Insurance totaled my car... is a 2015 Passat a smart buy?

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
My 2006 Acura TL (31,944 mikes & pristine) got smashed in a parking lot. Insurance declared it a total loss and valued it very fairly. I'm happy/lucky!

Being a long time member that currently owns and maintains of a couple of TDI Jetta's I started looking at 2015 Jetta's as a replacement. While search the web I'm finding the 2015 Passat is readily available. So I'm thinking why not a 2015 Passat.

This is what I know:

• I know nothing about Passat's
  • I know nothing about EA288 diesel engine
  • Don't want a 2014 or<
  • Gotta have the DSG trans (wife won't drive manual)
  • Don't want a Golf or a Sport Wagon
  • I'm okay with Passat's less MPGs
  • Only SE or SEL Passat trim
I know the AHU, ALH and corresponding Jetta chassis. Meaning - how to properly maintain them (including preventative maintenance) and what's likely act up or where failures are likely to occur.

I'm hoping my fellow TDIclub members can bring me up to speed on the Passat and EA288 engine.

Yes, I've spent the past couple of days reading on these 2 subjects here, but it never hurts to ask for direction or help.

Thanks,

John

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'm in the same boat familiarizing myself with them. My wife and I just picked up a '14 SEL, and so far I've seen they aren't really that hard to maintain. Looks like 2014+ had some of the issues sorted out of them though. The 2015 have a non-servicable in Def tank heater.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

I'm in the same boat familiarizing myself with them. My wife and I just picked up a '14 SEL, and so far I've seen they aren't really that hard to maintain. Looks like 2014+ had some of the issues sorted out of them though. The 2015 have a non-servicable in Def tank heater.

Thanks Nero - knew the 2015's require Def and a heater was involved. Didn't know the heater was non-servicable. I'm assuming the heater is thermostatically controlled. If that's the case, shouldn't be a problem since car won't be driven in winter. I'm sure somebody here knows if my assumption is correct or not.

It appears TB and WP replacement on the EA288 are more straight forward compared the ALH.

My understanding is the fuel filter requires Vagcom to reprime pump and engine. I have to upgrade my license with Ross-Tech.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The fuel filter part I don't even know yet, still learning these vehicles. As far as I know hex can units can work up through 2015, but good luck finding one...

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I've never used VCDS to prime fuel system after changing the filter. Just try to keep as much fuel as possible in the housing, and it wouldn't hurt to top it up if you have a can of diesel available. Otherwise, just cycle the ignition a couple times and then crank it up. It may take a bit longer cranking than usual, and/or run a bit rough for 5-10 seconds, but the general consensus here is that it's not harmful to the fuel system nor engine.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
There's no need for VCDS to prime your fuel system...

When you change the filter, wipe out the filter canister, insert new filter, and fill canister to the top with fuel (and/or your favorite fuel system treatment) to the top and install the lid.

A little fuel may squeeze out so be ready with a rag/towel and that should have 99% of the air purged out.

Oh, and believe it or not, the Passat doesnt get any less MPG's than the Golf/Jetta.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
And all 2012 and up passats have def. after dieselgate, vw put extended warranty on the emissions. Any diesel with def has a a possibility for expensive repairs for the def system after warranty, my friend had a chev duramax blow up, a $14000 repair but under warranty.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

There's no need for VCDS to prime your fuel system...

When you change the filter, wipe out the filter canister, insert new filter, and fill canister to the top with fuel (and/or your favorite fuel system treatment) to the top and install the lid.

A little fuel may squeeze out so be ready with a rag/towel and that should have 99% of the air purged out.

Oh, and believe it or not, the Passat doesnt get any less MPG's than the Golf/Jetta.

Good info on fuel filter replacement. Similar MPG's to either the Golf or Jetta would be a good thing.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
JohnTso

Put a deposit on a 2015 Passat SEL Premium. Started a new thread.

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty happy! Net cost to me is 5K to replace my Acura TL with a 2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI. I'm really impressed with this car so far.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
And all 2012 and up passats have def. after dieselgate, vw put extended warranty on the emissions. Any diesel with def has a a possibility for expensive repairs for the def system after warranty, my friend had a chev duramax blow up, a $14000 repair but under warranty.

FYI the DEF system had nothing to do with a duramaxipad "blow up" and a 14K repair bill, I've heard them dropping oil pumps isn't that uncommon.

Thats like saying the DEF system on VWs causes the engines to hydrolock and bend all your valves and rods, (oh wait that was an actual was an issue with EGR on the CJAA and was cured on the NMS with the water to air IC).