Using non-tty cam and rocker bolts - install dry or lubed?

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I bought a cam kit from Bora which came with the non tty bolts. I think these came from Franko6? Just wondering whether the bolts should be oiled before being installed or do they get installed dry? Also final torque settings are 144 in-lbs for the bearing caps and 25ft-lbs for the rocker arms and the end bolts on the rocker arms to 22ft-lbs, is this correct.

Thanks.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yes. that is Franks latest recommendation. He started out at 30 and because his grooved bearings were showing wear from cap distortion just kept lowering it.

I run my new stock M6 at 9 ft lbs and my new M8 stretch bolts at 22 and 24 effectively turning them into reusable as this is below the yield of the stock stretch bolt.

Yes all bolts are oiled as impossible to install dry. Thats why my M6 are at 9 foot lbs unstretched because of alum and oil effect.

But because you have grade 12 Franks torque figures are correct for what he wants.

Last edited:

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
So if I cleaned the bearing caps thoroughly so that there was no oil in the hole where the bearing cap bolts go in and I torque the bolts to Frank's settings, am I okay or should I be pulling them all out and putting a drop of oil under the head and retorqueing them down.

Yes. that is Franks latest recommendation. He started out at 30 and because his grooved bearings were showing wear from cap distortion just kept lowering it.

I run my new stock M6 at 9 ft lbs and my new M8 stretch bolts at 22 and 24 effectively turning them into reusable as this is below the yield of the stock stretch bolt.

Yes all bolts are oiled as impossible to install dry. Thats why my M6 are at 9 foot lbs unstretched because of alum and oil effect.

But because you have grade 12 Franks torque figures are correct for what he wants.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I would not install dry because any rough steel surface on aluminum may pickup.

Yes put some oil on the head and threads and torque moderately slowly to spec. without stopping to maintain an increasing low speed friction.

Any VW bolts that are installed dry into aluminum are coated with zinc which acts as a solid lubricate. This prevents destroying the dry aluminum thread.

o2bad455

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (MkV)
For the rocker arm bolts, and particularly the end rocker bolts if going with 22 ft-lbs for just those, it is wise to use some medium threadlocker (e.g., blue Locktite)?