106 MPG & more -- not for sale in America

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
You can not get luxury appointments on those cars - no leather seats, no navigation system, etc. - and some of the patterns in the fabric on some models are a tad "immature", shall we say.

The popular cars in Canada are generally one size class smaller than the popular cars in the USA, and I think a greater percentage of Canadians grasp the concept that "luxury" is different from "big" - i.e. you can have a compact luxury car. It seems that to many Americans, "compact" and "luxury" are mutually exclusive.
Chicken/egg problem, eh?

Americans don't grasp the luxury compact segment because luxury compacts aren't available. Luxury compacts aren't available because Americans don't grasp the segment.

But, there is a lot to be said for utility. If someone can get about the same mileage from a wagon as from a compact and the prices are nearly equivalent... why buy the compact? Given the depressed wages this country has seen for decades, it's not surprising that utility often trumps driving pleasure and other aesthetic concerns.

But, there are certainly other factors, too. Only one state, Colorado, has an obesity rate below 20%, and it is nearly at 20. People are growing taller due to better nutrition and tall heavy people often prefer crossovers and SUVs. My fat tall friend can't even get into a Prius because there's not enough headroom. And, aesthetically, I think it's worse to have to bend down to get into a low car and it's worse to feel really low to the ground when driving on the highway. Get into a 2002 Miata with the soft top and you'll see what I mean about that -- and that car was designed as a luxury item.

In any case, I think solidity is important in any car, whether it's a compact or not. I don't want to feel harsh bumps from potholes and other road imperfections. I also don't want to hear a lot of road noise or engine noise. Comfort and quietness are two aesthetic "luxury" concerns that are important to me. I don't care about hard plastics like Consumer Reports at all, as long as they don't fall off the car or rattle. I also care a lot about fuel efficiency. I find it very disappointing that the most fuel-efficient technology is not available here while we're subsidizing electric toy cars with huge checks.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
So how is the ride and road noise in your 2011 Golf tdi, oxford guy?