JSW CPO 2yr/unlim war. coverage experiances

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Bringing my 2014 Sportwagen in this coming Monday for ...

1) Raised dash panel above center vents
2) Driver sunvisor doesn't stay tight to roof (sags)
3) Rattle/loose noise from interior driver door when closing
4) Driver side view mirror cloudy in center at certain angles
5) Left front fender corrosion bubbling under paint (weird since it was a New Mexico car and only 24k miles. Rest of car is spotless.
6) Driver side chrome trim not aligned with rear door trim.

I am pretty particular with my vehicles and a lot of this stuff is petty, except for the corossion bubbling under the
paint on the left front fender. It will be interesting to see how well the dealer responds to these issues. Will keep this updated!

Jeff

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Welp - got my car back (nothing fixed yet).

HVAC - they first evacuated and recharged the system ($155 later - not CPO) but it still was not cooling properly. Refunded my $155 and ordered a new compressor .

Sunshade and drivers side vent - replacements ordered.

Going to be down two days so planning on dropping it off next Thursday and pick up on Friday afternoon. $50 for all of it - I can't complain one bit.

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Dealer called back at 4:22 after having the car all day. They are replacing the driver side mirror, driver sunvisor clip, driver door panel, and replacing/paint left front fender due to corrosion.

They are not replacing the dash where it is raised because the service writer said it is cosmetic which is not covered under warranty. I told him it is a defect because the adhesive that holds the dash pad down has obviously deteriorated in that spot. Was getting nowhere with him because he said they won't replace a $1,500 dash pad.

Is there another person or number to call to get the issue resolved? This item has been replaced under warranty with other members on the forum from this thread. Thanks for any help!

Jeff

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
Call VW Corp. another issue is if the dash vents are messed up which is very common the dash has to be replaced because they can’t clip in correctly. Tell the advisor he will get paid from VW and to do the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Spoke with the General Manager today over the phone about the dash defect warranty being denied. He is going to look into it and get back with me tomorrow (Thursday). Will keep this updated!

Last edited:

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Update: The General Manager denied the dashboard warranty claim as well. Told me he would discount the repair for me @ $1410.00! Crazy! I am thinking they have techs who don't want to do the job. I am disappointed in the customer service at this particular dealer. Anyway, they did fix the other items and will be scheduling the fender replacement and repaint early next week through VW's corrosion warranty.

kyoshofan

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Update: The General Manager denied the dashboard warranty claim as well. Told me he would discount the repair for me @ $1410.00! Crazy! I am thinking they have techs who don't want to do the job. I am disappointed in the customer service at this particular dealer. Anyway, they did fix the other items and will be scheduling the fender replacement and repaint early next week through VW's corrosion warranty.
Take it to another VW Dealer - I just had my dash replaced in my 2014 JSW 2 weeks ago under CPO - it is covered.

edatainc

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon, Black on Black
CPO Warranty

2014 JSW TDI.

I had a under the hood noise that I had self diagnosed as a turbo related leak. Noise occurred when turbo was building boost and letting off the pedal. My local dealer, Sonnen VW, heard but could not find the source. After working on the car a bit, the service manager called VW America that said to stop working on the car because I had added an aftermarket suspension. Took my car to a local TDI nerd. Matt agreed the noise was turbo related and worked through the typical areas for turbo leaks. He check the upper engine areas then put the car on a hoist for the under engine areas. Matt quickly found the source of the leak. The exhaust clamp located before the low-pressure ERG had come up done. (Note, The clamp would have been loosened and replaced during the emission fix). Matt charged me $50. Sonnen would not cover his expense because I should have either (1) returned the car to original condition (2) taken the car to another VW dealer for a second opinion.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
2011 JSW, 6M, 69,474
ISSUES:

1 rns 315 no volume on Serius XM

2 pano roof squelling/sticking

3 A/C ambient temp (non op)

4 paint clear coat "popping" various places

COVERAGE:

1 tech verified and VW tech line approved replacement. New was higher in the revision # YES!....... VW covered

2 Pano just needed reset...... VW covered

3 A/C had no charge but was vac leak tested and dye/charged...... VW would not cover. My input must have been reasonable because the system was sound, showing NO signs of tampering. I approached the service writer knowing the 134a system sat about 2 years and leaked. FACT: 90% of 10 year 134a systems are low or dead especially if not used.
Dealership was great and ate the cost.

4 Dealership was quick to justify non coverage of paint under the grounds "it was a cheap repaint". I do have some experience and this shows no signs of body/repaint. I have since confirmed uniform paint thickness reading, no body work through 1 professional source so far.

BTW don't get me wrong I absolutely love this car

more updates later 3/15/19
Since 4/1/19 I've been working with a VWoA's consumer advocate, (800) 833-8987. So far just lip service. I am dealing with the 2 remaining issues from my original post (3/15):
1) confirmed paint delamination in multiple locations (not rock chips)
2) incomplete repair of covered CPO pano roof issues. (affected damaged parts ignored)

I was holding off on an update but it's been 1 month with no direction. I would prefer VW rep would wrap this up satisfactorily. So far multiple excuses, non return of promised phone calls, not good p.r. to say the least.

MORE UPDATES to come, hopefully positive results

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
I wonder if we have the same rep or they are all that way. My VW dealer has had my car for a month now because the dealer I bought it from (Lindsay) certified a car with many problems. VW Corp has been slow because they allow Lindsay to ignore everything.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I wonder if we have the same rep or they are all that way. My VW dealer has had my car for a month now because the dealer I bought it from (Lindsay) certified a car with many problems. VW Corp has been slow because they allow Lindsay to ignore everything.

Same rep.? I WILL publish the rep. and findings if VW flakes. Seems like lip service so far and same excuse that they are waiting on the dealer. That's like raising a teenager and asking them to choose if they want a curfew.
A consumer advocate means someone that will represent your case, not get permission from their child. The child has already had the fit.

P.S. the C.P.O. checklist is only as good as the person checking it off. For example my A/C was "checked off" although it blew warm when I finally used it 1 mo. later (I bought it in a cold month). system confirmed with no leaks but 100% empty What does a "check" mean?

The battery was "checked" although the 1st week it went dead in the morning. Fortunately I demanded ALL the dealerships repairs/service info. On that it showed that the car needed jumped just to test. To their credit they were good about covering the cost of the battery when these facts were tactfully presented.

Let us know how the rep. covers your CPO.
1 800 822 8987 VW claim issues ;)

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious now how the repairs on my '12 will go - dropped it off yesterday morning and was anticipating picking it up after work today (2 days to work on a/c compressor, sunroof shade and replace the drivers air vent). Called ~4 to confirm I could pick it up and they told me it will be at least 2 more days because the "sunroof shade is a very involved repair" so new ETA is Thursday afternoon.

I'll let yall know when I finally get her back.

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed

It’s been these types of messages for a month now. I need new rotors, tires and I have a bent wheel. I haven’t seen the car since March. They finally approved that the rotors should have been changed after three weeks. Now I’m fighting over three bad tires and the wheel, possibly the dash too.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm curious now how the repairs on my '12 will go - dropped it off yesterday morning and was anticipating picking it up after work today (2 days to work on a/c compressor, sunroof shade and replace the drivers air vent). Called ~4 to confirm I could pick it up and they told me it will be at least 2 more days because the "sunroof shade is a very involved repair" so new ETA is Thursday afternoon.

I'll let yall know when I finally get her back.
Was your a/c originally diagnosed non op due to low/no charge? No CPO coverage?
Now diag. Bad pump? Are they CPO covering cost?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
VW are replacing my DPF. 50k miles, about 5k after buying the car. It should be noted that I drove the car after an EGT code, then replaced the EGT, but the car proceeded to enter limp home mode. I took it to a dealer, they didn't seem to like it, but eventually agreed to replace under warranty. For better or worse, I did not disclose the failed EGT. I assumed I could fix it easily with VCGS, considering the bank 1 EGT replacement is like a 30 minute project, I didn't see the need for a week stay at the dealer. I was wrong, they win, I win, it's winning all around.

I did notice water in my spare tire compartment. I probably should have them look at the sunroof drains while it's in there. Is this covered?
How did the drain vents work out with CPO coverage?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Was your a/c originally diagnosed non op due to low/no charge? No CPO coverage?
Now diag. Bad pump? Are they CPO covering cost?
Originally they tried to say it was a low charge and presented a repair order for a new low pressure schrader valve as it was 'compressed/damaged causing a leak' - paid $155 for the evacuate and recharge and went to go leave. Still not cooling at idle at all so I left it running for ~5 minutes (recirculate on and fan set on 3) while I went to grab my service advisor - had him sit in it and and told him it had been idling for 5+ minutes and clearly was not cooling, he agreed. Tech took my car back in the shop for another 45 mins, they then refunded my $155 and told me they would be ordering a new compressor under the CPO warranty.

What I am not understanding is now they need pretty much 4 full working days to replace an a/c compressor and the sunshade, the parts were ordered on the first visit a full 5 working days before I dropped the car off and they told me 2 days at their shop for the work. Makes me feel like they broke something else during the repair and had to order more parts, if they were honest with me and told me "oh we had to order additional parts" I would be cool with it - they just danced around it and said 'the sunshade repair is complicated or convuluted repair' or something along those lines and they need an extra 2 days to work on it. For a service shop open 12 working hours during the day I find it hard to believe they need an extra 24 hours for what should be a lets say 5-6 hour repair job (sunshade) - they didn't say anything about the compressor being a challenge.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally they tried to say it was a low charge and presented a repair order for a new low pressure schrader valve as it was 'compressed/damaged causing a leak' - paid $155 for the evacuate and recharge and went to go leave. Still not cooling at idle at all so I left it running for ~5 minutes (recirculate on and fan set on 3) while I went to grab my service advisor - had him sit in it and and told him it had been idling for 5+ minutes and clearly was not cooling, he agreed. Tech took my car back in the shop for another 45 mins, they then refunded my $155 and told me they would be ordering a new compressor under the CPO warranty.
What I am not understanding is now they need pretty much 4 full working days to replace an a/c compressor and the sunshade, the parts were ordered on the first visit a full 5 working days before I dropped the car off and they told me 2 days at their shop for the work. Makes me feel like they broke something else during the repair and had to order more parts, if they were honest with me and told me "oh we had to order additional parts" I would be cool with it - they just danced around it and said 'the sunshade repair is complicated or convuluted repair' or something along those lines and they need an extra 2 days to work on it. For a service shop open 12 working hours during the day I find it hard to believe they need an extra 24 hours for what should be a lets say 5-6 hour repair job (sunshade) - they didn't say anything about the compressor being a challenge.
So are they CPO Covering the. A/C repairs? I would make sure its not only a new o.e. compressor but the tech isnt just changing parts until it majically works. One thing that can cause warm air @ idle is low charge

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Just as a quick update - got my car back yesterday evening all buttoned up and everything fixed.

A/C - They ended up NOT replacing the compressor and just the RCV valve per the TSB. Blows ice cold now.

Drivers Vent - New vent installed.

Sunshade - Sunshade installed and works perfectly. No blemishes to headliner or any misfitting parts.

I am happy as a clam for $50.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Well case closed (for now) I will get another dealer to hopefully back my claim as aluded to by. VW rep. Alittle dissapointed by VW.

