim tainted fuel under comprehensive insurance. Good work!

n1das

TDI
Free water in diesel fuel appears to be what's killing HPFPs in CR TDIs and other CR diesels, including BMWs. CR systems are much more susceptible to damage from water ingestion compared to older rotary (VE) pump diesels. The same bad fuel will take out an injector pump in an older VE pump TDI.

Free water in diesel fuel will kill a HPFP in no time at all and will do so much faster than poor lubricity will. Free water in diesel fuel must be avoided at ALL costs! :eek: A single tank of water contaminated fuel is all it takes. :eek: Avoiding water in diesel fuel is particularly important during winter months in cold areas where condensation is more of a problem.

Fuel up ONLY at busy high volume / high turnover stations along major routes to avoid getting water contaminated fuel. Don't worry about the brand of fuel. Go where the big rigs go! The fuel at these stations will always be the freshest fuel in the region and will be the least likely to be contaminated with water from condensation because it's constantly being replaced, often daily. It is not uncommon for a busy truck stop along a major route to do more than $30k worth of diesel business in a single day.

My favorite truck stop where I fuel up at in my area gets an entire tanker truck (10,000 gallons) of diesel emptied there every day just to keep up with diesel demand. The fuel at this station is never more than 2-3 days old.

Bottom line is fuel quality is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING when it comes to ensuring long life and reliable service from the HPFP and the rest of the fuel system.

Good luck.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Free water in diesel fuel appears to be what's killing HPFPs in CR TDIs and other CR diesels, including BMWs. CR systems are much more susceptible to damage from water ingestion compared to older rotary (VE) pump diesels. The same bad fuel will take out an injector pump in an older VE pump TDI.

Free water in diesel fuel will kill a HPFP in no time at all and will do so much faster than poor lubricity will. Free water in diesel fuel must be avoided at ALL costs! :eek: A single tank of water contaminated fuel is all it takes. :eek: Avoiding water in diesel fuel is particularly important during winter months in cold areas where condensation is more of a problem.

Fuel up ONLY at busy high volume / high turnover stations along major routes to avoid getting water contaminated fuel. Don't worry about the brand of fuel. Go where the big rigs go! The fuel at these stations will always be the freshest fuel in the region and will be the least likely to be contaminated with water from condensation because it's constantly being replaced, often daily. It is not uncommon for a busy truck stop along a major route to do more than $30k worth of diesel business in a single day.

My favorite truck stop where I fuel up at in my area gets an entire tanker truck (10,000 gallons) of diesel emptied there every day just to keep up with diesel demand. The fuel at this station is never more than 2-3 days old.

Bottom line is fuel quality is ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING when it comes to ensuring long life and reliable service from the HPFP and the rest of the fuel system.

Good luck.
Interestingly enough, when I had my 2002 TDI and changed fuel filters, there was no water to be found. The filter itself is robust and separates water by design (to be drained by unscrewing the bottom release cap).

Water contamination has other damaging effects more related to how well a station is maintained: http://www.afssociety.org/automotive/93-water-contamination-in-fuel-cause-and-effect.

My former Texaco station I believe lost its brand license due to water contamination (the guy told me) which had nothing to do with volume of fuel (high at the time) so I don't believe high volume stations are any more or less prone to water contamination, which is apparently rare. Stagnant diesel can theoretically have bacterial overgrowth, but I haven't had the pleasure of hearing any instance where this actually happened.

I'd be more interested in the quality of additive at the terminal, overall maintenance of the tanks, and the robustness of filtering. Seems more likely that a brand name fuel would do better with this.

TM

skm32us

TDI
09 335d
i have an 09 335d, after sending it to the dealership for recalls , i haven't had a moments trouble out of it at all what so ever, it currently has just hit the 100,000 mile mark. i do all the maintenance myself, with the required parts ect, as well as all fluid changes and follow the maintenance schedules.

last week however i did have some mods done , such as egr delete, dpf delete, def delete, cat delete, and the 2.8 tune.

the difference is beyond description, fuel mileage has increased 28%, dyno figures are 375 hp., 621ft lbs torque, its not loud, smokey, smelly, but it will slam ur ass in the back seat with a quickness.

the only additives i use and always have is a product called heet, in case water develops in the fuel tank, its allows it to mix and burn through without indecent.

So if any of you are interested in tweaking your tdi , believe me its worth it.

jonratter

TDI
none(BMW diesel)
BMW 325 tds 1998 model

Hello all interested parties,
I have a 1998 E36 saloon with about 150 000 miles on it.
The car is a great drive and apart from service items, tyres, battery, belts and hoses requires little work unless you drive it until it's due to go to the grave.
Below is a list of repairs to my aging vehicle:-
- Coolant pump failed dumping it's plastic impellers in the waterways at about 100 000 miles. Repaired with a steel impeller BMW pump.
- Diesel lift pump in tank worked erratically from about 80 000 miles. I initially just ignored it by never letting fuel go below 1/4 tank but replaced
it with a Chinese look alike recently and so far it's still working after a year.
- The cam timing chain slipped a cog at about 120 000 miles. The no 2 piston and valves had an unfortunate coming together and I pulled the engine out and replaced the piston and valves after a head shop repaired the head for me. I removed the turbo and the turbo people put in a service kit at the same time. I had the steering rack serviced as well as it's easy with the engine out.
Since then I have replaced the wishbone suspension on both front wheels
as well as the front shocks and the rear shock mounts.
The fuel consumption has deteriorated and I will have to have the injectors
refurbed and the injector pump re-calibrated (just waiting for the moola).
I have the dreaded rear end clonk when changing gear and will have to replace the differential mounts soon. The BMW radio is working only when the car is not behind a mountain so I guess the aerial booster circuits are US. The drivers side window winder had to be fixed recently and I managed to use a shower door wheel and so far it's working (i'm too stingy to replace the whole regulator for the sake of one little plastic wheel that gave up after 18 years). I have removed the headlining in preparation for replacement but cannot get the right glue yet (I'm in South Africa and our postal service is on strike so getting glue from the USA is difficult).
The heater has just started leaking and I have bypassed it until I can get sufficient funds to buy and fit the replacement matrix.
If you want to know anything else about these cars send a PM. Oh and the reason I'm on your site is because your guys have a great link for getting the injector pump working after replacement of the lower pump seal on the Veedub diesel cars.
Best wishes John R

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.....so what's the fix?:)
Blocking the EGR will stop CBU. Removing the manifold, which is sonically cleaned or soaked in degreaser and walnut blasting of runners is how CBU is removed. Head removal is not required.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i had an EGR failure on my 12 X5d, but it has since been deleted. no problems there.

my 15 X5d has been trouble free for about 60,000 with a few cross country trips on it.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Reportedly BMW's recent recall has been expanded to include their recent USA diesels.

Btw, has anyone converted a recent diesel BMW in USA to stickshift?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
BTW, my 2008 118d needed a new EGR valve (carbon buildup...) and new glow plugs at 240,000 km / 10 years and a DPF cleaning at 230,000 km.
For the first 9 years, it was trouble free.
I can live with that.