2012 Jetta MIL's

ky-homelite

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
New VW owner, have owned the car for approximately 2 months now. 23,500 miles. Saturday afternoon I take the car for a quick errand and the airbag, traction control and tire inflation lights were on the dash. We've had massive rains here the past week or so, so I thought maybe a sensor was wet and acting quirky. Sunday and Monday the car had no MIL's. Get in the car this morning to go to work and all three MIL's are on again. Drove to work, seemed to drive find with no issues the same as it did Saturday. Come out from work this evening and get in to come home, the lights are no longer on.

Could the massive temperature swings (eg. 27 degrees this morning, 61 this evening) or moisture cause these issues? Is there any thing I should check first if the issue keeps persisting?

Thanks for the help ahead of time, I'm new to the world of VW.

Seansf49

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I had the same thing happen recently. Only the TCS and TPMS came on as I pulled out of my driveway. We had some major temp fluctuations so I figured that is what it was as they were off the next time I drove the car. I didn't even reset the TPMS. I'd take it back to the dealership to see what's up. I feel with these Diesels the dealerships are taking a no questions asked policy when it comes to issues. I have a 2012 with 65k for reference.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I recently replaced an ABS sensor. It sets off the other lights as their function depends on the ABS working. Drove it like that for about 4k before the slippery roads made the lack of traction control an issue. Cheap, easy fix at the shop.

Original problem began with water in the well via a pressure washer. Maybe your Rains did start it.

ky-homelite

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
How'd you determine which ABS sensor it was? I need to get a VCDS cable so I can look into this further. As soon as the weather breaks a little bit I'm going to clean the sensors and see if that clears up the issue.

The car has started acting weird sometimes. When I pull out and get on the throttle pretty hard, sometimes it will feel like I've slammed on the brakes without touching them. It's done this three times now. Just randomly...it's weird. That would lead me to think there's an actual issue in the system somewhere. I'm just not personally equipped at this point to self diagnose and repair it.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
If you have a VCDS cable and software, or even a decent OBD reader that has VW/Audi capabilities, the reader will tell you which wheel sensor is faulty.

ky-homelite

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
Yeah, my reader is probably close to 12 years old. It doesn't have the VW capabilities. Something else strange happened today. Was driving along and the speedometer just dropped down 20mph for 10 seconds or so. Car never slowed down, didn't seem to affect the running or driving of the vehicle. Then it just picked back up like nothing happened and showed the 65mph I was actually driving at. Strange little car!

ky-homelite

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Sedan
Just an update, to possibly help someone else in the future. I didn't have the extra funds to purchase the Ross Tech cable so I bought the Ancel VD500. Hooked it up and had several different codes come up. Researched the codes and diagnosed the best I could. Purchased a new left front ABS sensor and installed it. All lights went off and the car drives wonderfully. The speedo hasn't glitched again since the new sensor either.