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
I filed a complaint with the VA AG’s office. Let’s see how that goes. To expect me to drive 12 hours total to replace three tires and a wheel is outrageous.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't have this info. when I started this thread. It will hopefully be of great value to a fellow JSW CPO as it was to me.

based off my 2011 JSW TDI CPO purchased 2/20/19 - 69,464k

*C.P.O. coverage 2/20/21
*exhaust flap 11/20/20
*clock spring 11/20/20 - 120k
*HPFP 120k
*TDI emissions 126K
*TDI extended drivetrain 6/20/23 - 123,464k

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The '11 went into the selling dealership on Thursday for a faulty wheel speed sensor (ABS, ESP, TPMS and Airbag warning lights going on and off randomly - it was annoying as they would correct themselves then when re-triggered would get the warning chime). Surprisingly a faulty wheel speed sensor even throws airbag faults - must be a German thing.

The errors started 3 days after purchase so after some argument they agreed to cover it without the $50 deductible. Don't think we would have gotten the same accommodation if it was another service department that was not the selling dealer.

Very happy with the service and a new right front wheel speed sensor fixed everything up and no faults since Thursday.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Well case closed (for now) I will get another dealer to hopefully back my claim as aluded to by. VW rep. Alittle dissapointed by VW.
Round 2... Ding, ding
Went to another dealer for rd 2. Great dealer with knowlegable tech.'s. Tracy VW. Diag. the typical, TSB backed a/c that Modesto VW had no clue after charging $50 (wouldnt include it w other CPO repair). RCV coming in soon to complete. BTW they cant keep them stocked as it is now very common failure point.

Paint clearcoat delamination is so minor if VW refuses I won't loose any sleep. A good detail and wax will hold off the inevitable

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Round 2... Ding, ding
Went to another dealer for rd 2. Great dealer with knowlegable tech.'s. Tracy VW. Diag. the typical, TSB backed a/c that Modesto VW had no clue after charging $50 (wouldnt include it w other CPO repair). RCV coming in soon to complete. BTW they cant keep them stocked as it is now very common failure point.
Paint clearcoat delamination is so minor if VW refuses I won't loose any sleep. A good detail and wax will hold off the inevitable

Glad you found someone to replace your RCV - hopefully that is the fix your car needs. The RCV issue affects a large part of what they have sold since it was an issue and up until a few years back they were just replacing the compressor - makes me wonder how much $$$$ they flushed down the toilet on warranty compressors all over a part that costs well under $100.

I don't know what CPO booklet you received by IIRC mine specifically pointed out that it excluded exterior paint blemishes so you may be out of luck.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Round 2... Ding, ding

Dang! Whats the TSB? So I will shove it in their throat with 2015 Passat. She kept being unreliable with AC such as driving as first start of the day it blows so hot while settings are for AC. Sometimes it blows just fine. Dropped the Passat off and waited 2 weeks and she said it blows ice cold. Ugh! (She as the service writer and newly hired) plus takata airbag recall and sunvisor clip (original broke and free labor i paid $16) plus DSG service.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I believe that mine also needs a RCV. In the last few days I’ve read enough about the RCV to make my head spin. In I different thread, Oilhammer gave out the TSB I’ll try to find it later or maybe he will chime in.
My question is, my car is not a CPO so does the TSB still apply?
I wouldn’t mind doing the job myself but I’d need to take it to someone to have it recharged anyhow

johnnyblaze99

TDI
2014 JSW
how can i check to ensure my AC unit is working properly. i feel like mine is not, but i don't want to send it in and it being ok due to me thinking its broken. i feel its not blowing as cold as it should on max settings.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
how can i check to ensure my AC unit is working properly. i feel like mine is not, but i don't want to send it in and it being ok due to me thinking its broken. i feel its not blowing as cold as it should on max settings.

Being 5 years old, might need fill up freon. If it doesn’t improve then yeah you need RCV replaced by TSB at no charge plus fresh set of freon.

I got screwed with that dumb service writer saying it blows icy cold, duh! The car is in the garage and has a easy job to blow cold plus sitting for 2 weeks wont show symptoms. So I am NOT going back to that stealership thats full of dumb people that struggled with my car for 5 failed HPFP’s.