Extended cranking after priming fuel system

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Okay, So I have not been able to find anything on this particular issue (quirk), but I was doing some inspecting of my hpfp on my 2013 golf tdi and pulled the Fuel metering valve (N209) to check the screen and found nothing on the screen, minus what looked like maybe some slight discoloration on the edge of one section of the screen and was not inhibiting (blocking) anything and it wiped off. There was one or two small slivers or specks in the bottom of the bowl that the valve sits, but they looked black-ish so idk if it was metal or not. I reinstalled the valve, tightened, primed the system with OBDEleven (vcds for phone) just to make sure it had plenty of fuel there. No gurgling and primed twice for 1 minute each. I went to start the car and it cranked like 4-6 times so I stopped it. Tried again and cranked 4 times or so. I stopped again, and then on the third try, it started up after 4 cranks or so. Runs fine, seems fine on power, but I am curious as to why there would be extended cranking after only removing the metering valve? Has anyone else experienced this after priming their fuel system? I also had the car start and die (stall) after priming the system 3 times (30-35 sec each and was not gurgling anymore) after a fuel filter change. I am curious as to whether this is doing damage to the pump or not. It is something that scares me. I am relatively new to the TDI scene but am very familiar with VW's and Audi's. If anyone has experience in the fuel system area of these cars, please chime in. Thanks.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I had sorta similar issue myself. My car couldn’t accelerate past half of the gas pedal or it will throw several lights on the dash. I have to keep it under half of gas pedal. It started to act up sinxe the HPFP failed 3-4 times so I took fuel meter valve out and noticed few specks like you explained so I cleaned it up completely and plug the fuel meter valve back on. It works flawlessly for several days with WOT then now its back. Seems VW mechanic didn’t completely purge and clean everything out from the failed HPFP. I am not a happy camper. They said I have to pay 2 hours for the fuel system cleaning. I said heck no! So they will let me know when they have a vw loaner car available then I can drop off my car and get it taken care of. Is your car a recent CPO purchased from buyback program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I had sorta similar issue myself. My car couldn’t accelerate past half of the gas pedal or it will throw several lights on the dash. I have to keep it under half of gas pedal. It started to act up sinxe the HPFP failed 3-4 times so I took fuel meter valve out and noticed few specks like you explained so I cleaned it up completely and plug the fuel meter valve back on. It works flawlessly for several days with WOT then now its back. Seems VW mechanic didn’t completely purge and clean everything out from the failed HPFP. I am not a happy camper. They said I have to pay 2 hours for the fuel system cleaning. I said heck no! So they will let me know when they have a vw loaner car available then I can drop off my car and get it taken care of. Is your car a recent CPO purchased from buyback program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My car is a recent purchase (Oct. 2018) and is a CPO car from the VW buyback. It does have the emissions fix on it, as well. Mine definitely has no issues driving, has good power and no hiccups while driving. Just with the cranking after priming system. I definitely would not be paying labor if it was the shop's fault they didn't clean correctly.

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Someone surely has some info regarding these pumps and why the engine might stall even after correctly priming the fuel system with VCDS. Any info is helpful.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Someone surely has some info regarding these pumps and why the engine might stall even after correctly priming the fuel system with VCDS. Any info is helpful.
Because you introduced air to the high pressure fuel circuit and the VCDS priming procedure only bleeds air from the low pressure fuel circuit.

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Because you introduced air to the high pressure fuel circuit and the VCDS priming procedure only bleeds air from the low pressure fuel circuit.
Thank you for the input. Now, will introducing air like that damage the pump at all? I would assume that the fuel would push the air through the lines back to the tank? As I said, I am relatively new to these CR tdi's. i am just trying to gather helpful info in order to keep my car on the road as long as possible

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
TTT, anyone with any info, please chime in. If priming the system fully, introduces air into the high pressure system, at any point, will it damage the pump on startup or cranking (ie, prime 2 times for 1 min each and no gurgling or anything, but has extended cranking afterwards)?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk