ACDelco brand DEF

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I was just wondering if anyone has reported any problems with the ACDelco brand DEF?

I work at a dealership where we have a Buick GMC dealership next door in our "family" so I can get DEF cheap or maybe even free from techs that have some left over from servicing trucks.

I know DEF should all conform to the same standard so DEF should be DEF but I seem to recall some people reporting problems with Walmart or Peak brand DEF.

So, the GM stuff... It should be fine right?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I was just wondering if anyone has reported any problems with the ACDelco brand DEF?
I know DEF should all conform to the same standard so DEF should be DEF but I seem to recall some people reporting problems with Walmart or Peak brand DEF.
So, the GM stuff... It should be fine right?
DEF is DEF! unless it's been sitting in the sun for 2 years and decomposed.

Like D2 is D2.

EasyE87

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
59Bug, that’s funny. I work at a Buick/GMC in Austin,Tx and have wondered the same thing. You wouldn’t happen to work at Covert Cadillac, would you? Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I buy DEF at truck stops for less than $ 3.00 a gallon. god only knows the brand.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I buy DEF at my local Walmart or farm supply store. Note the prices, very reasonable for a 2.5 gallon container.

Walmart brand

Big R (Farm supply store common in the Midwest)

I use the VW DEF bottle for no-spill refills. Photo used without permission, sorry Peter. ;)

The VW brand DEF/Ad Blue is expensive, ~$10 for a .5 gallon. Buy one anyway just to get the bottle. The spill-proof spout is fantastic. Simply unscrew the spout, refill the bottle and reuse. As I'm older now and have a touch of arthritis in my hands so I cut a few of the teeth off the bottle with a razor knife so the spout is easy to remove/install.

Refilling the VW DEF bottle takes a little time, but the upside is there is minimal spillage when you refill the reservoir.

:)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
However you source your def, buy the lowest price it's all the same. I showed the hose and jug set up I use because that hose will not fit on the Peak/Walmart/Farm supply/etc jugs. The reason I bought one time the expensive jug of VW/Audi approved def was to get the jug that the hose threads fit on. As I said I now refill the jug with whatever the cheapest def I can acquire when I need it. I have a postfix Passat and I still only need to refill the def when I change the oil at 10k. So much for the postfix using excessive amounts of def. If the OP can get GM def for free that is great because as been said here def is def. Using the small VW blue def bottles as funnel is alright but I would rather hook up the big jug and dump it in in one fell swoop.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The VW brand DEF/Ad Blue is expensive, ~$10 for a .5 gallon. Buy one anyway just to get the bottle. The spill-proof spout is fantastic. Simply unscrew the spout, refill the bottle and reuse. As I'm older now and have a touch of arthritis in my hands so I cut a few of the teeth off the bottle with a razor knife so the spout is easy to remove/install.
I did the Kruss bottle refill thing a couple times, yeah is totally error proof but filling that bottle up 5-7 times is kinda a pain.

I've since done the toss 2.5 gal cubes (that were filled up a truck stops, local places wan $10-12/cube) into the car only when the light is on, if you're handy with a rag there's zero drips and spill and you'll never over fill if your only tossing in 2.5 gal.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Who appointed you the forum police ???
Just block him...

He talks SO MUCH CRAP. He's actually the first person I EVER blocked on any forum. LOL

I wish I could stop seeing the "he posted but I blocked him" line. I get too tempted to see what he said only to not be surprised by what he said.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I use the VW DEF bottle for no-spill refills. Photo used without permission, sorry Peter. ;)
I did the same - using the VW DEF bottle that is, not using the photo without permission. ;)

Anyway, I've found the VW bottle doesn't really last. After a number of refill cycles it started to leak. My car uses enough DEF that it takes the entire contents of a 2.5 gallon DEF jug in one shot every 10K so that's what I do now. No more refilling the VW DEF bottle for me!