2015 Passat TDI

jayski

TDI
NMS Passat
Good day Passatians,

I am looking into a new to me 2015 Passat TDI or perhaps even the 2015 Passat TSI if the right options are available (Highline preferably).
Can anyone confirm if the 2015 Passat's have the autonomous forward alert/braking system?
I see in the specs there is Brake Assist on the 2015's but cannot determine if this is just a brake booster aid or the safety forward brake assist system for slowing the vehicle automatically to avoid a collision with an object up ahead that is slowing rapidly or stopped.

I think it was only available on 2016 and up but am looking for your confirmation!

Thank you all!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The newer electronic nannies (forward collision assist, lane departure warning, etc) were not available in the 2015 model year Passat.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
2016+ gets that feature, not available on the 15 and there were less than 100 2016 TDI's made before the halt in production. a Unicorn indeed

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Deals can be had on 17-18 TSI Passats that would be about the same price as a used '15 TDI.

people aren't falling over the platform that's been around for 7 years relatively unchanged when they can get a fancy mainstream tiquan or atlas.

With that being said I don't think "VW" and "great drivers assist systems" are two common phrases. I've heard a lot of expensive repairs, alignments due to the radar sensors and integrated windshields. Any sort of snow renders the system utterly useless while it gives you warnings on the dash.

Last edited:

jayski

TDI
NMS Passat
Thank you

Thank you to all the respondents. I did pull the trigger and purchased the 15' TDI. I'm enjoying it already, regardless of the forward collision detection feature (or whatever terminology they've used to describe preventing running into something up ahead).
If I can find one of those 16' TDI Passats with the forward collision sensors for sale, I'd be interested. For now, I think you're right, it'd be easier finding a unicorn!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
2016+ gets that feature, not available on the 15 and there were less than 100 2016 TDI's made before the halt in production. a Unicorn indeed
I've never heard of anyone owning a 2016 Passat TDI. Are you saying there are actually some people who own such a vehicle?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I've never heard of anyone owning a 2016 Passat TDI. Are you saying there are actually some people who own such a vehicle?
If you read his statement correctly it doesn't say TDI just 2016+. There are other VW Passats in the world that are not diesel powered

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
If you read his statement correctly it doesn't say TDI just 2016+. There are other VW Passats in the world that are not diesel powered
Hmm. It says to me "there were less than 100 2016 TDI's made before the halt in production. a Unicorn indeed". So one of us is missing something.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
So I wonder whatever happened to the <100 2016 TDI's made before the halt in production (assuming they were the NMS Passats)? Given the EPA certifications were pulled back, I wonder if VW just crushed them?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe. The NMS Passat made in Chattanooga were only marketed to the United States, Canada, Mexico, and South Korea. So perhaps Mexico and/or South Korea got these few that were made (2016 Passat TDI versions, that is).