Cluster virgin mode TDI

TDIVAG

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 TDI 66KW
Hello everyone, just going to upgrade my 2000 golf mk4 tdi 66kw from immo2 to immo3. My cluster is 1j0 920 805 E so it is "plain" cluster with CAN and I find new one 1j5 920 826 C so my question is how to get new cluster in virgin mode because it is easy way, I know my original PIN on car so it would be easy to install. Thanks. By the way does someone have schematic for wiper blade switch with board computer options? On my car right now are classic style with no BC options

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
You would need eeprom software to reset to virgin state as far as I know... It's not as easy as it sounds. If you don't have vag commander or vag tacho, you need to start there first. If you have one of those, you don't need to reset the cluster to virgin state, the swap is really easy actually.

See these 2 threads

https://uk-mkivs.net/topic/10689-mk4-golf-and-bora-speedo-instrument-cluster/?hl=clock+thread

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48366

Here's the wiper stalk to green 32pin connector wiring diagram

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
So from diagram I only need 3 more wires from wiper stalk to green cluster conector and thats all?
Yup, it's pretty simple actually once you start doing it. Routing the 3 wires so it looks neat can be more tricky.

The 4th wire that goes to the green connector is the outside air temp sensor, should you wish to install one

TDIVAG

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 TDI 66KW
I will install outside temp sensor first because of wires and probably it will take most of my time. Still need to find way for wire from sensor to cluster and it will probably be pain in the neck.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
It's not that bad, I fished it around the drivers side up to the firewall hole and then through there

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Depending on your car, you may also want to run a wire for the hood sensor. The cluster will show you if the hood is open if you connect the cluster to the sensor. Some cars may already have this.

If you have the original radio, you may also be able to get the cluster to show radio and track info. Kufatec sells a harness for this.

Also, if you think you might upgrade your cluster with the ColorMFA upgrade, you may also want to run wires from your MAP sensor and (if you have one) the oil pan sensor. This will allow you to monitor oil level, oil temperature (if you have a sensor that measures temperature) and boost pressure.

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
There are also some ways you can personalize your cluster. You can make the needles sweep during ignition. You can illuminate the needles. You can change the coolant temperature sensor to "dynamic mode" (I think that's what it's called) where it will show you the actual temperature. These all require some EEPROM programming.

You can also install needles from other cars. And, if you don't have gauge faces that match your country (like MPH and Fahrenheit like here in the US), you can order replica faces from other MK4 cluster styles.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
There are also some ways you can personalize your cluster. You can make the needles sweep during ignition. You can illuminate the needles. You can change the coolant temperature sensor to "dynamic mode" (I think that's what it's called) where it will show you the actual temperature. These all require some EEPROM programming.

You can also install needles from other cars. And, if you don't have gauge faces that match your country (like MPH and Fahrenheit like here in the US), you can order replica faces from other MK4 cluster styles.
No need to mess around with eeprom editing anymore

https://www.drive2.com/l/471768829593126099/

That program (dashdump) was created to simply upload your dump, change whatever you want, click save and it spits out the edited dump for you... I did this with my new cluster and it made life so much easier. There was some features I didn't even know existed, like reducing the cluster volume (which is really nice)

TDIVAG

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 TDI 66KW
I have that switch for hood and i hope it is all connected. I will buy MFA cluster because FIS in my country is expensive and it start from $160 and i dont have original radio, it was trash. I agree that FIS is really beautiful but also expensive and very hard to find. It's impressive that on this forum I get all info and more in just few days...same info I searched for months, thank you guys.

TDIVAG

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 TDI 66KW
Cant understand anything from that page, you can install any dashdump program or there is link on that page for program? As I see that page is full of possible features

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Cant understand anything from that page, you can install any dashdump program or there is link on that page for program? As I see that page is full of possible features
Just download the dashdump 2.8 program, upload your eeprom dump file, and select which features you want on your cluster. Then dashdump will save a new eeprom file with the byte addresses changed

TDIVAG

TDI
Golf MK4 1.9 TDI 66KW
Just download the dashdump 2.8 program, upload your eeprom dump file, and select which features you want on your cluster. Then dashdump will save a new eeprom file with the byte addresses changed
How did you write new dump into cluster? I mean you read it, save and edit dump and you just press load dump and write and thats all? Or i need to disconect battery after that?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You will have to, to get like the odo to reset