Valvoline 505.01 oil any good?

cdach2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI 5M, Reflex Silver RIP 255K
I have a 2004 VW Jetta PD. I've been using VW oil from the stealership since it was new. I read a while back that Valvoline has an oil for with a 505.01 rating, I also comtacted VW and received and email telling me that this oil is OK for use in the PD engine:

"Thank you for your e-mail requesting information on the appropriate oil for your Jetta TDI. I appreciate your interest in maintaining your vehicle.
Our records indicate that the following Valvoline oils are acceptable for use in your Jetta TDI:
    • Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel Motor oil SAE 5W-40
    • Valvoline Synpower MST SAE 5W-30
Please also note that our oil quality standard is 505 01 for the diesel engines."

I'm still a bit nervous. Is this oil any good? Has anyone used it for an extended period and obtained oil analysis for it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It claims to meet the standard that VW calls for it. This is all that can be said.

Beyond that ... there is no way to know which "oil that meets VW's standard" is better than another. Doing this would require taking at least 10 (or for better accuracy, 100) vehicles for each type of 505.01 oil and running each to destruction, and that is an experiment that nobody has enough money to do.

Asking "which 505.01 oil is better" is akin to asking "which is better, oranges or grapefruit"? There is no single and universal answer to a question like this.

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It appears that SynPower still isn't on VW's approval list after they supposedly have obtained 505.01 approval months ago - interesting.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I think it has shown up on list and IIRC DB posted a link, If i ever return to VAG oil it my choice.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
If it meets the specifications, that all that is really important. Using modern oils in a Model T Ford is not going to do much for the Model T, but using an oil that was commonly used in a Model T Ford would be really a bad idea in today's cars.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I finally saw Valvoline 5W40 505.01 on the shelf at my local NAPA. They had it for $7.49/qt. I noticed that it meets MB229.51 too. That made me wonder: If the MB spec is so good, why can a mere VW505.01 oil meet those specs?

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
It's on sale right now at NAPA for $4.99 a quart.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Although it's easy to say, "Just be sure it says 505.01.", I do not believe that to be true.

For example, we do think the Valvoline MST Synpower in 5-40 weight is an acceptable oil for our PD cam kit, we also know that the most popular oil that we recommend is NOT 505.01 certified. Quite honestly, it is because the Schaeffer's Oil company re-evaluated the 5-40 oil and found at the 100c temperature that they perform viscosity testing, the oil was slightly lower than intended viscosity. They took the 505.01 rating OFF. Personally, I wish they had made the oil a skosh thicker..

When we have oil testing services evaluate Schaeffer's samples, the results are consistent..."Although the oil is slightly low viscosity, it apparently does not matter, as metallurgy in the oil is excellent." That is to say, the wear index is very low for our Schaeffer's.

At the time Schaeffer's took the rating off, we had many engines running on the Schaeffer's oil. When we asked Schaeffer's if when testing, they were still using the same formula. Schaeffer's response was it was exactly the same formulation. Since we had many engines exceeding expectations with our cam kit, we decided 'field testing trumps certification'.

But that is not to throw the whole 'correct oil' concept out the window. On the contrary, we find the 'approved oils' from Castrol; TXT and SLX were very prone to sludging. We also saw comparatively early cam damage, but cannot offer any compilation. It's really about the sludge that I do not recommend it.

There are some other oils we feel may be dubious. Is there a 'best'? There are certainly better and not-as-good categories.

As example, another non-505.01 oil we had a daunting experience with was Mobile 1 TDT 5-40, Our own testing seemed to indicate the Mobile 1 was a problem. Then about 4 years ago, we had a rash of issues during a very hot summer. Several Texas and Oklahoma vehicles suffered catastrophic failure of the #4 piston and cylinder. This issue was on several cars that were driven nearly exclusively at highway speed and almost all had short interval oil changes. 4000k-6000k. The only common denominator for cylinder/ piston failure between 6 engines was Mobile 1 TDT. The decision is easy enough... NO MOBILE 1 for me.

Another issue we are seeing is with the common rail engines. From the few engines we have seen torn down and the relative short mileage that some had, my thinking is that the 5-30 weight oil for the common rail should be a 5-40 oil. I think application of low viscosity oil designations have more to do with CAFE standards and compelled fuel economy, than engine longevity. Common Rail Engines that we think should still have cross-hatch in the cylinders from initial honing, are wiped smooth in engines with as little as 150,000 miles. There is another issue we see of these engines running consistently hot; 100c-105c water temps, which exacerbates the issue.

The API index is an aid to properly identify oil for it's diesel performance. What is particularly strange for the Valvoline MST Synpower is that it's rated in the API indexes as an 'SN' oil, not the CI or CJ designation for diesel engines. However, after our review from years ago and once again, recently, we can approve Valvoline MST Synpower 5-40. So it's clear, the reason for the necessary 'diesel rating' is concerning the ability to hold diesel soot in suspension to a measured saturation point. Although it is possible some of the oils mentioned here would qualify, the CJ and CI ratings test the oil for this ability.

The API must be a 'membership company', as there are other oil companies, like Redline, whose products are touted to perform certain ways, but they don't supply any API information. That leaves me thinking you become your own field testing unit.

With all that said, I strongly agree with Gofaster and his implication that data from large samples is the way to go. Field testing is the answer. And there is likely, an oil that is overall, superior. The problem is, I only have a few oils that I can honestly say we have extensive results with, and the largest sampling is the Schaeffer's. As for most of the other oils, we are really only getting sampling information when there is a engine failure. We always ask, "What oil are you using?" That has given us a 'feel' for the business, especially for the PD motors.

I might mention, the ones who own the pre-2005.5 PD's or the 06 Beetles and Golfs, they still have the BEW engine. The BEW has proven to be a longer lived engine, regardless of straying from the best engine oils. I'd rather think it would be wiser to depend on field testing over certifications. That is why we continue with our favorite oil.

What's the best oil to use for a PD engine? We think it's Schaeffer's, based on our extensive field testing. Is there something better out there? At $6.50 a quart, our everyday price? Maybe...

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Here is some history,
2007 UOA, 9000 was still a CI+ and 2008 UOA was a CJ4 and is showing major increase in Magnesium and a reduction in Calcium.

This mix of detergents is very similar to TDT and T6 in ratio.

Wjdell and Sloppy Snood are the man in these threads.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/961160/1

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223637&highlight=wjdell

I have run 2 cases of S9000 hoping the pentrol and modtc would help stop the DLC or nitride coating distruction (wear dot) of the follower and then cam.
https://www.hauzertechnocoating.com/en/tribological/#reducing-friction
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11249-016-0737-0

if you notice from wjdell,s last thread below at 70,000 miles iron wear would jump dramatically by some of the members. This is the point where the DLC is wearing through. Now it is possible this can be a destructive point and the damage is to great and oil surface is to damaged. If one can get through this wear through zone with minimal to no scoring or gualling the follower and cam will last. One needs an oil that is compatable with the DLC. I am not sure S9000 is that oil.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958&highlight=wjdell

Here is some info on Volvoline synpower
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377575#Post2377575

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/3aa410a1-0bbd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190958&highlight=wjdell

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So there's a guy on Youtube who posts videos under the name Project Farm (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng/videos) who tests oils.

He has his own unofficial HFRR type of rig and he also does cold flow tests of brand new oil and "burned" oil.

He is always asking for oil comparisons to test. Maybe drop him a comment and ask if he would be willing to test your specific oils.