Timing belt help - too small??

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Timing belt help - Checking alignment

UPDATE:
Belt is on, see post with pics below to verify alignment.

I am really struggling with getting a new timing belt put on. It is just too tight to get it on any which way I try.
I don't have the lower roller installed, and I feel like the tensioner is out of the way, although I am not quite certain of that. I do not have it pinned currently, so perhaps that is my issue, but I had it pinned two hours ago and still didn't get anywhere. The cam and HPFP bolts are loose and in the middle of their adjustment. I have double checked that my Conti belt is correct for my car. I am following the guide I found by greengeeker and a video I saw from myturbodiesel.com.
Before I light a match and watch it burn, I figured I owed to mt tdi to reach out for a bit of help. Thanks!

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I was forced to take a break and get this kids from school. I got to thinking more about the tensioner and it does need to be pinned in order to open it all the way giving you the most slack. Once I got that and a helper in the garage to hold the tensioner open, I was able to slide the belt on somewhat easily.

Now I am triple checking the alignments of the crank to the cam and HPFP but rotating the engine by hand. Perhaps she'll be running again tonight??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This isn't something you want to get wrong. What's the part number on the belt? Manufacturer?

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
So here is where I am and I would love an expert opinion before I button it up.
With the cam alignment tool installed with clockwise tension, there is where the crank is:

I can get them both in my rolling the engine slightly ccw.

This is the HPFP

And the belt tensioner, which can be up to 5mm past the slot:

Any DIYers out there give me the thumbs up?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks good. The tensioner pointer will probably be at the slot after a few hundred miles.

jjtkcep

TDI
Jetta 2005.5 TDI
I just ran into this issue a few weeks ago, I would set the tensioner and it would creep past the window to the right after running. It did end up settling into the window after a few hundred miles. I would check it after 75-100 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a way to check the tensioner without dismantling the coolant res and fuel filter stuff?

So, again, another nights sleep has me wondering if I am over thinking this. I should be able to get the alignment between the cam and crank dead on.
1. Pin cam.
2. Loosen cam bolts
3. Spin engine CCW an 1/8th turn +/- (as much as slot in cam sprocket allows)
4. Rotate engine CW until crank alignment tool can be installed.
5. Continue rotating CW until crank alignment tool can be pushed into block.
6. Tighten up cam bolts and check tensioner is within spec.
7. Remove all pins and alignment tools.
Viola!

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I used the my turbo diesel instructions on both of the tb's Ive changed, no issues, I think I recall my cam and crank pins going in snug, but in, think the fuel pump was slightly off. you probably just had the cam pulley move slightly when you were tightening up your cam pulley bolts, try tightening them very progressively, to help keep anything from moving and be really vigilant with the counter hold tool. also work all the slack in the belt counter clockwise starting at the crank and ending with the tensioner

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the help. Oddly enough, after the car sat overnight, I was again inspecting things to decide how to go about fixing the alignment and low and behold, all the pins went into place. The HPFP was still close, so I buttoned all back up and started it and it runs again! What a relief!