Window Tint: Ceramic vs. Non Ceramic

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
.....if you are lucky. You always pay for what you get, but you don't always get what you pay for.

Have Fun!

Don
So true...

After all this discussion, I think I'm just having it done at the dealer at my 10K service. They farm it out to a local subcontractor, but if that guy goes out of business the dealer is still the "warranty" on the tint - so it gets redone for free by whoever the then current sub is. Hoping they cut me a deal after I've bought two cars there in the past year or so :D

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Ceramic tint all the way around on my '13. Including the windshield and sunroof. Made by Solar Gard, I believe it is their Ultra Performance line. It was the highest quality available at the tint shop I went to and proved to have the best heat rejection compared to the lesser quality, standard films.

Their demonstration was a heat lamp inside a cube on a swivel base with the various films on a piece of glass on each of the 4 sides. The lamp was probably within 3" of the glass. With the Ultra Performance film in front of the lamp, you could touch and hold your hand to the glass. When it came to the other films, you would feel the heat immediately and not be able to hold your hand against the glass for very long.

My out-the-door, cash price was ONLY $700. I had the windows tinted less than a month after buying the car last March and I'm very happy with the performance of this film thus far.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
$700 :eek:
That's a hell of a lot of money for window tinting.
He said windshield too and windshield tint is especially expensive and dificult to install. You have to pay well to have it done well as it is your windshield.

$700 is more than I've paid even for trucks , but not by much, and he is California and tint costs more from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Gonzo0324

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
Yea I paid $700 for the Huper Optik and the front windshield also. The windshield was like $325 alone.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Is Huper Optik really that good? I could only find one installer for Washington/Oregon and they wanted $500 for just the sides and rear.

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
had ceramic on my audi. got pulled over all the time because it looked so dark with black interior. was only 35% which is legal here in MD.

now that i have the passat i've called around and cheapest place for ceramic is $360 at same place i had audi done years ago.

Gonzo0324

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof
Yep, i think their that good. Some of the things they are doing with their films are pretty amazing. http://autobahnwindowfilms.com/ check out their site and videos. Also go to youtube to look for some videos of people showing the amount of heat reduction they are getting with a temp laser.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
Just got my brand new car retinted (the tint my dealer put on wasn't dark enough)

ceramic 5% all the way around

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That must suck at night. I don't really want the tint as much as the UV/heat rejection properties. I would have clear if I could keep all the other properties the same.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
That must suck at night. I don't really want the tint as much as the UV/heat rejection properties. I would have clear if I could keep all the other properties the same.
I agree completely. Before I got my car I had a loaner with "legal" tint and I hated it. At night I had to roll down the windows at stop lights so that I could see pedestrians in the crosswalk. This is why I put Llumar Air 80 on all my windows (including the windshield). This tint lets 80% of the visible light through, but it blocks over half of the heat gain. It blocks heat better that most 35-50% tints.

Have Fun!

Don

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I put 5% tint on the back window of a car before and it was an absolute nightmare at night to try to back in anywhere. Won't ever do that again.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
Lol I've been driving with this dark of tint for a good amount of time (my previous car had the same tint)

Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys? I have no problem at all seeing out of my windows. I find it really odd when people say they've had dark tint and removed it because they couldn't see. I guess to each their own

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm 32 and wouldn't really want anything darker than what I have (measured at 33%). Seeing out of the side windows at night is sometimes challenging when I'm not in a well-lit area.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Lol I've been driving with this dark of tint for a good amount of time (my previous car had the same tint)

Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys? I have no problem at all seeing out of my windows. I find it really odd when people say they've had dark tint and removed it because they couldn't see. I guess to each their own
When I had the 5% tint, I was about 22.

My Dodge Magnum was about 15% in the back and side windows and neither my wife nor I could barely see anything backing it up the driveway. I had to rolldown the windows in order to use my rearview mirrors to get the car into the garage.

I've currently got 50% on my front side windows on my Passat, and 35% on my back windows and I have no problems with this level. I'm 39 by the way.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
With only 5% of the visible light getting through I find it hard to believe that anyone can have this and not have some kind of trouble with seeing out. By definition you have blocked 95% of what you can see. Maybe you are just used to "limited" vision at this point.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
With only 5% of the visible light getting through I find it hard to believe that anyone can have this and not have some kind of trouble with seeing out. By definition you have blocked 95% of what you can see. Maybe you are just used to "limited" vision at this point.
No, that would be correct if the 5% was mounted toward the inside of the car. Ever notice how it's harder to see in than out?
Is it darker than 35%? Yes.
I've also noticed that cheap tint is more susceptible to causing visibility issues because of the way the tint is made

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What? If 95% never makes it into the car you aren't seeing that 95% that is missing. Your eyes require light to see. Doesn't matter which way you put the tint. Whatever is being blocked is being blocked and not visible. It is usually easier to see out as you are usually only looking through 1 window rather than 2.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What? If 95% never makes it into the car you aren't seeing that 95% that is missing. Your eyes require light to see. Doesn't matter which way you put the tint. Whatever is being blocked is being blocked and not visible. It is usually easier to see out as you are usually only looking through 1 window rather than 2.
This is correct.

maf007

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
No, that would be correct if the 5% was mounted toward the inside of the car. Ever notice how it's harder to see in than out?
It's harder to see in because it's darker inside than out. It's easier to see inside a lighted house window at night than it is to see outside from the lighted room. All Peeping Toms know this ;)

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof
All windows as dark as they can go using Ceramic tint. Cost me $500. As for backing, that's what the rearview camera and side mirrors are for.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
As for backing, that's what the rearview camera and side mirrors are for.
But if windows are dark enough that you cannot see the side mirrors, they don't help much. Not all of us have the backup camera, my 2013 Passat TDI SE with Sun/Nav does not have a backup camera.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
It's harder to see in because it's darker inside than out. It's easier to see inside a lighted house window at night than it is to see outside from the lighted room. All Peeping Toms know this ;)
I need to get into the peeping tom business. So I can learn more about tint. I'll admit when I'm in the wrong. And this is one of those times.

Anyway, I'm happy with my tint and I've gotten used to seeing out of it with no problems.

When the heat comes about I'll comment on the effectiveness of the ceramic tint in comparison to the non ceramic tint